• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it possible to save reminder settings?  Every time I log in (on a variety of devices), I have to manually choose not to display completed reminders, show upcoming, etc....

Is there a way for all my devices to show the same reminders every time I log in (not ALL the ones I have loaded)? 

• Level 5*

Is it possible to save reminder settings?  Every time I log in (on a variety of devices), I have to manually choose not to display completed reminders, show upcoming, etc....

Is there a way for all my devices to show the same reminders every time I log in (not ALL the ones I have loaded)? 

I don't think that reminder settings are sync'ed; I think it's on a per-client basis. 

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a way to automatically delete the note when the reminder is marked as completed?

Otherwise I can't see how this works for quick todos noted like "buy bread".  Do I then manually find and delete the original note after ticking the reminder?

Am I missing something obvious?

I think the point of Evernote is you never delete notes (just like Gmail never really deletes email).

I originally made a tag called "Todos-Completed" and just put completed tasks there (or just delete them, of course).  I eventually settled on just filtering them out from my view using the search grammar - e.g. this shows all tasks that aren't complete:  "reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*"

Cheers,

Roshan

I want to search the reminder notes without due date , together with due date after today,  how do i search for that? thanks!

Love the idea of reminders but being based in the UK I really need the format to be day/month/year  Can I have this option please

Thanks

Similarly, every other calendar I use starts the week on Sunday instead of Monday.  An option for Sunday week start in the Evernote calendar would be great.

• 2 weeks later...

The name is deceiving. Reminders are really a lot more than just reminders. I expected just a simple due date and a reminder. It's really more of a simple task manager functionality. It doesn't work perfectly for standard gtd approach but I'm bending the standard gtd "rules" anyway. I'm yet to see how well it works in the long run but I like it so far.

Hi.

I like the reminders feature.

Is it possible to add a 'Follow Up' function? It could have a 'completed' or 'revisit' button. Maybe with the option to gather evidence/photo/weblink to the completed work?

Sometimes I need to set off a project or delegate a task (for this I'd set a reminder in a meeting :) ), however I then need to check it happens at some point in the future - hence the 'Follow Up' function - this could be a special set of reminders (with or without date-specific info). I find that this is the most important feature of my work if I want to drive forward new projects and begin new systems/ways of working I need to set the up and then check up later that they have been done.

Also from the knowledge base

"Can I view Reminders by tag?

Reminders are associated with a notebook. They cannot be organized or viewed by a tag."

I find this somewhat misleading because if you just select a specific Tag then you can view reminders for that Tag only in the reminders panel at least on ios. So yeah, you can organize or view reminders by tag. :/

Have an option to hide reminders from the note list - that way, reminders aren't listed twice in a category (once in the reminder pane, and again in the note pane).

Yeah, I like that. Also an option to hide only completed reminders.

Yes, you can filter them out with search or move them to "completed" notebook but an option to hide them would be more convenient and we won't have to do those extra steps. What do you think?

I was working yesterday on the Web version to try to set up reminders and see what the notification emails looked like.  I set reminders on two notes to be due today. I haven't received an email (and no pop-up notif in app either).  Does anyone know what might be going on?  Thx!!

I was working yesterday on the Web version to try to set up reminders and see what the notification emails looked like.  I set reminders on two notes to be due today. I haven't received an email (and no pop-up notif in app either).  Does anyone know what might be going on?  Thx!!

Welcome to the forum :)

Did you change the settings here to receive reminder emails?

https://www.evernote.com/ReminderSettings.action

Hmm, I don't really know why they wouldn't get sent. Emails are not something I have played with too much, but now that I have reminders in the windows version, I can at least try and see if I get any. Only problem is that I wont know until tomorrow :P

Other than checking spam folders etc. I am not too sure.

Scott

Ok, so I did get an email about the reminder:

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/7848241d-3008-4774-80c9-b31e1db08d4a/7a54b6ee60daac4a98c195ad9281ea5a

It came from no-reply(@)evernote.com so check to see if that is allowed in your email settings.

I would double check your reminder setting on the web, and also try creating some more reminders, to see if you can generate any and if it was just these two notes.

If you still continue to fail to receive emails, I would suggest that you create a support ticket.

Scott

I need an app to quickly add reminders to evernote, so I could just launch the app, quickly type reminder and save it to evernote. also an option to select notebook and tags and date. Kind of like FastEver but for reminders. Maybe FastEver would add this feature eventually.

Do you guys know of any app like this which is currently available?

• Level 5*

I've been looking for this as well.  When I saw the RTM announcement, below, a few months ago, I thought this would be it but it currently requires reminders to be first created on EN.  I'm hoping they will add the ability to create a reminder on RTM and store to EN, but so far this doesn't exist.

http://www.rememberthemilk.com/services/evernote/

I want to review reminders in Evernote, a separate app would be useful only for quick creation. The main appeal of reviewing reminders in Evernote is that I don't have to switch between separate apps, I have all my tasks and all of the support material all in one place.... Still going to check out RTM integration though. :)

Ok so I've checked it out. Firstly couldn't authorize it with Evernote for some reason, then found out that you can sync only once every 24 hours with a free account on ios. What can I say, I'm not very excited about this integration :)

Not a fan of dairy either (not that it matters)

I need an app to quickly add reminders to evernote...

