(Archived) Highlighting and Commenting in pdfs

I was wondering if there are any products or solutions (Evernote only, a mix of Evernote and something else...or I guess a non-Evernote product would work too!) for annotating and having a text based list of your annotations. 

To be clear. I want to:

1) Write on pdfs, or pictures, or whatever and be able to see a list of what I have written in a high-light/copy/paste-able format. Some e-Readers offer this.

2) Be able to highlight passages and again have a list of what I have highlighted in a format I can copy & paste the actual text words (that is, not just an image of the highlighted text).

I'm a Windows user so I don't have the new pdf thing with my Skitch but even so, when I viewed the videos, it looks to me like the summary page that is added contains images of the annotations, not the actual text in a highlight-able format. Could someone please confirm this for me?

Are there any solutions?

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums.  I don't know of anything which might help you with this.  Sounds like you need a specific app to capture your annotations;  maybe something you could interest a developer in, since I can see it would have some uses in collaboration situations..

• Level 5*

Hi. On the desktop, I don't know. On the iPad (where I do most of my work), most apps will do this (iAnnotate, PDF Expert, GoodReader, etc.), and I use it on a daily basis to copy/paste my notes into Evernote. Of course, this only works for typewritten text, not handwriting.

So to be clear you can both get a list of your annotations (the words you actually typed) and also a list of the text you highlighted and both are in a text format which you can copy and paste (not simply search)? If I have to I will borrow an ipad :) I really need to mark up a bunch of pdfs for research and retyping or doing it by hand will just take way way way too long.

Well I used to be able to open my docs in Preview and add text boxes and highlighting there.  Can't do that today.  Great.  I'm prepared to work on this today, Sunday, and now I can't.  Really effing frustrating.

• Level 5*

So to be clear you can both get a list of your annotations (the words you actually typed) and also a list of the text you highlighted and both are in a text format which you can copy and paste (not simply search)? If I have to I will borrow an ipad :) I really need to mark up a bunch of pdfs for research and retyping or doing it by hand will just take way way way too long.

Yes :)

Archived