Highlight text within evernote

dal2dal

Idea

I'm a Mac Premium user and have had Evernote for a couple of years now, but have only recently become a huge fan. Love the application, but the lack of being able to highlight text within a note limits my ability to use Evernote as fully functional note taking app. Before I invest more time in loving this app -- can someone tell me if this is even on the table as a future (short-term) update?

32 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Stop it! I think we've got to get something new to the Mac app quick. Otherwise, how do we keep ahead of the Windows folks?

That's gonna take a lot more than an Evernote app.

:-o

Easy now. Don't make me come over there and swap out your Windows computer for a Mac! Seriously, though, I like the Windows interface a lot, and prefer it to the Mac one. The sidebar, in particular, is quite nice.

Of course, this is just an "eye of the beholder" thing, but I'm guessing a Cloak of Mirroring is in order (please excuse the Baldur's Gate reference) that gave us a similar sidebar wouldn't upset anyone over here on the Mac side. Some black on gray (instead of gray on gray) text would also be welcome. I don't think it has to look exactly the same on each platform, but it ought to work the same, and it seems to me that the Windows one makes a little more visual sense.

• Level 5*

Get the latest version of the app - highlighting is now supported.

Waugghhhh. Windows users don't get the love!!! Wauggghhhhhh!!!!!

Tell someone who cares...

Jack cares, even if you don't. It's OK, we Windows users are tough -- why we've had to put up with inconsistent, inferior interfaces since, well, Windows -1 (DOS). And all without the benefit of Protective Black Turtlenecks of +2 Überhipness. Now behave, or I might need to remind you about that little revolution thing we had over here where we whipped your redcoats all bloody, then sent 'em home crying for their mamas...

• Level 5*

I'd like to highlight (see what I did there?) that if you'd stuck with us you'd have proper sport, tea instead of coffee and be able to spell correctly etc etc.

• Level 5*

But, Marmite. And you also seem to believe that fried tomatoes are a breakfast item.

On the other hand, I actually like soccer, er, football. And your beer seems OK. :)

• Level 5*

Umm - maybe I am missing something - but if mac users are capable of highlighting, shouldn't it be visible (and an option) of EN online?  Don't see it though...?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. Highlighting is not supported in every client. Different teams are assigned to each client, and so you might find that the Mac version gets something (like highlighting) before other ones (like the Windows or Web client) get it.

• Level 5*

Get the latest version of the app - highlighting is now supported.

Waugghhhh. Windows users don't get the love!!! Wauggghhhhhh!!!!!

Tell someone who cares...

Ok, I just have to reply to this one.  I cannot believe this still hasn't been implemented.  Look, all I ask for is this:  give me the same formatting options that I get with gmail.  I don't need anything more complicated than that.  Is this some kind of rocket science?  I seem to check back every year and this still isn't done.

Here's a quote from a recent email I received from Evernote, touting how great the product apparently is:

Five years and tens of millions of users later, people have done more with Evernote than we could have ever dreamed. They've used our products to plan vacations, stay organized at school, run their businesses, and just about everything in between.

Please don't send me emails like that until you can get some basic stuff working.

--Kai M.

I'm a Mac Premium user and have had Evernote for a couple of years now, but have only recently become a huge fan. Love the application, but the lack of being able to highlight text within a note limits my ability to use Evernote as fully functional note taking app. Before I invest more time in loving this app -- can someone tell me if this is even on the table as a future (short-term) update?

Here's a workaround that allows you to highlight in Evernote! The solution is a bit kludgy (but easy), and it's better than nothing until Evernote releases the full-highlighting capabilities that we all want.

http://metadata.mx/highlighting-evernote/

Hope this helps. Cheers!

tomz -- AWESOME! Have tested this and it was so easy. Thank you so much for posting this work-around!

Here's a workaround that allows you to highlight in Evernote! The solution is a bit kludgy (but easy), and it's better than nothing until Evernote releases the full-highlighting capabilities that we all want.

http://metadata.mx/highlighting-evernote/

Hope this helps. Cheers!

Please search the board on the topic. This has been discussed a lot. In a nutshell. EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs & it's probably going to be on all clients eventually.

Well aware it's been discussed and have read many of the discussions, just didn't see anything recent from a mac user and wanted to add my voice to those requesting that highlighting be supported.

Please search the board on the topic. This has been discussed a lot. In a nutshell. EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs & it's probably going to be on all clients eventually.

Archived