So I've figured it out, it's possible to quickly add reminders with Drafts app, here's a how to (example) vid I've just made:

Drafts improved a lot since last time I tried it, supports first line as a note title, can automatically add dates to title or body, and all kinds of stuff. Very cool. I'm going to use it now instead of FastEver.

• Level 5*

I need an app to quickly add reminders to evernote...

So I've figured it out, it's possible to quickly add reminders with Drafts app, here's a how to (example) vid I've just made:

This is awesome May, thanks for posting.  Very fast reminder entry.

Folks, I'm getting set up with Evernote and am very excited about its possibilities. I am currently using Omnifocus to manage tasks, and like their system, but will really do better by keeping things in one app like Evernote. The new reminders feature seems to allow me to do just about everything that I need, except....

With Omnifocus, I can be driving or whatever and can tell Siri to "remind me to submit action plan tomorrow at 10 am." Siri uses the standard to-do list functionality of the iPhone to capture that info, BUT instead of it becoming an iOS task entry, Omnifocus captures it and puts the task into its general inbox. I can go in to Omnifocus and move it to a context, project, or whatever, but even if I just leave it in the inbox, I still get a reminder alarm tomorrow at 10 am. A duplicate task does -not- remain in the iPhone function.

I'm not a programmer, and I have no idea how Omnifocus does this, but I really wish that Evernote could. I often get my best thinking time for emptying my mind when I am in the car, and not being able to talk to Evernote to create a reminder task is a big concern.

I am aware that I can tell Siri to send an email to Evernote, but to my knowledge, Evernote is not able to extract time/date info from that message to create a reminder on the note that it receives. Having to go into Evernote later to finish up the process is a big issue for my ADHD brain and I.

Scott Smith

You might want to take a look at ifttt.com, which now has a nifty iOS app. They have a "recipe" to use Siri to make a reminder which gets sent to Evernote. I don't know if you can tweak it to make it a reminder rather than append it to a note, though. 

• Level 5

It's also possible to create a contact record with your evernote email address.

Then you just use Siri to "send email to Evernote".

It prompts for the subject line, letting you specify the title, notebook, tags and reminder.

Fortunately Siri understands punctuation, but it could be a little tricky.

By way of reminder, here's the format.

@Notebook: Notes will go into your default notebook unless you specify one using the at (@) symbol and notebook name, such as @travel

#Tag: Add tags using the pound or hashtag (#) symbol, such as #manchester #england

!Reminder: Use the exclamation point (!) to set a Reminder. To add an alarm to the Reminder, add the word tomorrow, or a date with numeric year, month, day separated by slashes. For example: !, !tomorrow, !2013/06/24

Send your email and you'll see it appear as a note inside Evernote. 

The standard is:

Email Subject: [Title of note] ![optional date for Reminder] @[folder] #[tag]

So for your example the subject would be: "Remind me to submit action plan !tomorrow "

• Level 5

I've started using the app, Todoist, instead of Evernote on my Android phone and Windows desktop.
http://todoist.com/

It has some clever features (Smart Input, Sub-Tasks, Off-Line access, Blazing speed, Multi-device sync) that far exceed the Evernote reminder release.

You can add a task's name, priority, label, indent it and set a due date and a reminder all at once, for example - if you type this as a task name:

Call Andy @phonecalls !p1 <remind today at 2pm>

The task will have a label named "phonecalls", be first priority and with Todoist Premium, you would get a reminder about it today at 2pm (email, SMS or push notification, depending on your settings).

You can hit the TAB key to get to the due date field and type in a date such as "tomorrow" or "every day" or "ev Fri, Sat @ 2pm".

As you add a task, you can make it a sub-task by using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl+RightArrow and Ctrl+LeftArrow to indent/unindent it.

And what is amazingly cool is the Todoist user-forum.

The questions and comments are actually answered by Staff members!

I've just started a trial of using Evernote to replace OmniFocus and there is one thing I'm still trying to figure out how to do..

When I mark a reminder done (dated or not) it remains in the notebook it was in when I marked it done.  I would really like it to move to a notebook I have named "Completed".  I have looked at services like IFTTT.com but there isn't any trigger for it to monitor in Evernote...

Anyone found a way to move a done reminder to another notebook automatically?

If not, how about a feature request to Evernote?

Thanks for the great reminder feature!

Lee

I've just started a trial of using Evernote to replace OmniFocus and there is one thing I'm still trying to figure out how to do..

When I mark a reminder done (dated or not) it remains in the notebook it was in when I marked it done.  I would really like it to move to a notebook I have named "Completed".  I have looked at services like IFTTT.com but there isn't any trigger for it to monitor in Evernote...

Lee

AFAIK, there is no way to auto move a note to a different notebook. If any exists, I'd guess it would be a third party app, rather than EN. However, you can search for notes with completed reminders:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38994-how-can-i-search-by-reminder-or-absence-of-a-reminder/?p=211216

• Level 5

True that.  I get how it could be a tough nut to scale well on this large a userbase, as a server solution.  It's beyond me why it's not a client side option though.  As simple as Inbox rules in Outlook.  You could set up some rules to process this stuff whenever the client is opened.

How have y'all been doing with finding completed reminders for archiving with the saved search:

reminderDoneTime:*

My results have been whacky.  And to be fair, the iOS app ZTasks seems to have done some munging on my reminder fields so that may be to blame. (It took all existing items with Reminders and somehow made them "hidden" and un-unhidable), so I've aborted using ZTasks.

But I find the search works about 1 or 2 times in 10.  The rest of the time, I momentarily see the expected search result and then it's replaced with hundreds of non-Reminder flagged events.

• Level 5

If you're feeling up to it, SmartTM (ipad only, iphone shortly) just added the setting to configure when a note is marked completed to: 

• Add your choice of tag
  • Move it to your notebook of choice
  • do both

I'm holding back until there's a solution to add additional pre-defined tags when I move a note to a project.

I had that in Egretlist, and do now with Templates in EverLog.

Tagging is still too limited in that areas for me in SmartTM.

But other that that, it does have Reminder support, and even Calendar integration.

Lee

For what its worth, I get similar functionality by using saved searches.  For example, I have a saved search that has all my actions that don't have a reminder yet and another saved search (my focus list) that has reminders, but no completed reminders.   When I add a reminder the note automatically is removed from my actions list and added to my focus list.    Then when I check off a reminder as complete it automatically is removed from my focus list.  I have a saved search that shows all of my completed reminders in the past 7 days so I can reference those completed reminders if I need to, but its rare when I go in there.  Usually only if I accidentally complete the note before I realize it wasn't actually done.

Of course, I use tags instead of notebooks to organize my notes so that helps because the saved searches don't care what notebook the note is in.  This way my actions are automatically archived as soon as I complete them as well, since they start off being archived in the notebook I need them in and I just apply tags/reminders if I need to take action on them. 

OK, so I didn't find this in the Knowledge base or after a quick search of the forum, so here's my question:

Is there a way to temporarily hide certain reminders? For example, let's say I have a note to mail my Christmas presents to my family on December 1, so I set a reminder for December 1 at 8 am. I'll probably want this to be on my reminder's list in late November (so I can wrap and pack the gifts) but I don't need it now. Can I hide this reminder without having to hide the entire reminder option? I want my daily to-do list to show up, and probably reminders for the next week or two, but I don't need to constantly see things that are months in advance, but I will need to remember them later on.

OK, so I didn't find this in the Knowledge base or after a quick search of the forum, so here's my question:

Is there a way to temporarily hide certain reminders? For example, let's say I have a note to mail my Christmas presents to my family on December 1, so I set a reminder for December 1 at 8 am. I'll probably want this to be on my reminder's list in late November (so I can wrap and pack the gifts) but I don't need it now. Can I hide this reminder without having to hide the entire reminder option? I want my daily to-do list to show up, and probably reminders for the next week or two, but I don't need to constantly see things that are months in advance, but I will need to remember them later on.

I'd like a "Start showing on" (or "Hide until") field.

• Level 5

There's perhaps a couple approaches.

1. In the settings gear in the Reminder List you can uncheck "show upcoming reminders"
  2. You can employ saved searches when specifically looking at items with reminders.
    • reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:20131201  Will only show reminders for items before December first.

I am ashamed to ask such a basic question. Even though I've been using Evernote for years and know all about search syntax, the Reminders feature for Windows Desktop version 5 has completely stumped me.

How do you view upcoming reminders? 

I think I've looked everywhere for this information. I am puzzled that such a key feature doesn't have instructions for use. 

When a reminder is marked as checked or completed is there a way I can have it not show up in my note view, or delete it, or move it to the trash, or move it do a different list?

It's really frustrating to have it clear the reminder but keep the note there.

It's cluttering up all my notebooks and kind of driving me crazy.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

When a reminder is marked as checked or completed is there a way I can have it not show up in my note view, or delete it, or move it to the trash, or move it do a different list?

Thanks!

If you click on the Reminders settings (the gear at the upper right of the reminders panel), and uncheck the "Show recently completed reminders" entry, does that make them go away?

Thanks!

If you click on the Reminders settings (the gear at the upper right of the reminders panel), and uncheck the "Show recently completed reminders" entry, does that make them go away?

It makes the reminder itself go away but the note it's associated with remains.

If I do a quick-add in my @Inbox that says "Look at Elephants" it creates both a reminder and a note called "Look at Elephants"

When i check it off in the reminder section it will not display (if you have it configured) but the note "Look at Elephants" will remain in my notes view.

