(Archived) (Archived) Note editing broken on iOS 7

johnmarshall4

• Level 5*

They generally don't support an OS update until it goes to Prod.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing different behaviour  - note content is not being saved.

They generally don't support an OS update until it goes to Prod.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing different behaviour  - note content is not being saved.

Understand it is not released code - just giving them a heads up. 

What device are you running? I'm running it on an iPhone 4S. My content seems to be saved just fine. 

Same - experiencing the exact same behavior on the iPhone 5 on iOS 7. Evernote appears to be discarding edits to a note after closing.

Does Evernote ever release small batches of beta iOS App builds to the public for testing? 

• Level 5*

Yes, there is a beta programme but generally they won't look at pushing a beta that supports a new OS version until much closer to the production date. 

I can repro the note not being saved issue in my 4s. The work around: 1. Close the keyboard first. 2. Scroll to the top and wait for the note to be synched. (The triangle in the upper right goes away). 3. Then close the note.

Just tested it myself. It correctly edits the note, as it show up correctly on other devices, correctly shows the updated image/snapshot, but doesn't update it's own cache. Going back into the note shows the original. However, force closing the app and relaunching seems to clear the cache.

• 2 weeks later...

Question - so beta 2 came out which didn't fix this bug. I fully understand it's beta so Evernote has no immediate need to fix this, but can they fix this soon or can they not update to support iOS7 until it's released? I'm wondering if I should stick to iOS7 and deal with the bug for hopefully no more than a week...

Question - so beta 2 came out which didn't fix this bug. I fully understand it's beta so Evernote has no immediate need to fix this, but can they fix this soon or can they not update to support iOS7 until it's released? I'm wondering if I should stick to iOS7 and deal with the bug for hopefully no more than a week...

Please see post #2.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

People are asking legitimate questions regarding when Evernote will be compatible with the iOS 7 betas.  Answers implying we shouldn't be expecting Evernote be working on compatibility prior to final production roll-out are worthless.  Some people for example need to run iOS 7 beta on their devices for testing their own apps and don't have an extra phone for still using Evernote.  If you don't know when Evernote will be be coming out with an update that addresses the compatibility issues that is ok but kindly just say that or direct us to someone who can provide a useful answer.  

• Level 5*

People are asking legitimate questions regarding when Evernote will be compatible with the iOS 7 betas.  Answers implying we shouldn't be expecting Evernote be working on compatibility prior to final production roll-out are worthless.  Some people for example need to run iOS 7 beta on their devices for testing their own apps and don't have an extra phone for still using Evernote.  If you don't know when Evernote will be be coming out with an update that addresses the compatibility issues that is ok but kindly just say that or direct us to someone who can provide a useful answer.

Good points. However, Evernote typically does not release road maps. A developer might drop into the thread and say something, but the answer will probably be a variation of this http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/9854-iphone-os-40/?p=46151 without a specific date.

People are asking legitimate questions regarding when Evernote will be compatible with the iOS 7 betas.  Answers implying we shouldn't be expecting Evernote be working on compatibility prior to final production roll-out are worthless.

Since when is a true answer a worthless answer??? (And we are doing much more than implying.)

If you don't know when Evernote will be be coming out with an update that addresses the compatibility issues that is ok but kindly just say that or direct us to someone who can provide a useful answer.

Please see post #2.

Hi BurgerNFries, I know you are trying to be helpful but regarding this subject you don't know enough to give an answer that is useful for the question being asked so I'd prefer you either stay quiet or tell us who could get us useful information. As an app developer and long time Evernote user I would bet that Evernote is already working on iOS7 compatible versions. There are people (not you and not me) that know how far along they are. Evernote might even want to include people like us in testing Evernote's beta iOS7 compatible version. Nobody is expecting you to be able to answer every question but snarky answers saying (see answer #2 and quit wasting our time because) there will be no Evernote version that works with iOS7 until iOS7 is released is both wrong and annoying. At a minimum there will be beta Evernote versions prior to production rollout and Evernote will likely release a production version before iOS7 goes live so they don't have a huge number of upset customers on iOS7 rollout day.

