No one is more aware than we are that discussions around Evernote and some sort of native to do/alerts system go back years.  For much of that time, we spent working out exactly how something could be implemented and satisfy the broader needs of users.  And for iOS, Mac, and Evernote Web, Reminders are here.

From our blog:

Reminders are incredibly easy to use. You can add a Reminder to a note by simply tapping on the alarm clock icon located at the top of the note on Mac and Web, and at the bottom of the note on iPhone and iPad. If you like, set a date and time for when this note must be completed.

You’ll get an in-app alarm and, optionally, an email the day that a Reminder is due. Once set, you’ll see the note title appear in the new Reminder section at the top of the note list. You can change the order of Reminders simply by dragging them around. When you complete your task, tap on the check or, on iOS, swipe to remove the Reminder from the list.

Reminders are also available through shared notebooks, including public notebooks. If you're managing a team or resources with a group of people through a shared notebook, these become even more powerful, as you're essentially able to create a series of notifications for users who have opted into a shared notebook.

This is, of course, only the first iteration of Reminders, and we have support for other clients well underway, as well as plans for growing their functionality in the future.

Leave your thoughts below, on our blog, or send us some feedback through support.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi gbarry

Maybe worth telling people on Mac's  not to update until you get it to install without trashing your EN install.

How has this got out of Beta seriously ??

Please describe the problem in greater detail.

• Level 5*

Hi. I saw, but I thought you might not have taken the extra step of wiping everything Evernote off your drive with an app zapper. Of course, you shouldn't have to do this, but if you do run into a wall, it is a logical next step. If you have done this, then it certainly sounds odd, and hopefully support can get a fix out to everyone.

Well, on a more positive note.  I LOVE THE NEW REMINDERS!!!  Awesome.  Just elevated Evernote to the next level.

I use Evernote and Penultimate to capture all of my meeting notes (and I go to lots of meetings).  I now have the ability to simply note a commitment from someone in my notes and then get a reminder when the commitment is due.

My hat is off to you.  I couldn't be happier.

Please describe the problem in greater detail.

For anyone swinging by this particular thread who's running into a crash issue with the latest for Evernote Mac, the relevant information is here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38290-just-downloaded-and-installed-latest-update-and-evernote-will-not-open-now/

Some users are seeing a crash with the new update.  Please submit a support ticket if you run into it, as we're actively testing hotfixes for the issue.

It doesn't appear that clearing a reminder alters a note in any other way than removing the clock icon highlight.  Is there any way to know that the note once had a reminder?  Ultimately I would want to have it check off the box within the note, add a tag, something so that when I review that notebook I can see what had been done previously.

Probably depends on the client at this moment in time.  On my Mac a "completed" Reminder still contains the notification date/time. 

13%203:21%20PM.png

Probably depends on the client at this moment in time.  On my Mac a "completed" Reminder still contains the notification date/time. 

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/26e3a6fc-e08d-4172-94ce-988b3384249c/bb863eb2847b136b38595358e094f3c7/deep/0/Screenshot%205/23/13%203:21%20PM.png

But nothing for non-dated reminders?  I actually date very few of my task items.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  A completed, non-dated Reminder looks exactly the same as a note without a Reminder (will flag for the team).

First impressions with Reminders are very good. Very slick on iOS.

I wonder is there any funky way to integrate this with Siri? For me, since it came along, telling Siri to "remind me to..." creates a nice reminder in iOS Reminders app really quickly. It's made the iOS Reminders app a killer app for me, and replaced other To Do apps.

If Siri were to somehow be able to link in with the new EN reminders functionality, so I could dictate a reminder, that would be brilliant. Up to now, I have just been able to email to EN from Siri to create a regular text note.

• Level 5*

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s16/sh/26e3a6fc-e08d-4172-94ce-988b3384249c/bb863eb2847b136b38595358e094f3c7/deep/0/Screenshot%205/23/13%203:21%20PM.png

But nothing for non-dated reminders?  I actually date very few of my task items.

Ah, I see what you're saying.  A completed, non-dated Reminder looks exactly the same as a note without a Reminder (will flag for the team).