So I end up having a bunch of notes that are things like "Call Brian at 3pm Tomorrow" and such really cluttering up my notes and messing with my workflow.

I could see it getting out of hand really fast.

I hope that explains what I'm saying.

• Level 5*

Thanks!

If I do a quick-add in my @Inbox that says "Look at Elephants" it creates both a reminder and a note called "Look at Elephants"

When i check it off in the reminder section it will not display (if you have it configured) but the note "Look at Elephants" will remain in my notes view.

So I end up having a bunch of notes that are things like "Call Brian at 3pm Tomorrow" and such really cluttering up my notes and messing with my workflow.

Well, the note still exists, even if the reminder is cleared or completed. If you want the note to go away, then delete it, or do what I do: move it into a journal notebook (mine is cleverly named "Journal"), so you can keep track of your accomplishments. If the journal notebook is not part of your current note filter, then it will not appear in the note list. You could do something similar with tags, as well.

Thanks!

Well, the note still exists, even if the reminder is cleared or completed. If you want the note to go away, then delete it, or do what I do: move it into a journal notebook (mine is cleverly named "Journal"), so you can keep track of your accomplishments. If the journal notebook is not part of your current note filter, then it will not appear in the note list. You could do something similar with tags, as well.

Well yeah I'm well aware I could delete it manually or move it myself :)

That's pretty clunky and the feature seems rudimentary in my opinion - especially if I'm on the road or using the mobile version, or using the Remember the Milk integration.

• Level 5*

Your notes view is governed by your filter settings. Evernote is a notes database with some to-do capabilities, and reminders are in their nascent form. It is not a substitute for a purpose-built to-do application. That being said, Evernote employees do read all posts, so your wish may yet come true...

I understand that reminders are in nascent form, that's why I'm here to provide feedback. I truly appreciate your support but I disagree with your excuse over what I feel is at the moment a half-baked feature in an otherwise stellar application which I'm a happily paid user of. :)

I think that it's 80% of the way to filling my needs in a rudimentary to-do application. 

is there a filter that can hide all notes with a completed reminder?

• Level 5

Perhaps better would be a saved search to only show competed items. The you could just select all and delete.

But the searches rated to Reminders seem to be messed up at the moment, And I can't craft one to do that.

I would have thought just reminderDoneTime:* should do it but nope.

• Level 5*

I understand that reminders are in nascent form, that's why I'm here to provide feedback. I truly appreciate your support but I disagree with your excuse over what I feel is at the moment a half-baked feature in an otherwise stellar application which I'm a happily paid user of. :)

I think that it's 80% of the way to filling my needs in a rudimentary to-do application. 

is there a filter that can hide all notes with a completed reminder?

It's not an excuse -- it's not clear what the requirements are or were, so I'd be hard-pressed to call it half-baked because it doesn't do that everything that everyone is looking for; in no sense however, is it meant to be a full-blown to-application, though. As it is, it works pretty well for me, but admittedly, I am not a demanding to-do user (about 80% of you, it seems :)). Anyhow, the feedback is good -- that's one thing about modern-day development -- one style is to float out something that's rudimentary dy design, and see where people want to take it. The feedback helps.

As usually happens, the answer appears seconds after posting. Reminders only appear in card or snippet view. 

I prefer List view over card/snippet - is there a reason why I cannot see Reminders in List View on Windows 5.0 version? 

I hate to ask this, but where is my reminder?  I set it a few times and have never been notified.

does EN send an email?

and to where?

I assume it would go to my gmail account

I just set a couple for tomorrow to see if it works again.

also, can you set one for 1 hour from now and it still emails you?

(i did check the send reminder email)

Update: Okay all is fine today - do not know why it did not work yesterday.... MD

Sorry if this has come up before, but is there any reason a note can't have an optional field called 'Due Date'.

This strikes me as something that would be easy enough to implement, and would be hugely useful used in conjunction with Reminders.

i.e. if I have a note that something needs doing by the end of the week, its handy to be reminded before the end of the week.

Sorry if this has come up before, but is there any reason a note can't have an optional field called 'Due Date'.

This strikes me as something that would be easy enough to implement, and would be hugely useful used in conjunction with Reminders.

i.e. if I have a note that something needs doing by the end of the week, its handy to be reminded before the end of the week.

Yeah that would be nice - but it's not and I don't think we will see it within Evernote soon. 

The way I handle this is using the reminder for the actual time I want to be reminded (e.g. when I need to do or prepare something) and write in the Title: DUE YYYY-MM-DD - Followed by the Title. Example: "DUE 2013-09-30 - Finish Project X and Give Status Report to Big Boss"

This Way you can also sort your dues in chronological order - also pretty handy for checking what to do in the upcoming week when I am preparing my weeks workload. 

I even created a saved search with: "inTitle:DUE" for this.