• Level 5*

Hi BurgerNFries, I know you are trying to be helpful but regarding this subject you don't know enough to give an answer that is useful for the question being asked so I'd prefer you either stay quiet or tell us who could get us useful information. As an app developer and long time Evernote user I would bet that Evernote is already working on iOS7 compatible versions. There are people (not you and not me) that know how far along they are. Evernote might even want to include people like us in testing Evernote's beta iOS7 compatible version. Nobody is expecting you to be able to answer every question but snarky answers saying (see answer #2 and quit wasting our time because) there will be no Evernote version that works with iOS7 until iOS7 is released is both wrong and annoying. At a minimum there will be beta Evernote versions prior to production rollout and Evernote will likely release a production version before iOS7 goes live so they don't have a huge number of upset customers on iOS7 rollout day.

Hi. You can try contacting Evernote if you want, but I don't know if they'll answer any differently for iOS 7 than Dave did for iOS 4 http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/9854-iphone-os-40/?p=48833 Basically, I think they plan to have it ready on iOS 7 release day, and not before then. Probably the best way to go about getting word to / getting a hold of the developer(s) in charge of iOS 7 compatibility issues would be to contact customer support (see the link in my signature below).

Your question has been asked & answered many times over, even in this thread alone.  I don't know how to make it any more clear to you.

Hi BurgerNFries, again your post is of zero value regarding this issue so wouldn't it be better to simply not reply or if you have contacts within Evernote maybe you could find someone within Evernote that would like some Evernote beta testers to test Evernote's upcoming production release that will address iOS7 compatibility issues. I too am an app developer and iOS7 has caused our apps problems also and I'd guess there is zero chance that Evernote is not already working on builds to address iOS7 issues.

Hi BurgerNFries, again your post is of zero value regarding this issue so wouldn't it be better to simply not reply or if you have contacts within Evernote maybe you could find someone within Evernote that would like some Evernote beta testers to test Evernote's upcoming production release that will address iOS7 compatibility issues. I too am an app developer and iOS7 has caused our apps problems also and I'd guess there is zero chance that Evernote is not already working on builds to address iOS7 issues.

Please see post #23. I'm done here, since it's clear you seem to think asking the same thing repeatedly will generate a different answer. (This isn't like Magic 8 ball where you get a do over if you don't like the answer you get.)

• 2 weeks later...

Just did some testing on iOS7 beta 4 on the iPad with an external keyboard and I'm not seeing any problems with entering text and it seems to be synchronizing OK.  I didn't do a lot of testing but maybe between iOS 7 beta 4 and/or a recent update from Evernote the issues seem to have been resolved?!

iPhone 4s with iOS 7 beta 5 and I still have the issue.  Tried reinstalling the app a couple of times and the bug is still there.

I can usually type about 4 lines before I get the bug.

Sometimes I can scroll back up to the text in the note, other times, no matter how much I scroll I can not get back to the text with out closing the note.

Same results on iPad. Continuous scrolling down while typing. Would love if they would address it, but it's unlikely. Other big name apps I use have addressed iOS 7 bugs. Looks like we wait till mid-September. Large bummer for the pro users on the beta.

Still working perfect for me on iOS 7 beta 5 on iPad 4th Gen.  Not sure why it works for me and not others...  Maybe it is related to my using an external Bluetooth Keyboard (Logitech Ultra Thin) but I'm not seeing the scrolling issue or any others.

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another failure to add to the list of all that is wrong with it. Unfortunately, there is no decent alternative. Developers get to it.. It could be a gold mine.

On another note, I'm sure their whole dev team is running a version that works fine..

#fail

Same results on iPad. Continuous scrolling down while typing. Would love if they would address it, but it's unlikely. Other big name apps I use have addressed iOS 7 bugs. Looks like we wait till mid-September. Large bummer for the pro users on the beta.

Evernote does not support beta software or OSes.

They haven't released a fix because it isn't just a matter of bug fixes for the iOS 7 version. See http://allthingsd.com/20130611/evernotes-phil-libin-and-flipboards-mike-mccue-on-ios-7-and-os-x-mavericks/. The head of EverNote says:

It’s rethinking every part of the app. It’s going to be a total overhaul just to make the app worthy of the new iOS.”
“I’ve had some time to play with iOS 7 now and it’s confirmed my initial reaction: This is a very big deal for us,” he said. “We’re going to have to do a serious redesign of our apps to really take advantage of the new capabilities, but it’ll lead to a much better product. Lots of work, lots of excitement.”
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not getting a good feeling about the responses from folks that claim to be Evernote Evangeists - I will simply use another product that works well on Ios 7.

