Print to Evernote on Windows

Just wondering if we'll ever get a "Print to Evernote" option/driver for Windows like there is on the Mac. I'd love to easily be able to easily copy the contents of documents from programs like MS Word, Excel, etc. to Evernote while at work. Simply embedding the document (as is currently possible) isn't always the best option, especially if I want to be able to access and view those documents while on my Android device. The ability to print to Evernote would be incredibly helpful in this way.

One of my co-workers (a big fan of Evernote) recently had MS OneNote installed on his work PC, because this kind of functionality doesn't exist in EN.

Not a direct fix,  but I can print to PDF which does the job;  if you print to an Input Folder too

I would love to be able to print to evernote so that a PDF (or similar) doc is the note rather than embedded in the note.  For example, I want to save my flight booking info into Evernote without all the junk on the web page.  If I print booking it does a clean copy but I can only save that as a PDF or send to printer.  Would be great if I could send this to Evernote.

Not a direct fix,  but I can print to PDF which does the job;  if you print to an Input Folder too

I would love to be able to print to evernote so that a PDF (or similar) doc is the note rather than embedded in the note.  For example, I want to save my flight booking info into Evernote without all the junk on the web page.  If I print booking it does a clean copy but I can only save that as a PDF or send to printer.  Would be great if I could send this to Evernote.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/18437-how-to-i-print-to-evernote/

Hi Guys,

I'm still not getting this.  Sorry if I am being dumb.  I have printed the PDF to my Input folder but it still appears as an embedded item in my note.  The only way I can think around it is to find a PDF reader that will allow me to print as an image to the input folder.

Can you see an actual PDF document as a note I guess is the real question? So that you don't have to go into your note and then double quick the 

@gazumped are you able to see the actual document in your note by printing to the input folder?  If so what program are you using?

Many thanks

2 options for your "problem":

1) Print via pdf-printer into a jpg-file (bullzip can do so, for example)

2) Check or uncheck the option in the context menu "view as attachment" - this does the trick with pdf-files, as well. However, you will always only see the first page of the pdf document. 

Cheers, EvB

• Level 5*

Hi Guys,

I'm still not getting this.  Sorry if I am being dumb.  I have printed the PDF to my Input folder but it still appears as an embedded item in my note.  The only way I can think around it is to find a PDF reader that will allow me to print as an image to the input folder.

Can you see an actual PDF document as a note I guess is the real question? So that you don't have to go into your note and then double quick the 

@gazumped are you able to see the actual document in your note by printing to the input folder?  If so what program are you using?

Many thanks

Hi - I don't print direct to an input folder because sometimes Evernote tries to grab the file before the printer has finished with it and there's an unseemly tug of war.  I do print to another folder then OCR and click/ drag the content to my input folder 30/40 at a time.  All those files show up in desktop notes as actual text and pictures - if you're using a mobile client,  the files always show as attached icons.  The software is Adobe 9.

• 2 months later...

I was just thinking to myself that this would be a perfect solution, and a real selling point for the premium membership. 
I'm glad to see that I wasn't alone in thinking that this was a good idea.

Evernote team,
Take note. This would really set your solution apart from those of your competitors.

• Level 5*

I was just thinking to myself that this would be a perfect solution, and a real selling point for the premium membership. 

Evernote team,

Take note. This would really set your solution apart from those of your competitors.

Which competitors were you thinking of?

Evernote team,

Which competitors were you thinking of?

OneNote, for instance, supports printing to clipping. So, rather than setting apart it would bring Evernote in line with a competitior, at least in this feature.

• Level 5*

I think Evernote has a number of advantages over OneNote so I don't see them rushing to correct the omission on this account.  I'm sure the request has been noted - we'll just have to wait for the implementation when its feasible.

I think Evernote has a number of advantages over OneNote so I don't see them rushing to correct the omission on this account.  I'm sure the request has been noted - we'll just have to wait for the implementation when its feasible.

Absolutely there are advantages.  However, I assume that Evernote is striving to be the very best.  I am a long time computer user and I am thrilled by capability and vastness of the Evernote vision.  However, the old world approach prior to Evernote (maybe we are going to lofty here) was to print and file.  To do that you right click in your document or page and select print.  So if I right clicked and had an option to "Send to Evernote"  I would be reducing my printing significantly.  The current proffered solution is make a pdf, find it, then copy or email it to Evernote.  The email solution is elegant can we not bring this to the development team and strive to be the very best!

I have been an Evernote user for about 2 years but it is only in the last week having read an article on getting organized that I realized the true power of this significant application.  

• Level 5*

I agree a million percent. I just signed up for EN business and assumed printing directly to EN was a given. We are migrating from Onenote and my team is taking this pretty hard.

The usual caveats about "assume" still apply. It would be useful for some, certainly (I might use it myself), but "printing" to PDF staight into an Evernote import directory works well, too. I am a little surprised that no third-party dev has taken this on, I will confess.

Jefito,

EverNote is a great product.  For PC and Office users the transition to EverNote would be very easy, if a right click and Send to EverNote was available.  The goal is taking away the barriers to an easy transition to every day and every way use EverNote. 

