(Archived) Evernote reminders ETA for Windows Desktop Client

David RODRIGUEZ

• Level 5*

They generally don't give out ETAs, but I'd have to figure out that it won't be too long. I'd guess we'll be seeing them in the beta stream before they hit the general public, so keep an eye out for that.

• 4 weeks later...

@evernote, understand you don't generally give out ETA's. Not looking for an exact date, how about based off our currect schedule the update is projected to be released in x number of weeks?

Clever penguin. . . if they told you how many weeks, you could math together a date. 

(Seriously, Evernote doesn't comment on their development timeline. The best answer you're going to get here is they'll release it when they release it.)

@evernote, understand you don't generally give out ETA's. Not looking for an exact date, how about based off our currect schedule the update is projected to be released in x number of weeks?

The E in ETA does not stand for 'exact'.

• Level 5*

Either way I too would like to know if it even is on the working board? Cause really now I can't use reminders at all because of the lack of support for Windows, sadly.

You all can keep asking, for all the good it's going to do you. You'll get the exact timeframe when they've released it for sure, maybe earlier if you participate in a beta program that has reminders available (as was the case with the Android client). For now, you can use the web client if reminders are important to you, and you can be online.

Reminders on the Windows version will be great. In the meantime reminders are available on Android and iPads/iPhones, which covers most users - not all but most I think. So it's not totally unavailable.

I've used reminders on my iPad and my Android phone, A little while ago I created a few notes on my Windows 7 computer and then spent about 10 minutes looking all through the settings, murmuring "How the #$&!! do I set a reminder on here!" Then I checked the blog and found out!!

Evernote is wise to refuse to publish ETA dates for versions and/or features. While they are by definition "estimates", too many folks get such dates burned into their minds and get a little miffed when ETAs are missed!

Take care all!

Jim

We don't release ETA's, roadmaps or a number of weeks projected to be complete based on the current schedule. If you'd like to join our Beta program, you can message gbarry here on the forums.

Hi there,

I appreciate the risk of announcing release dates. But are you talking about this new "major Windows update" in two weeks, two months, two years?

I'm asking because we just released a new GTD & Evernote for Windows Best Practices Guide and I need to know how soon we will need to provide an update to the Guide for those getting it now. And, we're planning a GTD webinar for Evernote users and it's too risky to support your Windows users if a new release is imminent. 

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi there,

I appreciate the risk of announcing release dates. But are you talking about this new "major Windows update" in two weeks, two months, two years?

I'm asking because we just released a new GTD & Evernote for Windows Best Practices Guide and I need to know how soon we will need to provide an update to the Guide for those getting it now. And, we're planning a GTD webinar for Evernote users and it's too risky to support your Windows users if a new release is immenent. 

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly Forrister

David Allen Company

Senior Curriculum Developer

I think dlu (as well as the other posts in this entire thread) was pretty clear.  If you want some sort of "behind the scenes" info, you would need to speak directly to EN staff, not the user's message board.

• Level 5*

Hi there,

I'm asking because we just released a new GTD & Evernote for Windows Best Practices Guide and I need to know how soon we will need to provide an update to the Guide for those getting it now. And, we're planning a GTD webinar for Evernote users and it's too risky to support your Windows users if a new release is imminent. 

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly Forrister

David Allen Company

Senior Curriculum Developer

You should probably start with gbarry, to see if he can get you an "in" for this. I'll flag your post so that he sees it as well. No guarantees, though.

Hey Kelly--just replied to your PM, thanks for dropping by.

For anyone else interested, I'll tell you what I told Kelly--I don't think I'm breaking our ETA rule by saying it's not two weeks, and it's not two years away.  If you had to wait two years for us to update the Windows client...that would be interesting.  Yes, I just opened myself up for cracks about Reminders.

• Level 5

We do live in "interesting" times.

Focus on the Windows might be excused for slipping.

<heresy>

<high flux rate estimates>

You have Gartner saying Windows desktop marketshare to slip to 15% next year.

Android device shipment (with tablets displacing desktop sales) having already passed Windows/MacOS/iOS.

