(Archived) New List View on OS X Version 5.1.0

Gregory Smith

Idea

Before the last update to 5.1.0, the display pane for the list view was on the bottom.  After the upgrade, the display pane has moved over to the right hand side.

I don't mind the new list view with the display pane on the right on my desktop since I have a wide screen monitor.  HOWEVER, the new arrangement is a pain on my laptop.  I used to have ten inches to display the create date, a fairly complete title, the last update date, the note size, and a few tags.

Now, I have less than six inches which means that displaying the created and updated dates leaves me with some titles that are so abbreviated as to be nearly meaningless.

Is there some magical menu entry or keystroke that will:

1)  Move the display pane underneath the list pane so I have the full ten inches for the list?

2)  Get rid of the display pane entirely?  or

3)  Get a horizontal scroll bar on the bottom of the list so I can scroll to see a complete title on my note?

27 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

And, many users (myself included) have been asking for a vertical list view like the one already available in Windows.

Hey GM, is the new view on the Mac like the list view on Windows? If so, I'd have to say that's the view I use most often & find the most useful. (Or else I wouldn't use it the most!  )

I'd say it is the same, but I haven't compared them closely yet (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=106). I am thrilled with it, and my experience with the app has improved substantially.
Posted · Hidden by GrumpyMonkey, May 29, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by GrumpyMonkey, May 29, 2013 - No reason given

Adding our family account to the "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back horizontal list view." 

I have 4 premium accounts (personal, wife, family, and organization) and in all of them we use
Evernote practicing "The Secret Weapon" system, the new vertical is hamstringing us.

PS - since we pay for multiple premium accounts I will add our voice through each.

Evernote - thank you so much for listening to your users.

Heather brings to light the point I was thinking as I read through this thread. Sometimes things change as steps to new versions.  In my own work I have in the past had to remove one feature temporarily to implement a new one just because of the complexity of how they interact.  Then after the feature being demanded by my users is in place I can work on re-integrating the "lost" feature.

Unfortunately it causes some users who rely on that feature pain.  To the number of users wanting reminders, we must add the number of those who want all versions to be in sync.  I feel that this is a goal of Evernote where possible and perhaps the Top List View was a short-term casualty of keeping them together.  I know the frustration when "the other platform" gets a feature I would love to use and can't because it's not on my platform yet.  

Remember, a software business like Evernote is a delicate house of cards and compromises and sometimes they have to let part collapse to save the whole.  It's not fair, and it's not nice, and it's not good business for those who love the missing feature, but it is sometimes necessary for the company wellbeing.

I am nothing more than a happy Evernote user - nothing I say should be taken as how Evernote really functions ;)

I created an account here so I could comment. I also perceive the new view to be a downgrade. I often only need to view a few rows of note titles, last edited time, tags, etc. in order to access the notes I need. I spend most of my time within the note view/edit pane, so I aim to maximize that space. With this new view I have ~6 square inches of unused space on the screen. I look forward to a configuration option that can restore the original view.

Thank you for posting, but please don't spam the forum with the same message from multiple accounts. This isn't a voting system. By the way, why doesn't vertical view work for tsw?

Adding my name to the "PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring back horizontal list view." 
I have 4 premium accounts (personal, wife, family, and organization) and in all of them we use
Evernote practicing "The Secret Weapon" system, the new vertical is hamstringing us.

PS - since we pay for multiple premium accounts I will add our voice through each.

Thank you for posting, but please don't spam the forum with the same message from multiple accounts. This isn't a voting system. By the way, why doesn't vertical view work for tsw?

Thanks for the response - sorry, I thought you looked at the number of user accounts that want a feature.

As to why it doesn't work - it does work but it's not nearly as effective. 

We use date created & date updated, tags, note name, and author.  We have multiple tags used in many notes and we are are not able to see all the tags unless we really limit the note name real estate.  On some of our note entries they are tagged separate from TSW and then we go back and add TSW tags - so having the more limited view space for tags adds an extra step (we have to move header colums depending on how we are looking).  With the horizontal view there was enough real estate for viewing it all in one shot.

Thanks again and for the heads up on quality not quantity :-)  and we do love the reminder feature too - thank you.

• Level 5*

Oh, for the evangelists, on the other thread I saw repeated several times that over 150 requests were made in the past for Reminders.  I hope that the evangelists are keeping count on the other thread asking to bring back the horizontal view that there are over 150 posts.  I hope that the evangelists will get this information to the EverNote developers.

