Rules Engine Advice

Nodrog

Hi Everyone,

I am implementing a "rules engine" in the form of a web-application. The rules are composed of a filter and an action. Thus far I have implemented filters on note metadata. You can match on the Note Name, Text, Date, Size, Tag, Folder, or custom Checkboxes (generated from within Action Rules). Actions implemented thus far are Move or Copy Note, Add or Remove Tag, Add or Remove AR-Checkbox, Check or Un-Check AR-Checkbox.

I am currently making adjustments so that image recognition data, and office document data will be included for searching along with the metadata.

Additional actions I am considering are "assign reminder", document conversion (like Word to PDF), and maybe some form of encryption. What do you think of these?

What additional filters do you think would be valuable to add to this system?

What additional actions do you think would be valuable to add to this system?

Thank-you,

Perryn Gordon

OK, 

currently testing your app (well it's syncing right now). In the meantime, here are the filters I had in mind for my own app :

- location : if the note has been created at home or while traveling, do something

- creation/modification date : if a note is created/modified after midnight, give it chocolate

- url

- attachment (and type of attachment)

- size

- notebook : if the note is created in a specific notebook, apply a specific tag

- notebook is in stack (cf. above example)

- author

- shared : if the note is shared, do something

Actions :

- change the title

- change the body

- set location

- add url

- add attachment

- remove attachment

- send by email

- tweet ? facebook ?

Laurent

Hi Laurent,

Thank-you for the ideas, those are great! I think I read somewhere that third-party apps are not supposed rename notes though.

I will certainly implement many of these, the location one is especially interesting. The chocolate action might have to be a premium upgrade.

:)

Awesome ! thanks,

Perryn

• Level 5*

Nodrog,

I think I read somewhere that third-party apps are not supposed rename notes though.

Not sure what you were reading, but there should be no reason why you couldn't rename a note (i.e. change the note's Title).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived