Michael Hyatt

mac Feature Request: Borders and Drop Shadows

Idea

I love everything about Skitch except for one thing: the lack of borders and drop shadows. These are essential for me.

I write a lot of documentation. I have to have a way to make my screen shots stand out from the page. If I take a screen shot with a white background, then it gets lost on the page.

In terms of workflow, this means I have to move my screenshots to another tool to create the border and drop shadow.

These features existed in Skitch before the Evernote acquisition. Can you bring them back, please? Thanks.

1 person likes this

42 replies to this idea

What I really don't understand is that this discussion is already going on for more than a year and that nothing has happened in the meantime. I am still using the old Skitch version and will continue to do so until I find something better or this feature request is finally honored.

Where are we on this?

I love Evernote, but the old Skitch was much more useful in many respects. Drop shadows and boarders are key to how-to and training documents. Skitch could be THE goto app for this. The integration with Evernote is great. This is a HUGE miss and a major reason why we haven't deployed Skitch to our entire staff. Skitch is good for some minor quick and dirty docs, but not for doing real work. 

Drop shadows must be one tough feature to implement, or it's so far down the list of TODO items for the developers it's just not going to happen. I posted in this thread previously in Oct 2013, and the thread itself started June 2013.

To this day I still use the old Skitch because it has drop shadows, so I guess there's really nothing in the new Skitch I actually need. Just astonished the feature is still missing.

Just checked in with Skitch 2.7.5 to see if this had been implemented yet. Can't believe it's still not there. So, once again choosing to stick with Skitch 1. Drop shadows are one of the main features that I use with every screen grab I take every single day. I've been a loyal Skitch user on the Mac since its early days and I have to say that I'm not impressed by what Evernote is doing, or not doing, with it.

Had to upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard due to virus issues and ... after upgrading my apps ... was surprised and Greatly disappointed to find the loss of drop shadows from Skitch.  

After finding this thread, I was further blown away to find that something as simple to code as a drop shadow has still not been implemented in the span of a year.  That would take 4 hours of coding time at most, right?

After discovering Skitch two years ago, I fell in love and dropped Snapz Pro X like a hot rock.  Now I'm forced to use that again because, as Michael Hyatt so aptly indicated 15 months ago, non-drop shadow images get lost on the page.

This is an everyday tool for me that I can't use any more for that reason.

Please listen to your community of users and add drop shadows back.  Still SMH on the loss of that feature.  Maybe you poll your users the next time you're consider removing features??  Just a thought.

Have a great day!

Just want to bump this up. We are now at 2 years since the switch to Evernote and still no drop shadow, no borders.

I was reading an article online about how ineffectiveness may be costing global citizens billions of dollars (if not trillions) a year.

No joke, but just as a thought experiment, I wonder what the lack of this feature is costing skitch users:

We know that Skitch has millions of users, but lets be conservative and say it's 1 million. Now lets imagine that 2% are doing extra work to get their drop shadows or borders back on their work - so 20,000 users. Lets again be incredibly conservative and say those people spend an average of an extra 1 minute per day (perhaps they have an Automator script set up) adding the requested shadows/borders to their images. 

So now we've got 20,000 minutes per day being wasted. The average household income is $52,000 a year, even though skitch users are demographically likely to make more. There's roughly 120,000 working minutes in a year, which means that the average salary is about $0.43 per minute

$0.43 cents a minute times 20,000 minutes a day times 250 Word days a year = $2,150,000 lost from the global workforce every year. Since this thread has already been up and requesting for more than 2 years, Skitch alone has cost the world economy $4,300,000 by not implementing this requested (and previously available!!!) feature. 

I realize my math is simplistic. but I did my best to be conservative. It's not about the specific numbers, but the idea behind it.

Please seriously consider reinstating these features.

You assume every Stitch user is using the new version, but I'm sure a fair percentage is not: they are still using the old version, that supports shadows/borders. As long as the guys from Evernote refuse to listen to their users, many of us will cling to the old version. It does all it needs to do. 

I'm assuming a lot of things - almost everything - it's purely a hypothetical mind experiment. 

I'm also assuming that Skitch is aware of how many people are using their old version vs the new one and making decisions based on that info as well.

Is there any progress on this?

Also, I am not able to find old Skitch version. Is it removed?

Ironically, I was a paid customer, who paid for a feature (drop shadow) which was removed when Evernote released new version! :-(

Anyway, if there is any link to download old skitch, please share.

Evernote has become champion in removing features you paid for, the most recent one being you can only use it on 2 devices, unless you upgrade. At additional cost, of course)

Still they ironically address us as "most valuable customers"

I am using the old Skitch as well

Skitch is quickly becoming irrelevant. Sadly, id doesn't have to be. Adding boarders and drop shadows is absolutely not a difficult software engineering task. Even just a quick stroke (inside/outside) of the image would be a great start. Sure there are lots of ways you can do this with other apps, or even in Skitch with a box, but as was pointed out earlier in this thread, all wasted time. It is functionality that should be built into the app.

1 person likes this

Is there a good alternative to Skitch, then?

On Windows, we have Snipping Tool with a built in feature of always use a preset border around every clip.
I use black, and I think this is helpfull when I use the clip somewhere (like, when there is white on white).

In Skitch I have to use a square rectangle with black color, ending up with not equal thick lines in the edges.

1 hour ago, hakont said:

Is there a good alternative to Skitch, then?

The best one is Greenshot (for Windows it's the very best), and they promised to implement borders and shadows on Mac app soon.

1 person likes this

+1 for Greenshot on Windows, -1 for allowing this feature request/restore to languish for four years that so many people have voice as essential to the app's usefulness.

Evernote - you had a very modest request from a famous user four years ago, a long series of other users requesting the same feature, yet still nothing?  What does it take for users' requests to get prioritized? Every thread I find like this just ends in frustration. 

3 hours ago, prosim said:

What does it take for users' requests to get prioritized?

One factor in priortization is the user support for a feature request, as indicated by the votes received

You can indicate your support using the voting buttons at the top left corner of the discussion