All of this really implies a need for expanding the search grammar, in a way that echoes, say, todo checkboxes (e.g. todo:, todo:true, todo:false). Since I don't know the full semantics of reminders yet, I can't offer a full set, but the following spring easily to mind: :

reminder: --> return all notes with reminders

reminder:complete --> return all notes with completed reminders

-reminder:complete --> return all notes with uncompleted reminders

reminder:dated --> return all notes with dated reminders

-reminder:dated --> return all notes with undated reminders

reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is greater than or equal to the <datetime>argument (a la created:, updated: search terms)

-reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is less than to the <datetime>argument

I tug on the search grammar string occasionally (most recently when Business notebooks were introduced; at that point (and I think it's still true), you were able to create filters on your note database (or "corpus" -- read it in the blog :)) using the UI that you can't recreate in a saved search. This is inconsistent with previous incarnations of The Way Things Work as I understood it, so it bugs me.

Hopefully something like this is in the works for reminders.

well done, you good People of Evernote, well done indeed. 

I'll second that but is it just me or do the alarms not make any sound on iOS?

I set an alarm but I hear nothing and only when I switch the iPhone on does the 'alarm' show up either in the lock screen or in the app.

Question: I can add a reminder, and I can clear a reminder that hasn't been checked off yet. But what happens to reminders that are checked off? Do they ever fall off the list or do they just sit there, crossed off, forever?

I guess what I'm asking is: how do you clear your list of the checked off reminders? Or do they fall off on their own after a certain time?

All of this really implies a need for expanding the search grammar, in a way that echoes, say, todo checkboxes (e.g. todo:, todo:true, todo:false). Since I don't know the full semantics of reminders yet, I can't offer a full set, but the following spring easily to mind: :

reminder: --> return all notes with reminders

reminder:complete --> return all notes with completed reminders

-reminder:complete --> return all notes with uncompleted reminders

reminder:dated --> return all notes with dated reminders

-reminder:dated --> return all notes with undated reminders

reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is greater than or equal to the <datetime>argument (a la created:, updated: search terms)

-reminder:<datetime> --> return all notes with reminders with a date/time value that is less than to the <datetime>argument

I tug on the search grammar string occasionally (most recently when Business notebooks were introduced; at that point (and I think it's still true), you were able to create filters on your note database (or "corpus" -- read it in the blog :)) using the UI that you can't recreate in a saved search. This is inconsistent with previous incarnations of The Way Things Work as I understood it, so it bugs me.

Hopefully something like this is in the works for reminders.

It took a little poking around but I found one search parameter that allows you to search for notes that have the reminder feature turned on for them. 

If you use: 

reminderOrder:*

That will filter for any note that has a reminder assigned to it. I still LOVE the ideas that jefito suggested, but this one will help in the mean time. 

• Level 5*

It took a little poking around but I found one search parameter that allows you to search for notes that have the reminder feature turned on for them.

Cool. Was that an online source?

If you use: 

reminderOrder:*

My Windows client doesn't like that. :)

Oh and btw I really would like to have the ability to add / modify the reminder of multiple selected notes.

And please also add the option to change the default time - 8 am might not be the perfect time for everyone :-)

And of course recurring reminders would also be super useful - but you are on the way I suppose. 

Question: Is there a shortcut key to quickly assign a Reminder to a note?

If not:

Feature request: Please add shortcut key to the Reminder functionality.

Definitely second this.

And I'd add a request to allow a reminder to be set in the clipper. Like if I clipped a page I need to check back with tomorrow, I can set the reminder while clipping instead of clipping, syncing, and then setting the reminder.

Maybe it could be added into the Quick Note panel someday too.

A couple of things.  It appears that notifications for reminders cannot be set beyond 2014.  I was trying to set a reminder for a license expiration in December of 2015 and found that it is not currently possible.

Second, both the iPad and iPhone must sync to Evernote before the reminder and notification are recognized.  So setting a reminder on the web or one Apple product does not mean that the iPad or iPhone will notify you at the specified time unless you have opened Evernote and allowed it to sync.

Question: I can add a reminder, and I can clear a reminder that hasn't been checked off yet. But what happens to reminders that are checked off? Do they ever fall off the list or do they just sit there, crossed off, forever?

I guess what I'm asking is: how do you clear your list of the checked off reminders? Or do they fall off on their own after a certain time?

I'm curious about this as well.

All in all, the reminder implementation in the web version is brilliant, better than I'd have expected. I am going to be using these a lot, can't wait for it to hit Windows desktop

Anyone already received the reminder emails? I have set them but haven't received an email yet.

I believe you only receive one daily email on the notification date.  I received one this morning.

Thank you Evernote! I have been waiting for reminders for years!

Same issue here, no sound in iOS.

Also, do I really need to open Evernote on iOS and sync to get a push notification of a task I entered on OS X or Evernote Web? What if I forget to sync Evernote for iOS then?  

Thanks again.

• Level 5*

You mentioned the ability to pin notes to the top now. I can't find out how to do that. Love the reminders so far, btw

In the web client and in the current Android beta, reminders will be be displayed above other notes when the note that they live in is part of the current note filter. I believe that in the web client allows you to hide them as well.

Strange that we don't hear anything regarding the sound issue....I got the update this morning with some fixes, but still no sound....

I am new to the forums here (but for sure not new to Evernote)... is it normal that nobody from EN writes anything, like...yes we know, and it will be fixed or yes we know, but we don't give a s... or....???

Strange that we don't hear anything regarding the sound issue....I got the update this morning with some fixes, but still no sound....

I am new to the forums here (but for sure not new to Evernote)... is it normal that nobody from EN writes anything, like...yes we know, and it will be fixed or yes we know, but we don't give a s... or....???

Or perhaps they don't work on the Saturday of a holiday weekend?

gbarry has been quite involved in the threads on reminders. But even Evernote employees deserve some time off.

Thank you very much for the reminders! I am very happy that you have finally added this feature I've been waiting for a long time!  :)  :)

When will they come for the Windows and Android clients? I do not use any OS system.

• Level 5*

Evernote staff do write in here sometimes, but this is primarily a user forum. Evernote staff do read everything, though. Reminders are a brand new feature to the Evernote service (not even available on all major Evernote clients), and I'm sure that they'll be fleshed out as times goes on, and user feedback can help guide that process.

Thank you very much for the reminders! I am very happy that you have finally added this feature I've been waiting for a long time!  :)  :)

When will they come for the Windows and Android clients? I do not use any OS system.

The Android client that has reminders is in the beta stage right now:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/37894-evernote-for-android-51-beta-3/

The Windows client, is the one we are waiting for I guess. Typically Evernote don't reveal any timeframes per say, but I would imagine that it shouldn't be a long time since most (all?) of the other clients are getting them in some form or another.

(I'm also waiting impatiently for it too :P)

• Level 5*

That's definitely a great feature. I'm already developing an app for Windows which tends to work with Evernote. I was wondering when developers can use Reminder API?

Well, since they've published the API (it's in the current docs: http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/cloud/chapters/reminders.php), and the web client supports it, I'd say that you can use it right now.

Edit: Oh, and also: http://blog.evernote.com/tech/2013/05/24/evernote-reminders-api-now-available/

A big THANKS to Evernote for finally giving us reminders. I think they have done a great job implementing it in such a versatile application as Evernote. There are so many ways to use Evernote, so it would be impossible for them to come up with a solution that fits everyone. This is a great first step to get a reasonable amount of GTD functionality in a note application.

After tweaking my "Evernote world" in order to use reminders etc in full, I have really only a few things on my wish list:

I want to be able to show only a selection of my reminders by setting a date scope - and I want to be able to choose whether to show reminders without dates, or not in that selection. I'm quite happy to do this through a saved search.

Holidays made it tough but I'm checking on the beeps and bloops for IOS Reminders today. More broadly, there have been some great suggestions upthread and in other spaces on how to grow their functionality.  Thanks for all the great input thus far.

Confirmed that alarms are bugged.  They are, for the moment, most definitely "silent" alarms.  We're working on it.

When this becomes available, the control will be found in your Settings > Notifications area of IOS.

Confirmed that alarms are bugged.  They are, for the moment, most definitely "silent" alarms.  We're working on it.

When this becomes available, the control will be found in your Settings > Notifications area of IOS.

Just the msg. i waited for. Thank You :-) AND thanks for a fantastic product.