So make it easy for the newbies.  

Thank you for jumping in.

Bruce

• 1 month later...

For PC users, I suggest getting ImagePrinter Pro. http://code-industry.net/imageprinterpro.php

Set the save folder the same as your Evernote Import Folder.  Turn "Launch Application" off.

You can print your docs not only to pdf but to JPG, GIF and more -- including RTF!

If you set the output print to RTF or JPG (and gif too, I think), the imported doc will actually display in the note body in Evernote and not as an attachment.

Scott Graham

Boston Business Coach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Judging from both my requirements and that of many on this forum Print to Evernote driver has been an ignored and now neglected Use Case with the design team.  Of a slew of Trunk (previously) applications (some marginal to very marginal) and ways to assimilate information, I am very surprised that the designers of Evernote seem to neglect this useful functionality.  

If Evernote were to embed advanced analytics to measure "Sources of acquiring and then storing information" then usage of Print to Evernote among its users will be at the top of the heap.  Per my usage pattern (and if extrapolated to others in a representative user base), it would easily be in the top 3 or top 5 ways to source/gather/store information through a variety of applications on various O/S platforms.  Users have been requesting, asking, and at some point should be demanding this functionality so that it is prioritized and made available to make the Evernote ecosystem as pervasive and robust as possible.  

My few cents...This should be treated as core functionality not a nice-to-have app/plugin.  Besides the Hardware partners of Evernote are already providing or having to provide this functionality.  If Evernote were to include these drivers then it would be easier for more hardware partners to quickly get on board the Evernote ecosystem.  

• 2 months later...

Here's the number one reason I need it.

I often want to clip an article to evernote.  But the article is on multiple pages so I have to go clip each page and manually add them together.

Sometimes the website is nice and has a "view in single page for printing", and that is great. I can clip it all at once.

But other times the option is "save as pdf" which puts the whole thing automatically into a pdf which pops up in my pdf viewer.  In this case I have no way to get the text of that article into evernote. 

I would like a plug-in to a pdf viewer that you could click to add that to Evernote.

Thanks

Cindi

• Level 5*

I often want to clip an article to evernote.  But the article is on multiple pages so I have to go clip each page and manually add them together.

Sometimes the website is nice and has a "view in single page for printing", and that is great. I can clip it all at once.

But other times the option is "save as pdf" which puts the whole thing automatically into a pdf which pops up in my pdf viewer.  In this case I have no way to get the text of that article into evernote. 

I would like a plug-in to a pdf viewer that you could click to add that to Evernote.

Thanks

Cindi

Try using Clearly - in most cases it will assemble multi-page articles into one clippable item.

I've had both OneNote and Evernote installed on my machines since 2007.   Virtually never use Evernote, but use OneNote constantly & have GB's of files now.  I print material to OneNote every day, because it is so fast & convenient.   This missing option in Evernote is the main reason I haven't used Evernote much.

But other times the option is "save as pdf" which puts the whole thing automatically into a pdf which pops up in my pdf viewer.  In this case I have no way to get the text of that article into evernote

Not quite what you want, but will save you a couple clicks.  If you switch your pdf viewer to Foxit Reader, under the "Share" menu you can save the pdf straight to Evernote.  You can also use Foxit to set up a print-to-pdf printer, and set an option on the pdf printer to automatically open the file in Foxit Reader, saving another click or two.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I've had both OneNote and Evernote installed on my machines since 2007.   Virtually never use Evernote, but use OneNote constantly & have GB's of files now.  I print material to OneNote every day, because it is so fast & convenient.   This missing option in Evernote is the main reason I haven't used Evernote much.

^^^ This.  I use OneNote all the time to copy notes from webpages, pdfs, etc., because I can just right click and send to OneNote.  No such thing with Evernote.  

• Level 5*

Amazing how many folks don't use Evernote but still read the Forums...  and if you're copying from webpages,  PDFs etc,  then there are already about a dozen ways to get the content into Evernote if you wish to.

• Level 5*

^^^ This.  I use OneNote all the time to copy notes from webpages, pdfs, etc., because I can just right click and send to OneNote.  No such thing with Evernote.  

Funny, in my browser window, I can just right-click and send a page, a screenshot, or a bookmark direct to Evernote. Or I can use the web clipper and do fancier stuff. And in Explorer, I can send a file directly to my Evernote Import directory. If OneNote is working for you, then hooray, but please don't spread misinformation about Evernote. Thanks.

Funny, in my browser window, I can just right-click and send a page, a screenshot, or a bookmark direct to Evernote. Or I can use the web clipper and do fancier stuff. And in Explorer, I can send a file directly to my Evernote Import directory. If OneNote is working for you, then hooray, but please don't spread misinformation about Evernote. Thanks.

I wasn't trying to spread misinformation.  I come back to Evernote on occasion and see if it can do that.  Which, by what you are saying, it can.  However, I cannot figure out how to do exactly what you just stated.  I would switch to it permanently if I could get it to do that in Chrome, Firefox and/or on my Android phone and tablet.  If it can do all of that, great.  But, I have Evernote installed on my PC, phone and tablet and nowhere does it allow me to do that.  