Hi. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting the helpful links for everyone! As always, you take a risk downloading from an unauthorized third-party, and I recommend everyone use their own Time Machine backups of the app if possible. I keep backups of all my apps, just in case.

As for the evangelists, we are just users like yourself. Fortunately, the developers read the user forum (you'll see them here and there responding), so you can rest assured that they will see your post, and you don't need us to do anything.

Fortunately, I was able to re-install from an "official" install on my other Mac.  My gripe there is that with the App Store, you don't have a chance to downgrade once you have chosen to upgrade.  So if you don't have Time Machine setup or another Mac, then your choice is to "take a risk downloading from an unauthorized third-party" .   By the way, that "unauthorized third party" link was from one of these forums.  Don't ask me which one ... I wasted too much time looking for it the first time (after I did the downgrade install from my other Mac).   

The best advice I have is to use the direct download version instead of the appstore one, and keep the .dmg file somewhere (or, just use Time Machine).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

I figured the link came from the forums, and that is why I gave my disclaimer. Just because a link appears here doesn't mean it is OK, and some users don't know the dangers. It may well be fine, but I don't know, so I like to give a heads-up when I am unsure.

I checked out the link...  And I can get the CURRENT version of the direct download version instead of the App Store version.  How about EverNote having an "OFFICIAL" archive of old versions.  That way we won't have to go take a chance with that "unauthorized third party" link.

Besides, I started with the direct download version.  And when I changed to the App Store version.....  What a mess.  Another big waste of time trolling through the forums to find and fix a corrupt database.  Yes, I did have a backup.  But the upgrade left a corrupt version in place on my laptop.  So, just delete the corrupt version in place and re-import.  But, just try to find it with the out of date documentation and inconsistent information on the forum.

• Level 5*

Oh, for the evangelists, on the other thread I saw repeated several times that over 150 requests were made in the past for Reminders.  I hope that the evangelists are keeping count on the other thread asking to bring back the horizontal view that there are over 150 posts.  I hope that the evangelists will get this information to the EverNote developers.

Hi. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for posting the helpful links for everyone! As always, you take a risk downloading from an unauthorized third-party, and I recommend everyone use their own Time Machine backups of the app if possible. I keep backups of all my apps, just in case.

As for the evangelists, we are just users like yourself. Fortunately, the developers read the user forum (you'll see them here and there responding), so you can rest assured that they will see your post, and you don't need us to do anything.

Fortunately, I was able to re-install from an "official" install on my other Mac.  My gripe there is that with the App Store, you don't have a chance to downgrade once you have chosen to upgrade.  So if you don't have Time Machine setup or another Mac, then your choice is to "take a risk downloading from an unauthorized third-party" .   By the way, that "unauthorized third party" link was from one of these forums.  Don't ask me which one ... I wasted too much time looking for it the first time (after I did the downgrade install from my other Mac).   

The best advice I have is to use the direct download version instead of the appstore one, and keep the .dmg file somewhere (or, just use Time Machine).

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

I figured the link came from the forums, and that is why I gave my disclaimer. Just because a link appears here doesn't mean it is OK, and some users don't know the dangers. It may well be fine, but I don't know, so I like to give a heads-up when I am unsure.

• Level 5*

I too relied on the horizontal view.  (Premium Member)

I'm way too busy to lurk on the forum to see how you're going to manipulate the code - I, like many others work for a living and only discover this stuff when you "Upgrade" it.

I'll be VERY wary of upgrading again.

Has anyone discovered how to DOWNGRADE to a version that supports horizontal view?

(Premium member here.)  Fortunately, I did not upgrade on my Mac Mini.  I managed to downgrade by copying the App from the Mac Mini to my MacBook.

On another thread (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38283-view-missing-in-511/), a few people mentioned that restoring from a Time Machine backup got back the horizontal list view.

Finally, you could waste a several hours looking through these forums looking for instructions on how to downgrade.  Since I have already wasted the time, I will save you the time by reposting the following link:  http://mac.filehorse.com/download-evernote/3330/old-versions/

• Level 5*

The impression I get is that EverNote has become a worse note taking app because management wanted to make it into a reminders app. Not a single Evernote user bought Evernote because they wanted a reminders app, we all bought it to take notes!!! Sacrificing the core functionality we all bought Evernote to provide in order to provide a new bell or whistle was colossally stupid.