WIshlist:

1) Recurring reminders

2) Ability to create one note, with several tasks and several reminders..

/Torben

well done, you good People of Evernote, well done indeed. 

I'll second that but is it just me or do the alarms not make any sound on iOS?

I set an alarm but I hear nothing and only when I switch the iPhone on does the 'alarm' show up either in the lock screen or in the app.

yeah, no sound for me either...

+1 for this :)

Just the msg. i waited for. Thank You :-) AND thanks for a fantastic product.

WIshlist:

1) Recurring reminders

2) Ability to create one note, with several tasks and several reminders..

/Torben

A big THANKS to Evernote for finally giving us reminders. I think they have done a great job implementing it in such a versatile application as Evernote. There are so many ways to use Evernote, so it would be impossible for them to come up with a solution that fits everyone. This is a great first step to get a reasonable amount of GTD functionality in a note application.

After tweaking my "Evernote world" in order to use reminders etc in full, I have really only a few things on my wish list:

I want to be able to show only a selection of my reminders by setting a date scope - and I want to be able to choose whether to show reminders without dates, or not in that selection. I'm quite happy to do this through a saved search.

I figured out how to create a saved search for reminders in a specific period.  E.g.:

• Reminders due today:  reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
  • Reminders due tomorrow:  reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2

The "reminderTime" search field shows you all reminders due on the day specified or later.  So looking at the search for reminders due today, the first part says show me reminders "due today or later", and the second part uses the "-" (NOT) modifier to say "and NOT due tomorrow or later".

Look at the search grammar to see what other date/time values you can use in search (e.g. "week", "year", etc.).  I also recommend looking at the examples under the "created:[datetime]" filter definition.  As far as the reminder-specific search terms you can use (i.e. reminderOrder, reminderTime, and reminderDoneTime) - check out this page.

Hopefully at some point they will update the search grammar page with the new reminder options, but in the meantime - I was happy to find out this is possible today after doing a little sleuthing on the forums and in the documentation.

And it looks like "reminderOrder:* reminderTime:*" finds all notes that are reminders with a due date set, and "reminderOrder:* -reminderTime:*" finds notes that are reminders but no due date set.

Note: the reason you need "reminderOrder:*" is that filters the notes down to those that are reminders.  Then you apply your "due date or no due date" search term.  Without "reminderOrder:*", the search "-reminderTime:*" returns all notes without a reminder time set (which includes notes that aren't even reminders!).

I'm sure I tried that and it didn't work :P

I knew of the search terms, just not the exact usages.

So, similar to other date/time search operators.

Yeah - I saw other posts about the operators, but nothing about the usage or possible values.  After reading enough posts I realized the answer was there, but no one aggregated all the info together in a single post.  Hopefully other people find this and realize the reminder feature is pretty powerful right out-of-the-box!

I wish they had announced this, because it radically increases the potential for Reminders. Now my interest is piqued.

Agree - and not just because you have "Monkey" in your username.

Here's one cool way I can think of to leverage Evernote as a task manager - use Evernote as your task list, then use "reminderDoneTime:year" when annual performance reviews come up to see a list of everything you've done over the past year.

Or every time you create a reminder to do something nice for your wife, tag it with "browniepoints".  Then whenever you get into a fight, just search for "reminderDoneTime:year tag:browniepoints" and get some talking points.  Bam.

Hello!

I use reminders for my Todo-list. Before I named the most urgent todos to "A. *name*", second most important todos "B. *name*" etc to have them organized in evernote. HOWEVER now as I use reminders they are not sorted, or able to sort, alphabetically? Anyone have a workaround for this or should i just not use reminders?

Simply put, how do I choose the order of my reminders in the webbased interface?

Best,

Frank

EDIT: I'm using the web based interface

EDIT2: Found it out myself; it's possible to just drag the reminders in any order you want. weeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii :wub:

Not sure about this feature.  If I set a reminder for something I've got to do today, while I'm at my mac in the morning, but I don't happen to launch the Evernote ap on my iPhone before that reminder is due, I may never get that reminder (because it won't get a chance to sync).  This opposed to the iOS/OSX Reminders ap, which is constantly synced, probably means I won't use this for my primary reminder ap.

