• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love reminders but I wish there was an easy way to delete my completed tasks. Evernote shows recently completed tasks, but I don't always delete the notes right away and I end up with a bunch of notes in my notebook like "Get milk" which I don't need to keep forever.

It would be nice to have a quick way to view all completed reminders in one place so I can choose which ones to delete and which if any to keep. Or a one-click button to delete completed reminders.

• Level 5

Well, searching for reminderDoneTime:* is supposed to show the done items and you could select all and delete, or move to another notebook, or merge them together...

At least for me it not only shows that but items that were at one time marked done, but then re-marked with a Reminder.

So I can't make use of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Love reminders but I wish there was an easy way to delete my completed tasks. Evernote shows recently completed tasks, but I don't always delete the notes right away and I end up with a bunch of notes in my notebook like "Get milk" which I don't need to keep forever.

It would be nice to have a quick way to view all completed reminders in one place so I can choose which ones to delete and which if any to keep. Or a one-click button to delete completed reminders.

If you are using tasks in the way of "tick box" for complete or un-ticked for in progress, why don't you save a filter (with correct Tags) for tasks (in progress or complete)

It would be (using my example) 

TAG = Phil Moore CONTAINS Unfinished to-do Items

The above will show all notes containing unfinished tasks / to-do items

or 

TAG = Phil Moore CONTAINS Finished to-do Items

The above will show all notes containing finished tasks / to-do items

Sorry if this is telling you something you already now or is outside of the question with respect to Reminders.

I see an interesting Survey out yesterday from EN about Reminders... I await with bated breath on where they bring this particular feature in EN.

Where do I find the survey?

If your on their mailing list it should have landed in your inbox yesterday?

• Level 5

Phil does that permutation work on the Mac with the Natural language updates?  Or was that meant to be semantic representation?

Cross platform version would be:

1. Has unfinish todos
    • tag:"Phil Moore" todo:false
  2. Has completed todos
    • tag:"Phil Moore" todo:true
  3. Has completed items and no uncompleted items - ie. the notes checkboxes are fully completed
    • tag:"Phil Moore" todo:true -todo:false

The last item is appropriate then for a Select All and either delete or move to an Archive Notebook.  Because you can't exclude a notebook from a search, this means you need to have a notebook or stack reserved for checkboxed items, even if it's your default, and add the notebook or stack to the above searches.

For those who prefer to keep very recently completed items visible for review, add: updated:day-7  or  updated:day-14  to keep the last week or two's completed items showing

CWB- correct its a Mac and saved searches.  Should have cleared this up.  

It was only after I posted the update and I saw some posts from you with additions to show time.  I made a note of these literally and they reside in my EN Account to be starred and remembered.  Thanks for sharing.

• 3 months later...
  • Level 5*

I would love to be able to set any date I want on the iOS version. I can on windows but EN on iPad doesn't let me go far enough out. Any tips?

This is very odd -- you can certainly do it on the Android version. There must be a way - iOS users?

I've just started a trial of using Evernote to replace OmniFocus and there is one thing I'm still trying to figure out how to do..

When I mark a reminder done (dated or not) it remains in the notebook it was in when I marked it done.  I would really like it to move to a notebook I have named "Completed".  I have looked at services like IFTTT.com but there isn't any trigger for it to monitor in Evernote...

Anyone found a way to move a done reminder to another notebook automatically?

If not, how about a feature request to Evernote?

Thanks for the great reminder feature!

Lee

For what its worth, I get similar functionality by using saved searches.  For example, I have a saved search that has all my actions that don't have a reminder yet and another saved search (my focus list) that has reminders, but no completed reminders.   When I add a reminder the note automatically is removed from my actions list and added to my focus list.    Then when I check off a reminder as complete it automatically is removed from my focus list.  I have a saved search that shows all of my completed reminders in the past 7 days so I can reference those completed reminders if I need to, but its rare when I go in there.  Usually only if I accidentally complete the note before I realize it wasn't actually done.

Of course, I use tags instead of notebooks to organize my notes so that helps because the saved searches don't care what notebook the note is in.  This way my actions are automatically archived as soon as I complete them as well, since they start off being archived in the notebook I need them in and I just apply tags/reminders if I need to take action on them. 

Thanks danlefeb! That should help my workflow a lot!

• 1 month later...

I've started using the app, Todoist, instead of Evernote on my Android phone and Windows desktop.

http://todoist.com/

It has some clever features (Smart Input, Sub-Tasks, Off-Line access, Blazing speed, Multi-device sync) that far exceed the Evernote reminder release.

You can add a task's name, priority, label, indent it and set a due date and a reminder all at once, for example - if you type this as a task name:

Call Andy @phonecalls !p1 <remind today at 2pm>

The task will have a label named "phonecalls", be first priority and with Todoist Premium, you would get a reminder about it today at 2pm (email, SMS or push notification, depending on your settings).

You can hit the TAB key to get to the due date field and type in a date such as "tomorrow" or "every day" or "ev Fri, Sat @ 2pm".

As you add a task, you can make it a sub-task by using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+RightArrow and Ctrl+LeftArrow to indent/unindent it.

And what is amazingly cool is the Todoist user-forum.

The questions and comments are actually answered by Staff members!

Has anyone had success in using either Todoist or Nozbe to properly link with Evernote?

Because I find it challenging to keep track of my projects and next actions with EN, I've been testing Todoist as well as Nozbe. 

One of the strengths of Todoist is the ability to indent to-dos within a project, 4 levels deep. One of the strengths of Nozbe is integration with Google calendar. 

Todoist premium purportedly syncs with gcal but only once a day (if you're lucky), and Nozbe has clunky workarounds to enable indents 3 levels deep. 

Both of them allow integration with Evernote in their notes sections, somewhat. I truly need this integration, because Evernote is my main source of "project support" materials (as David Allen would call it) to provide details about to-do items.

I've been back and forth with Nozbe tech support for a couple of months, because the the EN icon on Nozbe doesn't restrict its search to notes with a tag=project name. Nozbe takes awhile to search all my notes, and finally provides something like 40 hits at random (not the most recent notes, even). Thus I started to paste note links directly, which I then have to edit via markdown to display the note title or else just the path appears. Too cumbersome.

Todoist premium version allows notes and attachments to accompany a to-do item, and If I paste a note link it is properly hyperlinked. However, every note title displays as "Welcome back" if it's https://www.evernote... (straight Copy Note Link) or as the URL if it's evernote:///view link. 

I've been playing with Zapier, which allows me to create a reminder in EN and have that immediately show up in my gcal.  If you use it a lot It's an expensive solution, though, and the syncing is one way (EN to gcal) whenever I set a reminder, not when I change a date. 

Thanks,

Lena, who should read JBenson's posts more often because I always seem to follow in his footsteps, albeit several months later! 

• Level 5*

I was using Wunderlist for a while, pasting the note link into the notes area, maybe same issue as above, though I tended to use the title of the WL entry.  Not sure it does all of things that you are seeking.  There is a tool called Zendone that integrates reasonably well with EN and is specifically designed for GTD.  

End of the day, once I determined a workaround for the reminder date searches, I forced myself into EN for my task management.  That way I have everything in one place, my main goal.  Not all the function (or sizzle) of a stand alone task management system, but it is working for me.  Haven't fumbled lately in any case.

Archived