Hi. I think a lot of users have been clamoring for this Reminders functionality for a long time (for five years now). And, many users (myself included) have been asking for a vertical list view like the one already available in Windows. I understand your point about not sacrificing one view for another, but I also think it is worth considering some of the factors that might have led the developers to make this decision. After all, just a few hours ago they were the ones who made an app you loved, so it is unlikely that they suddenly lost their intelligence :)

I'm not arguing those who want a vertical view should be denied it. I don't see what either reminders or the addition of a new view has to do with the removal of the only view in evernote that shows all the relevant meta data together. List view allowed sorting on title, date updated, and date created, now it's just half a title and one date. The old view does not preclude reminders or due dates or anything like that.

I doubt the developers in the trenches made this dumb decision, that's what managers are for.

Well, it would be interesting to know how this decision, or any other one for that matter, gets made. I love to know these kinds of things. As for the vertical list view, on my 11" Macbook Air it shows one date and a complete title, though you could display more if you want (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=106). I would also like for the app to have horizontal view (not for me, but for others who want it for their workflows), but I doubt this was a dumb decision. Rather, it was one they thought about a lot, and probably had lively debates about as well. They want the app to be improved just as much (if not more) than we do. There are bound to be disagreements along the way, though.

And, many users (myself included) have been asking for a vertical list view like the one already available in Windows.

Hey GM, is the new view on the Mac like the list view on Windows? If so, I'd have to say that's the view I use most often & find the most useful. (Or else I wouldn't use it the most!  )

The impression I get is that EverNote has become a worse note taking app because management wanted to make it into a reminders app. Not a single Evernote user bought Evernote because they wanted a reminders app, we all bought it to take notes!!! Sacrificing the core functionality we all bought Evernote to provide in order to provide a new bell or whistle was colossally stupid.

Hi. I think a lot of users have been clamoring for this Reminders functionality for a long time (for five years now). And, many users (myself included) have been asking for a vertical list view like the one already available in Windows. I understand your point about not sacrificing one view for another, but I also think it is worth considering some of the factors that might have led the developers to make this decision. After all, just a few hours ago they were the ones who made an app you loved, so it is unlikely that they suddenly lost their intelligence :)

I'm not arguing those who want a vertical view should be denied it. I don't see what either reminders or the addition of a new view has to do with the removal of the only view in evernote that shows all the relevant meta data together. List view allowed sorting on title, date updated, and date created, now it's just half a title and one date. The old view does not preclude reminders or due dates or anything like that.

I doubt the developers in the trenches made this dumb decision, that's what managers are for.

• Level 5*

The new list view is a massive DOWNGRADE. What good is a list that is not wide enough to show the information it is supposed to be listing?

To be able to find my notes efficiently I need to be able to see the titles of my notes and their metadata at the same time. The horizontal list view worked PERFECTLY. It did what a list view needs to do.

The vertical version DOES NOT WORK - it fails at it's one and only function - displaying lists. I see partial titles and only ONE piece of metadata.

IF IT'S NOT BROKE - DON'T "FIX" IT!

I'm very very very annoyed that Evernote think that making their app harder to use and a worse experience is something their users should tolerate.

I pay for this service, and, I have trusted it with a lot of very important data. I am now regretting that trust - my data is now trapped in a difficult to use app!

I too relied on the horizontal view.  (Premium Member)

I'm way too busy to lurk on the forum to see how you're going to manipulate the code - I, like many others work for a living and only discover this stuff when you "Upgrade" it.

I'll be VERY wary of upgrading again.

Has anyone discovered how to DOWNGRADE to a version that supports horizontal view?

• Level 5*

I was making lots of suggestions.  I best like the one about making reminders, xml tags in the note.   A check box has extra data too (checked/unchecked)    A font tag has font, size, color information.  There is no obvious reason a reminder (xml) tag can't be added in the xml format Evernote uses.   Moreover, the elimination of the horizontal mode is a design choice, not a software choice.   I am sure they could do reminders as in note xml tags, then auto search for such tags to add them to a reminder db that does the reminding.   The Reminder option Evernote implemented was a design choice, not really a software choice.

The obvious (to me) reason is this: reminders have been implemented and released on 3 Evernote clients so far, and one beta client that I know of (and the Windows client is evidently aware of them, because you appear to be able to edit a note with a reminder in that client, and the reminder is not destroyed), and the API has already been released. At a guess I don't think that they're going to change the design/implementation in any large way any time soon. Obviously, they could have implemented one of any number of designs, but they chose the one that's now appearing.

but more importantly, this topic is about the horizontal view.   Why should reminders eliminate effective uses?  They shouldn't.  There are many other possibilities, and I just listed the ones that spontaneously came to mind over 30 minutes.