Thanks for posting these links - I was going nuts trying to figure out how reminders were automatically being set in notes when I've never used remidners At All

Seems if you add "!" in the subect of any email you send to your EN email address it adds a reminder to that note.  Sure wish you had not chosen the "!" as the trigger  actually I see it as a big flaw in EN's thinking.  I use the EN email option many times a day to shoot notes to specific notebooks that are sorted by title.  In order to act quickly on the emailed notes I start the subject line with - yep you quessed it  !  as that keeps it at the top of the list.  Any chance you'd reconsider and provide different trigger for setting reminders?  Nah didn't think so :(

Hi! I have one question.

If I set a reminder to a specific time on my android device, I receive a sound notification only if my device is "awake" (if I'm using my device at that time). But if it is in sleep mode (let say I have it in my pocket) I don't receive sound notification. I get it only when I press the button which turns the screen-saver on. But that could be many hours after a reminders set time.

Thanks for help

Yeah that would be nice - but it's not and I don't think we will see it within Evernote soon. 

The way I handle this is using the reminder for the actual time I want to be reminded (e.g. when I need to do or prepare something) and write in the Title: DUE YYYY-MM-DD - Followed by the Title. Example: "DUE 2013-09-30 - Finish Project X and Give Status Report to Big Boss"

This Way you can also sort your dues in chronological order - also pretty handy for checking what to do in the upcoming week when I am preparing my weeks workload. 

I even created a saved search with: "inTitle:DUE" for this.

Thanks fort that. saved searches sound like they might be useful. Not sure of you can do that on the new iOS version?

I don't understand why the Windows desktop client is lacking so many features that other clients have. Speaking generally, why is there not feature parity between *all* clients? Even if the features aren't released at exactly the same time, all platforms should have the same functionality within a month or two of each other, max.

My particular beef is trying to create saved searches for reminders, as below:

I figured out how to create a saved search for reminders in a specific period.  E.g.:

• Reminders due today:  reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
  • Reminders due tomorrow:  reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2

The "reminderTime" search field shows you all reminders due on the day specified or later.  So looking at the search for reminders due today, the first part says show me reminders "due today or later", and the second part uses the "-" (NOT) modifier to say "and NOT due tomorrow or later".

Specifically, creating a search in the Windows desktop client with:

reminderTime:day+1

should show me every reminder set for tomorrow and later. But the Windows desktop client does not recognize the +1 as a date modifier, it thinks it is a search term. This is what the search bar says:

"contains words starting with (  1  ) with advanced filters (  reminderTime:day  )"

If I run the same search in the web client, it works fine. But the web client doesn't work for me in many other ways (see here for one example).

To me this is rather ridiculous. I've just started using EverNote and it's great in many respects. But if I have any inclinations to start paying for premium to get some of the advanced features that are appealing to me, this kind of mishmash works-here-but-doesn't-work-there kills those inclinations dead in their tracks. Am I being a bit too frank? Maybe. But I am a software engineer of 15 years, and it's obvious to me that someone is dropping the ball when it comes to this. There's just no excuse for all clients not having feature parity within a month or two of each other. Seriously.

• Level 5*

To me this is rather ridiculous. I've just started using EverNote and it's great in many respects. But if I have any inclinations to start paying for premium to get some of the advanced features that are appealing to me, this kind of mishmash works-here-but-doesn't-work-there kills those inclinations dead in their tracks. Am I being a bit too frank? Maybe. But I am a software engineer of 15 years, and it's obvious to me that someone is dropping the ball when it comes to this. There's just no excuse for all clients not having feature parity within a month or two of each other. Seriously.

Yes, that issue has already been reported.

You don't know their environment, their code base, or their other priorities, so you don't really know what the reason for the delay is, and therefore you don't really know whether there are legitimate excuses or not. Of course, you can shake your fist at the empty air in righteous indignation if you want, but you still don't know. And oh yes, I am a software engineer of 30 years, and as best I can tell, that only entitles me to say what I know, not what I guess (unless I disclaimer the guess). Seriously.

You don't know their environment, their code base, or their other priorities, so you don't really know what the reason for the delay is, and therefore you don't really know whether there are legitimate excuses or not. Of course, you can shake your fist at the empty air in righteous indignation if you want, but you still don't know. And oh yes, I am a software engineer of 30 years, and as best I can tell, that only entitles me to say what I know, not what I guess (unless I disclaimer the guess). Seriously.

I don't need to know their codebase, or their other priorities. I spent multiple hours today looking into this and other (missing or screwed up) functionality, and Evernote's customers have been talking about this for months and months (feature disparity of one kind or another).

You may feel that your experience only entitles you to speak to things you know, but if so then either you don't know what entitled means, or you must live in a country where free speech isn't a core maxim. I personally believe I'm entitled to say whatever I want. This is a company site, and they're free to moderate my postings all they want, but that doesn't mean I can't say what's on my mind.

Especially when a- I am echoing what I've seen numerous other customers express concern or displeasure with, b- I am a potential paying customer and I'm letting them know something that will directly affect whether they ever see any money from me, and c- I have inside knowledge of the software process and know that if someone, anyone, at this company with some clout had any sense, they would put feature parity higher on the priority list and it would happen.