I'll probably use it to remind me to pay bills - I used to copy the note URL of the bill image into the reminders ap, now I can just flip the reminder on inside the note itself.  Usually bills arrive a month ahead so its 100% likely that I'll have synced my phone at least once.

Its a very smart move on Evernote's part for user retention, as a user is more invested in Evernote if I've set a lot of reminders for things in the future, good chance they'll keep using Evernote.  Evernote, you should have put this in years ago!

Now, just give me the ability to lock notes so I don't accidentally delete blocks of text when copying! 

Hi, we are excited about reminders here at my college. . .I'm in the process of training all faculty/students on Evernote (big undertaking). . .I was specifically excited about the idea of sharing a notebook with a class of students and being able to add reminders to the "Homework" note in the notebook so that students would get reminders about each homework assignment that was added to the notebook (very important function for a generation that doesn't do email: a student last week told me that I was "living in the stone ages" when I referenced sending another student an email). I am testing this out with a group of faculty. So far, no one has received a reminder. Am I missing something? I had them subscribe to reminders in the preferences. They can see at the bottom of each note a reminder---but it doesn't alert them or provide them with anything; in their words, "useless".

Would appreciate any insight on this issue.

Hi,

I dont know if this has already been posted, but is there anyway to just bring up the reminders which are overdue?

Thanks

Brett - check out my reply to another forum post:  http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/38298-reminders/?p=208350

I think I figured out the search grammar as it relates to reminders.  For example:

• Reminders due today:  reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
  • Reminders due tomorrow:  reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2
  • Reminders overdue:  reminderTime:day-60 -reminderTime:day
  • Reminders due today or overdue:  reminderTime:day-60 -reminderTime:day+1

And if the Evernote staff is listening, here are my Reminder feature requests:

• Have a shortcut button when setting a reminder to remove the date (to do that, I have to clear the reminder and add it back).  So ideally, when choosing the date of a reminder, offer buttons for Today, Tomorrow, Clear Date, or the calendar picker you have now.
  • Have an option to hide reminders from the note list - that way, reminders aren't listed twice in a category (once in the reminder pane, and again in the note pane).
  • In the iOS app, the icon badge only updates if I run Evernote each morning.  Instead, it would be great if you leveraged Apple's push notification system (which can push alerts and update the badge icon without the Evernote app needing to be open).

I am a bit surprised that this has still not been fixed, or at least some info regarding when published.

All things in EN can be done using the ability to search for info/answers EXCEPT the reminders part. If you need to search for info, the reminders are useless. The hole concept is to be alerted about something, so there are two major bugs making the reminders part useless, until fixed (i know we all can prepare and get used to how we can use it etc).

1) sound on reminders in IOS

2) EN not syncing the reminders, unless you open EN on the IOS device.

Please let us know when you are planning to fix these issues, so we really can start using it, if you are going to - or if we still should look at 3 part apps to fix this, like the new "Remember the milk" version, integrating EN reminders, with all features like recurring reminders etc.....

My biggest wish is to get it all inside EN....

/Torben

One thing I'm missing is the ability to have several reminders in a single note. 

I often use EverNote to take notes during meetings. A single meeting may results in several action items. The new reminder feature is great, but it doesn't allow me to track several action items in the single meeting. 

The real great thing would be if it would be possible to attach a reminder to each checkbox in a note. 

Is there a way to automatically delete the note when the reminder is marked as completed?

Otherwise I can't see how this works for quick todos noted like "buy bread".  Do I then manually find and delete the original note after ticking the reminder?

Am I missing something obvious?

Is there a way to automatically delete the note when the reminder is marked as completed?

Otherwise I can't see how this works for quick todos noted like "buy bread".  Do I then manually find and delete the original note after ticking the reminder?

Nooo! I really would not want to delete any Note. Mine always go into an archive Notebook for future reference. 

Best regards

Chris

I think the point of Evernote is you never delete notes (just like Gmail never really deletes email).

I originally made a tag called "Todos-Completed" and just put completed tasks there (or just delete them, of course).  I eventually settled on just filtering them out from my view using the search grammar - e.g. this shows all tasks that aren't complete:  "reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*"

Cheers,

Roshan

Personally, I don't think the reminders are intended to act as a to-do list. Instead, I look at it more like in GTD where I use it as a tickler.