Amazing how many folks don't use Evernote but still read the Forums...  and if you're copying from webpages,  PDFs etc,  then there are already about a dozen ways to get the content into Evernote if you wish to.

I use it sometimes.  Come back frequently to see if newer versions do the things I need it to.  

• Level 5*

Have you installed Evernote's Clipper and Clearly for Chrome and Firefox and the App and widgets on your Android?  They should all be in the appropriate 'App Store' for the device.  Those tools should give you the options you're looking for.  But really - we're not here to steal happy users of other software - if you're happy with OneNote,  why change?

• 1 month later...

I've been an Evernote user in every version of Windows since Vista and AFAIK there has never been a 'Print to Evernote' option.

If you can open this link then please see the last but one printer in my computer as a proof of my claim:-

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s385/sh/3e76f79a-ac7c-44b4-a060-2e9cbb340f61/27ff771452e424615bec2a8a45f86327 

Hope Evernote and others can take advantage of this.

• Level 5*

I've been an Evernote user in every version of Windows since Vista and AFAIK there has never been a 'Print to Evernote' option.

If you can open this link then please see the last but one printer in my computer as a proof of my claim:-

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s385/sh/3e76f79a-ac7c-44b4-a060-2e9cbb340f61/27ff771452e424615bec2a8a45f86327 

Weird,  but that's never been available to me at least - maybe it's an OS thing.  If that's gone now,  no idea how you'd get it back.  Did you ever use the option?  What was the result?

Weird,  but that's never been available to me at least - maybe it's an OS thing.  If that's gone now,  no idea how you'd get it back.  Did you ever use the option?  What was the result?

I just did it. I printed our this very conversation: http://www.evernote.com/shard/s385/sh/563694f4-375a-41ac-9dc9-e876add482e2/904b82521767f316d27bbeba831d9c3f 

• Level 5*

¿ If you can still see / use the option,  why the original query about 'getting it back'??  (#30)  And the forum is third-party software, so the share options are theirs not Evernote's.  (The 'print to Evernote' that you see is the title of this thread).

¿ If you can still see / use the option,  why the original query about 'getting it back'??  (#30)  And the forum is third-party software, so the share options are theirs not Evernote's.  (The 'print to Evernote' that you see is the title of this thread).

Because I can't get it working on the other two computers? 

What I'm saying on this forum will help others, and you too perhaps. I don't see any reason to get upset?

• Level 5*

:)  No upsetness involved,  just confused..  Still don't know how or why that entry appears in your printer dialogue,  but AFAIK there are no current options to 'print to Evernote' in any OS.  If anyone knows better I would,  indeed be interested.

• Level 5*

I don't think that this is an Evernote feature. Never heard of it, myself, and I certainly remember people asking Evernote for this sort of feature.

Your "printout" is a PDF attachment, so I'd guess that this some 3rd-party PDF driver enhancement. It sets up a "Print to Evernote" driver that just makes a PDF file, and then bundles it off to your account.

• 1 month later...

I've never totally understood the disparity.  On OSX, when you go to print from any app, you can "Save as PDF".  That menu is extended when Evernote is installed to say "Save PDF to Evernote" and "Save PDF to Skitch". It's wonderful - works with any app.   I am not sure why the Windows analog was never a proper feature.  Clippers are great, but a print driver allows every other non-browser app to dump straight into evernote without writing individual clippers....mail clients, powerpoints, backoffice apps, etc.  The formatting and layout are handled by the print layout.  Just need to route to Evernote a PDF output.  

I suspect it has something to do with licensing.  On OSX, PDF creation is built-in to the OS.  It's a third party thing for Windows.

• Level 5*

I suspect it has something to do with licensing.  On OSX, PDF creation is built-in to the OS.  It's a third party thing for Windows.

That would most likely be correct. That, plus the fact that free PDF print drivers are readily available for Windows would tend to put a lower priority on this feature for Evernote to build/license, I'd guess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It is very simple to get a PDF into Evernote. From the file browser, right click on the PDF and select "Open with . . . " - If Evernote does not show up as an option, select "Choose Default Program" and browse to your Evernote executable (uncheck set as default). You only have to do this once. From now on, Evernote will show up as an "Open with" option.

I realize this means you have to have the file saved to your hard drive first rather than going directly from Acrobat Reader. However, if you have a PDF open in your browser, you can use the File Download option and elect to "Open with" Evernote. And if you did the step in Paragraph 1 to create Evernote as an Open With option, it will show right up.

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone,

I've been using evernote for a while, just recently I upgraded to evernote for business to go paperless. For print to evernote we are using Foxit Phantom Standard for pdf software. It comes with a 'print to evernote' driver. In any program you want to print you just click 'print to evernote' It then creates a new note in the stack you currently have open. From there you move the note to where you need it. It works pretty good.

• 11 months later...

I used OneNote untill now. I want to try Evernote and agree that it would be helpfull if EN releases a printer driver. The work arounds suggested may work but handy and pleasant is a printer driver. I will look in the last suggestion in Foxit Phantom.

Archived