Consistency trumps almost everything else when it comes to software. If your 30 years in the software business haven't taught you that, then I don't know what to tell you.

• Level 5

That true Jeff but isn't search in the core value proposition?

It's like you birth your product and it has dementia/Alzheimer's right out of the womb.

[edit: I guess not. Saving your stuff to evernote is a key feature but finding it again is not in the key features list, or even the learn more about Evernote page]

• Level 5*

You may feel that your experience only entitles you to speak to things you know, but if so then either you don't know what entitled means, or you must live in a country where free speech isn't a core maxim. I personally believe I'm entitled to say whatever I want. This is a company site, and they're free to moderate my postings all they want, but that doesn't mean I can't say what's on my mind.

Um, I live in the US, where it should be pretty clear that a great many people state things that they don't know, and they're perfectly entitled to do that (and a lot of them looked darned foolish at it). I expect a little bit different behavior from engineers, though. As I am a moderator, I would say that what you've posted so far isn't anything I would worry about needing to moderate, even if I disagree with it.

Especially when a) I am echoing what I've seen numerous other customers express concern or displeasure with, B ) I am a potential paying customer and I'm letting them know something that will directly affect whether they ever see any money from me, and c) I have inside knowledge of the software process and know that if someone, anyone, at this company with some clout had any sense, they would put feature parity higher on the priority list and it would happen.

You may have noticed that there are other posts on this board with feature requests, bug reports, design disagreements and the like. In other words, have a lot to do, and it seems a little bit presumptuous to make claims about what they should or should not be doing first. Myself, I'm usually fine with posting my issue, concern or criticism for them, and letting them figure out what's most important. Evernote is not perfect, but it continues to be useful to me, every day, at home and at work. If it ever ceases to be then I'll find something else

Consistency trumps almost everything else when it comes to software. If your 30 years in the software business haven't taught you that, then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't disagree with the comment about the importance of consistency, but I still believe you don't have any special insights into their process that would allow you to make judgements about their delivery timelines. I want parity too, but their particular development process doesn't appear to put as high a value on that as some other companies do, or some of their users might want. Sorry if that's not acceptable to you.

• Level 5*

That true Jeff but isn't search in the core value proposition?

It's like you birth your product and it has dementia/Alzheimer's right out of the womb.

[edit: I guess not. Saving your stuff to evernote is a key feature but finding it again is not in the key features list, or even the learn more about Evernote page]

Yes indeed, search is part of the core proposition, and I've written a great many posts all about search in general, problems I've found, and how it might be improved. In fact I wrote about the '+1' problem ages ago, with respect to update date and created date (as reminders didn't exist then). Search does work, for the most part, but yes, this is a bug, and it would be great if it were fixed in the Windows client. Have I ever said anything different? That's a different statement than claiming that Evernote should fix this first before other things (like say the crashes that people have been reporting, for instance).

You're putting words into my mouth by making it sound like I'm 'demanding' (choose whatever word you want there) that they fix the problem with +1 in search.

I'm not "shaking my fist in the air", or feeling "righteous indignation" about a search glitch. Crashing is obviously more important than a search glitch. My post, and my point, is about feature parity. I could care less if they fix my pet peeve issue first or last, as long as they put a focus on feature parity. As I said, I spent a few hours looking into quite a few different points of functionality (I've only been using EN for about 3 weeks, I'm still learning), not just the search problem I encountered. I found numerous posts dating from many months back, some even older, complaining about differences between the various EN clients that still haven't been resolved.

So to clarify, not focusing on feature parity is what I find ridiculous. One or two months, or even three or four in some cases, with feature disparity between clients is understandable as the different platforms require different release strategies. But anything more than that and it's obvious that Feature A for the product wasn't actually a feature for the product, it was a feature for a given platform. When we're talking about features that aren't limited by platform (i.e. you just can't do some stuff in a mobile app), that's a failure in project management.

Because, again, in software, consistency trumps nearly everything else.

• Level 5*

You're putting words into my mouth by making it sound like I'm 'demanding' (choose whatever word you want there) that they fix the problem with +1 in search.

I certainly didn't use the word 'demanding' in replying to you; not sure why you put it in quotes. That's sort of like putting words into my mouth, wouldn't you say?

Personally, I think that the +1 bug should be fixed; again, did I say anything different?

Re: consistency. That's their choice of priorities, because it's their company to run. You evidently disagree, so if/when you're in charge, you get to set priorities differently. Your opinion about all of that is valid, so is theirs. Not seeing that point is the where the 'righteous indignation' comes in. For a software system that's the product of failed project management, they seem to be doing OK at this stuff. Again, I would like -- and have advocated for -- more consistency, not just across clients, but also internally to single clients. But advocating is about is far as I need to go with my opinion, so long as the clients I use remain in the realm of usefulness to me. So far so good, even if v5 (and v4 before it) had some rocky moments at the start.