Don't know the answer to that one; having read the post by forever-note I'd put the limiting factor at timeliness of release more than any actual conflict between

Why do you think this forum uses the horizontal view?  because it works best for writing.   Have you tried using a vertical view forum?   they suck, unless you are using a small number or characters... like twitter.

This forum isn't Evernote, and horizontal view is overkill for me, as I have a wide enough screen. A vertical view would work for me because I have a fair amount of screen width, and because of this thing called text-wrapping, since you ask, though probably not for everyone.

Jefito, how much writing do you do in Evernote? Is it full screen? What size is your screen?

I use Evernote for WIndows to take notes and do outlines for development issues and for reading/saving clipped articles from the web, mainly. I use snippet view almost exclusively, similar to vertical note list view. My screen is 1920x1080 pixels, plenty of room to accommodate a reasonably sized note window (currently 1030x880 pixels). As it happens, I used to use horizontal list view almost exclusively, but ultimately that gave me way more width for the note pane than I needed (a line width that spans the entire screen is ridiculous; I'd never use that in an e-book reader), and not enough height. Snippet view (or alternatively, vertical list view) works much better. With wide screen monitors, screen height can be the limiting factor. But it's all relative to your screen size, isn't it?

Just for fun I checked out the web interface... oh there is that veritical format again.  and guess what, when I go to edit a note, the edit section doesn't fit on my screen.   I have to drag the window half off screen and then expand the page to edit in the right pane.... just like I do in the new Evernote version.   dragging a window around to see all your data sucks.  yuck.

The web client allows you to select list view, and it's horizontally oriented, not vertically.

Many PDFs are essentially unreadable on small screens in the vertical view.  searching on them produces hits for text searches, but I can't tell if the data is what I'm looking for without opening up each of the notes in a separate window.  

in the horizontal view, PDFs are much more readable, and searching thus works much easier.   

I use evernote to store pdfs of articles for research.  many pdfs use two or more columns on a portion of the page, so the text is very very tiny in vertical view.   the forced vertical view cripples searching research paper PDFs on a small screen (macbook). 

also, I take pictures of my chalkboard and whiteboard work to capture that info.  in vertical view, those are very tiny too, I can see the whole board but not much detail, the opposite of the horizontal view.  [update: this applies only to images with an extension of .jpeg as far as I can tell]

wait, it's worse than that.  the vertical view caps the size of the image, regardless of how I resize the window, or if I open the note in a new window.  if I want to see the image in larger sizes I must open it in a separate application.  it used to be that resizing the Evernote window resized the image, that is no longer true.  [update: this applies only to images with an extension of .jpeg as far as I can tell]

ugh.

If I need to use a separate application to write, and a separate application for pdfs, and a separate application to see images in reasonable detail, why am I using Evernote? 

*sigh*  I freaking LOVE you Evernote.  You have made my life so much better.... so why are you subtracting functionality?  

I was making lots of suggestions.  I best like the one about making reminders, xml tags in the note.   A check box has extra data too (checked/unchecked)    A font tag has font, size, color information.  There is no obvious reason a reminder (xml) tag can't be added in the xml format Evernote uses.   Moreover, the elimination of the horizontal mode is a design choice, not a software choice.   I am sure they could do reminders as in note xml tags, then auto search for such tags to add them to a reminder db that does the reminding.   The Reminder option Evernote implemented was a design choice, not really a software choice. 

but more importantly, this topic is about the horizontal view.   Why should reminders eliminate effective uses?  They shouldn't.  There are many other possibilities, and I just listed the ones that spontaneously came to mind over 30 minutes.  

Why do you think this forum uses the horizontal view?  because it works best for writing.   Have you tried using a vertical view forum?   they suck, unless you are using a small number or characters... like twitter.  

Jefito, how much writing do you do in Evernote? Is it full screen? What size is your screen?

Just for fun I checked out the web interface... oh there is that veritical format again.  and guess what, when I go to edit a note, the edit section doesn't fit on my screen.   I have to drag the window half off screen and then expand the page to edit in the right pane.... just like I do in the new Evernote version.   dragging a window around to see all your data sucks.  yuck.  

Please Evernote team, fix this.

• Level 5*

yes, remove reminders.  reminders don't really DO anything anyway.   It turns the radio dish blue.  or if you are in the "all notes" notebook it pops up the reminders section in the notes list.  or it will pop up that section if you are in the notebook with the reminder note.  but if you are in some other notebook, the only thing that happens is the radio dish goes blue.... not much of a reminder.