FWIW, I don't "claim" to be an evangelist. Evernote bestowed that upon me. And to reiterate, FYI, EN does not support beta OSes. They release updates ASAP after the OS goes live. If that doesn't work for you, then yes, you'll need to find another app.

I'm certainly not expecting Evernote to have the app ready before iOS7 is officially released. For those considering moving to iOS7 in the interim, I might note also that the tab key doesn't work in bulleted outlines. I suspect Evernote will get this fixed soon, but this is a very helpful feature for those who do a lot of outline notes. As others have expressed, the scrolling makes EN very difficult to use when typing in notes as well.

I only hope that they get it fixed by tomorrow because then we won't be Beta testers any longer and will be joined by some millions having these Usability issues.

BTW I am no longer editing notes with Evernote since this issue but use Clever for it (which unfortunately doesn't support all features). So I am really hoping this will work by tomorrow. I am not sure whether they will come up with an intermediate fix or if they are straight shooting for a big new release.

We will see - otherwise I refer to this Mantra :-)

• Level 5*

I only hope that they get it fixed by tomorrow because then we won't be Beta testers any longer and will be joined by some millions having these Usability issues.

BTW I am no longer editing notes with Evernote since this issue but use Clever for it (which unfortunately doesn't support all features). So I am really hoping this will work by tomorrow. I am not sure whether they will come up with an intermediate fix or if they are straight shooting for a big new release.

We will see - otherwise I refer to this Mantra :-)

I am hoping we see an EN update soon, because I am not sure what I will do tomorrow if I have a choice to ruin my Evernote experience or upgrade to iOS 7. I may have to survive for a while with Logmein.

• Level 5

It's not like this is a surprise for Evernote though.  They aught to have been working with the iOS betas all along (it's what a beta period is for), so your product is ready on Launch day.

Apple has been calling for app submissions for some time already so that the app is approved in time for the release.

I've seen about 50 updates to my apps come through in the last week, 22 today alone.  

I'm less than pleased to have not seen Evernote in this batch.

Again, this is why it was bad optics to have made a splash early on in the Google Glass beta, while people wondered about diverted dev time.

It doesn't look great for one of the "captains of [software] industry" to be among the first to the rarified Google Glass party, and last to the iOS 7 beta party.  It's not like this is Windows Phone numbers...

The install base is between 300 and 500 million devices capable of running the iOS evernote client.

Sources:

In January Apple disclosed they had sold 500 million iOS devices, and 300 million were running iOS6 (60%)

In June they disclosed that 93% of iOS devices were running iOS6, and 5% iOS5.

The remaining 200 million handsets are ambiguous but it's more likely a good number of them upgraded to iOS6 between January and June, than going into the landfill because they couldn't be upgraded to iOS 5 or 6.

• Level 5*

It's not like this is a surprise for Evernote though.  They aught to have been working with the iOS betas all along (it's what a beta period is for), so your product is ready on Launch day.

Apple has been calling for app submissions for some time already so that the app is approved in time for the release.

I've seen about 50 updates to my apps come through in the last week, 22 today alone.  

I'm less than pleased to have not seen Evernote in this batch.

Again, this is why it was bad optics to have made a splash early on in the Google Glass beta, while people wondered about diverted dev time.

It doesn't look great for one of the "captains of [software] industry" to be among the first to the rarified Google Glass party, and last to the iOS 7 beta party.  It's not like this is Windows Phone numbers...

The install base is between 300 and 500 million devices capable of running the iOS evernote client.

Sources:

In January Apple disclosed they had sold 500 million iOS devices, and 300 million were running iOS6 (60%)

In June they disclosed that 93% of iOS devices were running iOS6, and 5% iOS5.

The remaining 200 million handsets are ambiguous but it's more likely a good number of them upgraded to iOS6 between January and June, than going into the landfill because they couldn't be upgraded to iOS 5 or 6.

iOS 7 isn't here yet. Let's not throw our tomatoes at them yet.

The update didn't show up for me in the App Store, but when I searched for it it came straight up. Unfortunately the note I was working on in iOS 7 which hadn't synced was completely lost :( about an hour of work.

So I guess that's a bug in the updater... Warning to those updating today as the so is released.

When editing a note on iOS 7 every character I type scrolled the view up by one line until all the text is off the screen. 

The same issue... We need to update Evernote?

I updated to version 7 (Evernote) and now it's works fine.

Archived