Then again, consistency is not the only thing that makes software good/useful; in fact, a foolish consistency is taken to be a bad thing, from some corners. A bad UI choice repeated slavishy across different contexts does not make for good software. Me, I tend to prefer utility over consistency (if there's a choice, and realizing they're not entirely unrelated). Reasonable people can disagree over that, of course.

I certainly didn't use the word 'demanding' in replying to you; not sure why you put it in quotes. That's sort of like putting words into my mouth, wouldn't you say?

If you'll notice, I put it in single quotes, and even qualified it with "(choose whatever word you want there)". There were items further down in my post where I used double quotes, because I was directly quoting you there.

Are you really that pedantic, you didn't notice the difference, or the qualifier?

Personally, I think that the +1 bug should be fixed; again, did I say anything different?

You certainly criticized me for trying to say I thought they should put it at the top of their priority list (which I didn't do, see previous posts).

Re: consistency. That's their choice of priorities, because it's their company to run. You evidently disagree, so if/when you're in charge, you get to set priorities differently. Your opinion about all of that is valid, so is theirs. Not seeing that point is the where the 'righteous indignation' comes in. For a software system that's the product of failed project management, they seem to be doing OK at this stuff. Again, I would like -- and have advocated for -- more consistency, not just across clients, but also internally to single clients. But advocating is about is far as I need to go with my opinion, so long as the clients I use remain in the realm of usefulness to me. So far so good, even if v5 (and v4 before it) had some rocky moments at the start.

I did not say their project management as a whole has failed, as you are implying here (again, putting words in my mouth... you've heard of straw man arguments haven't you?). I said their project management has failed in one aspect. Now am I saying that one aspect is pretty darned important? Yes. But I did not say what you're implying I said.

For having said earlier that you see no need to moderate me, you sure seem hell-bent on squelching me. I am simply a customer, a potential paying customer, expressing my views here on an open forum. Why do you keep expressing the same disagreement with me over and over? I have no disillusions about how a software company is run (that I, a single customer, have no more weight than just that: a single customer). You've done your job as an "evangelist", why don't you move along and let me join my voice into the throng of the million others that the EN team needs to prioritize against?

Or, as I said above, are you really that pedantic? Give it a rest, man.

• Level 5*

Just to clarify a couple of things...

If you'll notice, I put it in single quotes, and even qualified it with "(choose whatever word you want there)". There were items further down in my post where I used double quotes, because I was directly quoting you there.

Are you really that pedantic, you didn't notice the difference, or the qualifier?

As a point of reference, either single or double quotes may be used for direct quotations. See for example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark#Quotations_and_speech. At a minimum it's ambiguous, but single quotes are often used for direct quotations of single words, and the context reinforced that, so the implication seemed clear. No pedanticism required. Oh, and your 'qualification' didn't actually seem to qualify anything in the context as far as I could see, so was ignored. If I missed your meaning, sorry for that.

For having said earlier that you see no need to moderate me, you sure seem hell-bent on squelching me.

Moderation -- in terms of the forums here -- would be the act of censoring or removing your remarks. I have no intention of doing that here -- you've not come anywhere close to crossing the line where that would be warranted (that's to your credit, btw). On the other hand, if you think that a fellow user disagreeing with your public comments in an open forum is trying to squelch you, then I'm afraid that you've missed out the meaning of the term 'squelching'. Disagreements happen between reasonable people. It's OK. It's not against the rules here. It's not squelching.

I am simply a customer, a potential paying customer, expressing my views here on an open forum. Why do you keep expressing the same disagreement with me over and over? I have no disillusions about how a software company is run (that I, a single customer, have no more weight than just that: a single customer). You've done your job as an "evangelist", why don't you move along and let me join my voice into the throng of the million others that the EN team needs to prioritize against?

Your voice is here, untouched as the moment that you added your comments. As a fellow customer, my voice is allowed to exist here as well, even if it doesn't harmonize with yours.

Beyond that, we've wandered off the actual topic here (and I've played my part), and that is something that we do try to moderate (in the other sense of keeping things calm) so I'll leave this as it stands.

• Level 5*

Are there any plans to be able to put reminders on specific lines within a note?  In order to really replace to-do apps like THINGS or WUNDERLIST we need that capability and i'd love to move more into evernote.

Haven't heard of any, and Evernote doesn't typically make their future feature plans known. That being said, the current architecture is that a reminder is attached to a note, and that's rolled out to all of the main architectures by now, so it's likely to stay like that for the foreseeable future.

Are there any plans to be able to put reminders on specific lines within a note?  In order to really replace to-do apps like THINGS or WUNDERLIST we need that capability and i'd love to move more into evernote.

Well, I already do this buy marking items with the "to do" checkbox and then I have a smart search which shows all notes with uncompleted to-do items in the sidebar.  That doesn't work for you?

It's my understanding the Evernote is not trying to replace full fledged things to do applications. 