I spent the last week trying to use it as a to-do list until I finally gave up (last night). Now I'm back to using Wunderlist to track tasks (I can output the task lists to EN quite nicely) and EN to track the overall project.  I wish these two services were combined :)

I think you're right.

Evernote is great for archiving and retrieving but just a little too cumbersome for those lightening quick tasks you want to jot down, execute then forget. 

I guess the clue is in the name :)

I do use it as an everyday task list, but it is because I'm committed to using only one tool for all tasks.  I agree it's great for longer-running tasks, and a little bit of a pain to use for quick todos.  But I think if Evernote tries to be both a great archiver and an easy to use todo-list, it will fail at both.  I'd rather they choose to be a great archiver, optimize for that scenario, and then try their best to improve their "todo" functionality within the confines of those product principles.

I figured out how to create a saved search for reminders in a specific period.  E.g.:

• Reminders due today:  reminderTime:day -reminderTime:day+1
  • Reminders due tomorrow:  reminderTime:day+1 -reminderTime:day+2

The "reminderTime" search field shows you all reminders due on the day specified or later.  So looking at the search for reminders due today, the first part says show me reminders "due today or later", and the second part uses the "-" (NOT) modifier to say "and NOT due tomorrow or later".

Look at the search grammar to see what other date/time values you can use in search (e.g. "week", "year", etc.).  I also recommend looking at the examples under the "created:[datetime]" filter definition.  As far as the reminder-specific search terms you can use (i.e. reminderOrder, reminderTime, and reminderDoneTime) - check out this page.

Hopefully at some point they will update the search grammar page with the new reminder options, but in the meantime - I was happy to find out this is possible today after doing a little sleuthing on the forums and in the documentation.

Allright! Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the reminders, guys!

One thing - I created a note with things I want to do for my next birthday which is in one year from a weak ago...

And this note shows up first in a list, although I want it to appear only on the reminder s date. I don't wasn't to see it on the top of my list every time.

Anything you can do about?

Thanks, Michael

• Level 5

Second, both the iPad and iPhone must sync to Evernote before the reminder and notification are recognized.  So setting a reminder on the web or one Apple product does not mean that the iPad or iPhone will notify you at the specified time unless you have opened Evernote and allowed it to sync.

That is indeed an iOS limitation.  It would be one reason to turn on email notifications in the Web account settings.  The only other mechanism they have would be push notifications, but it makes sense to start with what they have in order to cover all the platforms.  iPhone/iPad/Mac(coming in the fall) push notifications are a big niche of the market but still just on niche.

I do hope for some point for a unique cheerly little chime for local ios notifications though.

• Level 5

The real great thing would be if it would be possible to attach a reminder to each checkbox in a note. 

I think that could get messy real fast, plus I like that a group of related tasks go under one umbrella reminder.

But I wish a note could include another note.

In some wiki's there's a notion of copying a note link and when pasting it into another, there's the option to paste the link or inline include the content.

Then you'd have a summary note which includes the tasks and and reminders from one or more other notes.

So a master homework summary note, would consist of multiple notes from each class.  As includes, it means the summary note updates, as the constituent referenced note content is updated.  Or you can check off items in multiple related notes from one master note.

• Level 5

I originally made a tag called "Todos-Completed" and just put completed tasks there (or just delete them, of course).  I eventually settled on just filtering them out from my view using the search grammar - e.g. this shows all tasks that aren't complete:  "reminderOrder:* -reminderDoneTime:*"

I used to do that, and I still use some filter searches, but I moved to having a stack with my default notebook and a notebook called Actions. And I have a notebook for archived notes.

There a many other notebooks for other reasons, mostly generated and maintained by 3rd party Evernote apps.

But I have various searches to only show uncompleted todos and reminders in the Stack containing Actions and my default inbox notebook. So I don't see them if they're done. Only if I'm browsing all notes in the stack. So to clean those up...

There's a cleanup search I run periodically looking for notes with no remaining unchecked/completed todo/reminders.

Then I just select all and move them to the archive notebook.

