(Archived) "moving" notes between notebooks actually copies them

richierich

Idea

Everytime I try to "move" several notes at once to another notebook, it seems to copy the notes - that is, the notes go to the new notebook, but they also stay in the old notebook. So I tried deleting the notes from the old notebook, but then they were also deleted from the new notebook too. I've tried this several times and I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

6 replies to this idea

Everytime I try to "move" several notes at once to another notebook, it seems to copy the notes - that is, the notes go to the new notebook, but they also stay in the old notebook. So I tried deleting the notes from the old notebook, but then they were also deleted from the new notebook too. I've tried this several times and I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you're confusing stacks with notebooks.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36023-moving-and-deleting-duplicate-notes/

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums. BNF might be right, so please take a look at the linked thread and see what you think.

This might be a bug, or it might be that you haven't waited long enough for the processing to finish. In the past, ghost notes have sometimes remained in a notebook after moving, but usually only one for that particular bug. As for the processing. I just moved 6,000+ notes from one notebook to another. It took a while for the processing to finish. They looked like they were in two notebooks, but after a few minutes, it all got sorted. Could you provide us with more details? Also, you may want to contact support (see the link in my signature), but be aware that it is the weekend, and you probably won't hear anything until Monday.

I am aware of stacks, but I really was moving 12 notes from one notebook to another.

It has been a couple of hours since I tried first moving the notes from notebook X to notebook Y.   After moving the notes, redundant sets of notes were existing in both notebooks. When I deleted the notes from notebook X (the notebook I was moving the notes from), the redundant notes in notebook Y were also deleted. After restoration of these deleted notes from Trash, both sets of redundant notes re-appeared in both notebooks.

The original sets of notes had a tag applied to them. Would this have an effect?

• Level 5*

I am aware of stacks, but I really was moving 12 notes from one notebook to another.

It has been a couple of hours since I tried first moving the notes from notebook X to notebook Y.   After moving the notes, redundant sets of notes were existing in both notebooks. When I deleted the notes from notebook X (the notebook I was moving the notes from), the redundant notes in notebook Y were also deleted. After restoration of these deleted notes from Trash, both sets of redundant notes re-appeared in both notebooks.

The original sets of notes had a tag applied to them. Would this have an effect?

I don't think so.

This sounds like a bug, though one I haven't experienced before, so I am afraid I cannot offer any advice. It might be interesting to see if you sync and see the same results in your account at www.evernote.com. I am assuming that you would, so I am sorry to say that it doesn't fix your problem. If you do see something different, then that would indicate that the bug is serious (incorrect syncing). Please let us know what you find, and I encourage you to contact support and start a support ticket (please post the ticket number here if you do).

Thank you for your thoughts. I have tried various steps such as syncing, shutting the evernote app. By the way, I have been experiencing these issues on my mac laptop. I have not yet tried other devices, but I will. I will submit a ticket if it continues to be a problem.

I thought I was having the same problem, so I did a search on the topic that brought me here.

I was experiencing the exact same thing you described. Turns out, the software works different than I thought. It was actually moving note, but I thought it was in both locations. Here is why.

- I had a note in my "Actions Pending" folder. It contained the tag "1-Now" 

- I completed the task, so I moved the note to my "Completed" folder.

- I click on my "Actions Pending" folder again, then click on the tag "1-Now"

- I see the note. Look in my completed folder, and I see the note.

WTF, right?

Turns out, on the Mac version of software, when you click on a notebook, you are in that notebook. If you then click on a tag, the software automatically dumps you back to "All Notes" and the note shows up. I though I was in "Actions Pending" when really I am now looking at "All Notes."

The solution was to be in the Notebook you want to be in first (in my case Actions Pending) and then doing a command-click on the tag I want. Then, it gives the result I expected in the first place.

Hope that helps.

Brian

Archived