MacOS/iOS shipments to match or exceed Windows units (desktop and mobile) in 2014/2015

</high flux rate estimates>  

</heresy> 

Now that Astrid is going away I am looking for an alternative "to do" or "reminder" program.  I would wait if I at least knew that Evernote will be adding reminders to the Windows desktop version at some time, but after reading all this I am not sure it will ever be added.  

@evernote, 

I partially understand your position on not wanting to officially provide a GA date for the reminders enhancement for the Windows Client because you foresee or more likely have an issue in your windows code that will take some time to resolve. We your customers are not looking to hold you to the Estimated date (Yes Estimate). Since everyone on this posting is using the Windows Evernote client and waiting patiently for this particular enhancement, all we are just looking for is you to say "yes we are" or "are not" going to provide this enhancement. Including that your best estimate (again yes an estimate) will be moving to GA in x number of months... Also feel free to say to the affect of your ETA can change at anytime...But we are not looking for a response of ETA sometime in 2014, something more or less a realistic date. If you are upfront with us in your Press Releases we your Customers will be understanding, we know that you will provide the best product and the best user experience possible, this is the main reason why we are using your product - it is hands down the best on the market.   

Dedicate Customer, 

@evernote, 

I partially understand your position on not wanting to officially provide a GA date for the reminders enhancement for the Windows Client because you foresee or more likely have an issue in your windows code that will take some time to resolve. We your customers are not looking to hold you to the Estimated date (Yes Estimate). Since everyone on this posting is using the Windows Evernote client and waiting patiently for this particular enhancement, all we are just looking for is you to say "yes we are" or "are not" going to provide this enhancement. Including that your best estimate (again yes an estimate) will be moving to GA in x number of months... Also feel free to say to the affect of your ETA can change at anytime...But we are not looking for a response of ETA sometime in 2014, something more or less a realistic date. If you are upfront with us in your Press Releases we your Customers will be understanding, we know that you will provide the best product and the best user experience possible, this is the main reason why we are using your product - it is hands down the best on the market.   

Dedicate Customer, 

As Jefito said above, feel free to keep asking for all the good it will do you.  The closest you are going to get (until it's realeased) is Geoff's post above (#15).  It's pretty clear & if that is not an acceptable answer for some users, then I suggest you look for another app that better suits your needs.

• Level 5*

Now that Astrid is going away I am looking for an alternative "to do" or "reminder" program.  I would wait if I at least knew that Evernote will be adding reminders to the Windows desktop version at some time, but after reading all this I am not sure it will ever be added.

?

GBarry (Evernote employee) just said it is coming. Company policy keeps him from saying the date. That's all. I think it is pretty safe to assume that they won't let the poor Windows folks go without Reminders for too much longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me how to add a reminder to the Windows Client for the date when this is coming?  :D

check above, my friend.  No ETA on windows client reminders will be announced...

@evernote - I completely understand the policy on giving hard release dates (or even estimates) but given that a large population of your user (and might I add paying customer) base operates on a windows-based machine, you may want to at least assure everyone that this is affirmatively in the works and will be released as soon as possible.  The customer is always right!

but for realz, much love to the EN team for kicking ass so far

:D

Public beta is now available: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2013/07/18/the-new-evernote-for-windows-5-beta-now-available/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social_media&utm_campaign=product

I'm going to go ahead and mention that Reminders are yet to be available in it, but yes, they are coming.

I watched the video.  Has EN now eliminated the nice separation of personal notebooks and business notebooks that existed on the windows client and mixed them all together in the new "flat" design?  That's what it seems to show in the video.  If so, our use of Everenote Business will have been very short lived.

BTW, the video starts with an announcement that sounds exciting, "over 100 new features".  Then it quickly descends into UI speak that scares me about "flat design" and how they have "eliminated distractions", UI marketing speak for dumbed down the interface.  I sure hope that is not the case but the fact that personal and business notebooks no longer even appear to be separated scares me.

The only new features it actually mentioned was "related notes" for premium users, and search ahead, which is certainly a useful feature.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

Finally Reminder has Arrived into Windows Beta...

In Order to Download use the Following Link.

http://evernote.com/evernote/whats_new/windows/?utm_source=en_blog&utm_medium=en_blog&utm_campaign=product

Click on Download Button from Above Link & you will get File Named "Evernote_5.0.0.964"

Regards,

Jugal

Beta thread, with a direct download link is here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/40780-v5-beta-2/

Archived