Weird Behavior

Not sure if I should start a separate topic or not but I'm seeing some strange behavior with Reminders.  Wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing it.

• Windows Phone HTC 8x running Evernote 3.2.1.87
  • Mac OS X 10.8.4 running Evernote 5.2.0 Beta 1 (401362)

Every note I create on my phone, once it syncs with the server, shows up on my Mac with a Reminder.  I'm not checking the Reminder option on my phone, but on my Mac and even my iPad the number of reminders increases with each note created.  It's as if there's a flag set that marks everything from the phone with a Reminder.  These auto-generated Reminders don't sync back to my phone though.  The only Reminders showing up on my phone are the ones I've explicitly set.

It's very weird behavior, and if screenshots or logs would help, let me know. 

I notice Remember The Milk is working with Evernote in this area. Woot!

That is a great thing, saving me a ton of manual linking.

However, the way I use it creates an issue. I have RTM populating my calendar so I don't let EN access it. I also turn off reminder emails in EN and get them only through RTM. The issue is that the way EN writes its webhooks requires a time of day as well as date. And the time of day seems to be dependent upon the time of day that the reminder was set, and through what interface (desktop, iOS, etc.) 

This creates a problem for me in that my preference is to receive individual email reminders from RTM only for those items that have a time of day specified (which now means anything I set up through EN), and to receive a mass daily reminder listing all items due that day with no specific times.

Is there anything EN developers can do to not require time of day? 

Can we have the date format automatically set to match the timezone set for Reminders?

I'm in the UK and have the timezone set for that, but the dates for Reminders are showing in US format (8/15/13 instead of 15/8/13).

Could the dates be changeable to "local style" - currently showing as 5/30/13 but here it jolly old blighty we use 30/5/13.

ta

+1, for Irish users, who also use the 21/6/13 format.

Could the dates be changeable to "local style" - currently showing as 5/30/13 but here it jolly old blighty we use 30/5/13.

ta

+1, for Irish users, who also use the 21/6/13 format.

It might be an issue with the translation files (maybe whoever did the non-US English translations failed to realise that dates are written differently in UK and Ireland) - at least, in the Danish version the dates for reminders do follow the European DD/MM/YYYY convention.

There is another annoying quirk, though: In the list of reminders, only dates in 2014 is actually written with numbers (e.g. 02/06/2014) whereas every date in 2013 is written with words and numbers, e.g. fre 13. sep instead of 13/09/2013. 

I know I've asked this before but I haven't seen any response from admin/devs: Can we get emails for Reminders that don't have a due date? I just want a daily email with a link to all of my notes with reminders.

Use case: That email hits me first thing in the morning and I know what I can work on when I have a few minutes throughout the day.

I think you're right.

Evernote is great for archiving and retrieving but just a little too cumbersome for those lightening quick tasks you want to jot down, execute then forget. 

I guess the clue is in the name :)

I do use it as an everyday task list, but it is because I'm committed to using only one tool for all tasks.  I agree it's great for longer-running tasks, and a little bit of a pain to use for quick todos.  But I think if Evernote tries to be both a great archiver and an easy to use todo-list, it will fail at both.  I'd rather they choose to be a great archiver, optimize for that scenario, and then try their best to improve their "todo" functionality within the confines of those product principles.

Completely agree with this.  I have been using EN for larger project tasks and Outlook Tasks/Reminders on iOS for smaller 'to-dos' and recurring tasks, but would prefer just to use EN for all to save looking at different apps.

Loving the reminders feature, but would like to see a badge in the iOS versions until all the tasks for that day have been completed (just like the Reminders app). 

Looking forward to future updates, including recurring reminders.

• Level 5

would like to see a badge in the iOS versions until all the tasks for that day have been completed (just like the Reminders app). 

Could be interesting.  But I wonder if there'd need to be a preference to set badge indication meaning, as some apps do.

There could be debate as to what to indicate.  Due today or overdue is useful.  Others might want the total number of Reminders set.

Like Egretlist does with unchecked todos in EN.

Todos2.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Dear Evernote Team,

just a little suggestion: when I choose a date, it would be great if I could select dates in the next month (that are greyed out) straight away. One click saved multiplied by 95 years...

skitch.png?resizeSmall&width=832

Archived