• Level 5

It's as easy as:

todo:false

Though I more tend to use:

stack:Tasks todo:false

I have a stack Called Tasks which has my default inbox and an Actions notebook, so the above finds only notes with at least one unchecked todo in one of those two notebooks, and not my Completed notebook or one of the many that third party apps use.

Then you can get fancy and create a saved search like:

notebook:Actions -todo:false todo:true updated:day-14

Which is literally: Find all notes in the Actions notebook, with at least one checked checkbox, and no unchecked checkboxes, if the notes last update is older than 2 weeks.

I like to keep my recently completed items at hand for including in weekly meetings.

Then any older than 2 weeks where everything is checked off, I want to filter to just those, so I can drag them all to the completed notebook.

More of late though, I just use AutoEver on my iphone to do that automatically based on a preset rule.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

5.0.3.1559 (269559) prererelease

Just marking the continued seeming breakage in the Reminder search grammar compared to other platform clients.

reminderDoneTime seems to be set with something in every reminder created in windows, and search behavior with it is wierd vs iOS/MacOS.

You still cannot use numeric modifiers on reminderTime:

reminderTime:day is fine
reminderTime:day-1 or day+1 isn't recognized as it is on iOS.

• 2 weeks later...

Just marking the continued seeming breakage in the Reminder search grammar compared to other platform clients.

reminderDoneTime seems to be set with something in every reminder created in windows, and search behavior with it is wierd vs iOS/MacOS.

You still can use numeric modifiers on reminderTime:

reminderTime:day-1 or day+1 isn't recognized as it is on iOS.

Yeah, can't get it to work....

You still cannot use numeric modifiers on reminderTime:

reminderTime:day-1 or day+1 isn't recognized as it is on iOS.

I notice you're talking about a pre-release version here, but in the release version (5.0.3.1614 Windows) you *can* use subtraction modifiers on reminderTime.

For instance, I have a note with a reminder of 10/23. (Today is 10/31.) If I do a search for reminderTime:year-1 it shows up. If I do a search for reminderTime:day-30 it shows up. If I do a search for reminderTime:day-1 it does not show up (but other notes with reminders do). So if subtraction modifiers are not working in the prerelease version you're using then that's a regression that they'll hopefully fix.

And just for completeness sake, addition modifiers on reminderTime do *not* work at all (in the release version). I've mentioned this further up-thread with examples.

Without proper search functionality working, reminders are about a fourth as useful as they could/should be.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There are some 3rd party ipad clients which focus on just the tasks in your Evernote.  Not all yet bring in Reminders.

Still hoping to see something rise out of the ashes of the Egretlist purchase made long ago, together with Phil's plans for Evernote in this area "I don't want a to-do app, I want a DO app. I don't want a list," 

At the moment it sure seems like most of the DOing is swapping over to a dozen 3rd party niche EN client apps to do any DOing with my to-do lists.

• 2 weeks later...

Reminders do not appear to sync across all my devices.  I placed a reminder on two notes on my Windows Vista laptop, they appear on my account on evernote.com but are not synced to my windows XP desktop.  All notes are synced fine.

Can some one help me

• Level 5*

Reminders do not appear to sync across all my devices.  I placed a reminder on two notes on my Windows Vista laptop, they appear on my account on evernote.com but are not synced to my windows XP desktop.  All notes are synced fine.

Can some one help me

Are you running the version 5 series Window client on those devices? Reminders are not available on the v4 series.

Thanks, Jeff.  I have no idea what series of Window clients I have.  I can add a reminder on all my devices; but some added reminders are not necessarily visible on other devices.  Just have to be careful I guess

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like an option for turning off all mentions of Reminders.

I know it's been a long-time request from many users, but I never use them and I sometimes end up setting them by accident.

Likewise I'd like to turn off all mention of Location settings. My notes never have a geographic aspect and I find mentions of location to be just so much visual clutter.

• Level 5*

How much longer until we get the ability to have recurring reminders?

Evernote doesn't usually give out timeframes for feature releases (or even the prospects of particular features). But check in every week around this time; you never know!!

• 2 weeks later...

How much longer until we get the ability to have recurring reminders?

Evernote doesn't usually give out timeframes for feature releases (or even the prospects of particular features). But check in every week around this time; you never know!!

Consider me in agreement.

I am a paying customer and locations are useless to me and are thankfully more easily ignored than reminders.

On the other hand are reminders. Reminders are an annoying pain to me. I never set them intentionally, but they get set when I use the web clipper. This is in spite of the fact that I have every check box associated with reminders unchecked. When I go to my desktop client, I have multiple - around 2 dozen - reminders that I have to clear one note at a time. This is a frustrating waste of my time.

I would love the ability to completely turn off reminder functionality in my account. I don't want to see reminders associated with any of my notes ever.

• Level 5*

I would love the ability to completely turn off reminder functionality in my account. I don't want to see reminders associated with any of my notes ever.

One way to start is not to use them. In many cases, you won't see UI for reminders if you don't have any, at least in the Windows client.

Archived