(Archived) How to have a professional and personal use of Evernote with only one account ?

Hi,

I have a premium account of Evernote in which I have everything I need to remember. I used it for personal and professional needs.

I used it at home only because I don't want to have all my personal stuff inside my business computer.

In order to use it at work, I created a free account and I shared my professional notebooks with my free account.

Occasionally, I'm limited by free accounts limitations. It's a little bit frustrating as I have a premium account. 

I could use TrueCrypt based solutions to have my whole account protected on my business computer but I'm not a big fan of that kind of solution as I change regularly the computer and it implies to authenticate every morning. 

I prefer to have only my business stuff locally. 

Is there a way to handle this situation without buying a new premium access ?

Maybe by linking my premium and free accounts ?

Maybe by allowing partial synchronization of my premium account ?

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Hi - welcome to the forums.  It depends very much on what you want to do with your personal account while at work.  If you need full premium access to an account,  then you're pretty much limited to eating the security risks and installing the whole thing locally.  Short of that, you could use the web version for access,  though the interface has some limitations; you could carry a tablet or phone with your account details,  though mobile access is also (and differently) subject to its own quirks.  I actually manage fine with a combination of a smartphone and occasional use of the web interface, though your mileage..

OK thanks. That's what I thought. 

Would be good to have a mean to link (even temporary) a premium and a free account or give "sudo" rights to a free account for special occasions. 

• Level 5*

OK thanks. That's what I thought. 

Would be good to have a mean to link (even temporary) a premium and a free account or give "sudo" rights to a free account for special occasions. 

As far as I know, joined notebooks have to be downloaded in their entirety on the desktop, so I am not sure what you have gained by joining your Premium notebooks from your Free account at work. Correct me if I am wrong (I am not on my Windows machine at the moment) but your data is on your work computer in either case. 

• Level 5*

The major problem would be that you're giving a 'free' user the rights to use up the higher limits that the premium account has paid for without any visibility of the amounts being consumed.  I get by creating notes on my phone - usually by taking a quick pic of something and adding a header - and typing more detail (if necessary) later,  or on the web.  Anything else you can send to your own account email address with !reminder @notebook #tag additions in the subject line.

Hi,

@GrumpyMonkey : I joined only some notebooks (the professional ones), so my personal notebooks are not on my business computer. Plus, as I use only shared notebooks with my free account, I was hoping the free account would not be impacted by quotas on these notebooks.

The mail feature will do the trick when my quota is reached I guess and of course I still can use TrueCrypt.

• Level 5*

Hi,

@GrumpyMonkey : I joined only some notebooks (the professional ones), so my personal notebooks are not on my business computer. Plus, as I use only shared notebooks with my free account, I was hoping the free account would not be impacted by quotas on these notebooks.

The mail feature will do the trick when my quota is reached I guess and of course I still can use TrueCrypt.

I am pretty sure that anything created in a joined notebook applies to the notebook owner's upload, so you are right in thinking that you can manage it this way.

If I were you, I'd be sorely tempted to run Evernote off of an encrypted flash drive. I'm pretty sure Windows folks can easily designate the location of their database, and unlike Mac folks, it ought to be possible to locate it off the main drive (actually, I think Mac users "can," but it is such a pain that no one does).

BNF is the expert with this stuff. Maybe she'll join the conversation at some point.

As regards moving your evernote database location, i did it twice on windows (with TrueCrypt) and Mac (with a sparse bundle or maybe a dmg). It worked fine on windows but crashed at some point on mac. Evernote support wasn't very supportive with this approach and advised me to let the database at its default location.

The flash drive is a good idea and I'm thinking about it.

About the joined notebooks quotas, in my tests when connected with a free account, whatever the owner, your quota is impacted. 

• Level 5*

As regards moving your evernote database location, i did it twice on windows (with TrueCrypt) and Mac (with a sparse bundle or maybe a dmg). It worked fine on windows but crashed at some point on mac. Evernote support wasn't very supportive with this approach and advised me to let the database at its default location.

That was my understanding about the Mac as well.

About the joined notebooks quotas, in my tests when connected with a free account, whatever the owner, your quota is impacted.

That sounds odd to me. I will give it a try this week, though, and see what happens.

Archived