Reminders are something that's been asked for, in the forums, and elsewhere, for a long time. They are probably not going away any time soon. The reminder area pops up when the current note list contains notes that have reminders. As far as I know, reminders will be tied into the notification system of the underlying client, and that makes them useful to some folks.

ps. I actually had hoped reminders might be tied to todo like check boxes, but well, I guess not.   It wouldn't be so hard to code.  a special reminder tag (like a checkbox tag on steroids with date info), make an entry in a separate reminders db file (evernote is stored in a relational db).  any time a reminder is added or dropped from inside a note, update the reminder dbfile.    then you could keep one file with lots of reminders in it... like a todo list...   I mean this is xml.

I try not to make guesses as to how easy or hard it is to code features in Evernote, even if I have some intuition. We don't know what's easy most of the time -- we're outside the Evernote code base.

Evernote team, you could make up your own cool checkbox-todo-reminder tag, and searching all the pages for these tags is.... well it's what you do right? Evernote searches notes great.

A reminder is tied to a single note, and as so far, a note can only have one reminder. Tags are not mart of the note content per se, while to-do checkboxes are.

so y

eah, reminders could be tags inside notes, not notes themselves.

Reminders are not notes, but a reminder is an attribute of a single note. Reminders are not ever going to be tags in the way that tags are implemented in Evernote currently; tags have no data associated with them (the tag name is a tag's only data), while reminders require several pieces of data (date and completion status, at least).

I do ALL my (non-code) writing in evernote.   maybe I should say I used to do all my writing in Evernote.  I recommend it to everyone I meet.  oh wait, I probably have to stop doing that too.  it has really become useless as a writing or note taking tool. 

BRING BACK THE HORIZONTAL VIEW!!!!!

yes, remove reminders.  reminders don't really DO anything anyway.   It turns the radio dish blue.  or if you are in the "all notes" notebook it pops up the reminders section in the notes list.  or it will pop up that section if you are in the notebook with the reminder note.  but if you are in some other notebook, the only thing that happens is the radio dish goes blue.... not much of a reminder. 

But if you want to include reminders and a horizontal view here is one way to do it:

1) Add a reminder icon in the menu bar of every note, like the info icon..... oh look you already do that. 

2) Add a "magic" folder in the folder column that will show only reminders.    Make it blink and beep or something when there is a reminder.  (the blue radio dish is nice, but I ignore it most of the time and it's such a subtle change)

3) let a person add in their phone number so the reminder can actually remind the person via their phone with a text message.  I send emails to my phone all the time.  all the big carriers have an email address for the phone number.  

4) Add a pop up window for reminders.... like how calendars works on the mac.  

5) Add a message in the little sync pop up when a reminder happens.

6) Make the elephant flash on the menu bar up by the clock.  have it make a little elephant sound when a reminder is due... that would be cute!

but really, I don't see why I must lose the horizontal view, where I sometimes write thousands of words a day on my 13" mac book, in my Evernote window(never full screen), because you need some real estate to display a reminder.... I mean, wow....   You couldn't just do a little pop-down or something?   You couldn't add a persistent message down in the spot that shows syncing?  And if I'm not in Evernote, but head down in some code in another application, how does the reminder affect me?  It doesn't.  it's really useless, but it doesn't have to be. 

so please, please, please bring back the horizontal view!

and in case you are wondering why the horizontal view is so useful, imagine writing a reply to this forum, in list view.   oh wait, you can't!  This text edit box is actually specified to be really wide, and the list of entries are all above the box, just like the horizontal view that Evernote used to have....   :(

ps. I actually had hoped reminders might be tied to todo like check boxes, but well, I guess not.   It wouldn't be so hard to code.  a special reminder xml tag (like a checkbox tag on steroids with date info), make an entry in a separate reminders db file (Evernote uses a relational db).  any time a reminder is added or dropped from inside a note, update the reminder dbfile.    then you could keep one file with lots of reminders in it... like a todo list...   I mean this is xml.  

Evernote team, you could make up your own cool checkbox-todo-reminder tag, and searching all the pages for these tags is.... well it's what you do right? Evernote searches notes great.  

so yeah, reminders could be xml tags like chkbox or font inside notes, not extra data associated with notes.  

edit:  this response should have been on the other discussion http://discussion.ev...missing-in-511/ where the Evernote employee asked if horizontal view was worth giving up reminders for (my answer is yes.) 

Archived