Evernote table bugs

markjl

Hello

I have problems with tables in Evernote PC desktop version v4.6.5

• Sometimes cannot add columns
  • Sometimes text is all squished up with no spaces
  • How to cut and paste a line in a table?

Thanks if you can assist

• Level 5*

Hi - Evernote's editor is pretty basic.  If you're changing your table around it's probably best to use a dedicated spreadsheet or WP application and cut/ paste the result back into your note,

Hi,

gazumped is correct.

• Regarding adding columns, it seems to depend on what you click on. My experience is that right-clicking on text in a cell gives text-specific menu, while clicking on empty space in a cell gives the table-specific menu you seek.
  • Don't believe I have observed "Sometimes text is all squished up with no spaces"
  • Copying an entire row, I'm not sure that it can be done. If you copy multiple cells it seems to paste them as an embedded table.

If you are technically minded, you might like the ENML Editor - "Get your hands dirty with your Evernote notes.". http://enml-editor.ping13.net 
It lets you edit the raw code (essentially, HTML). I used it to change the cell borders to a nice light shade of grey with this : style="border: solid #c0c0c0 1px; border-collapse: collapse;"

• 2 months later...

I love Evernote so much.  Yet I am disappointed that it is cumbersome to create tables.  As a Project Manager, I have increased my productivity by taking my 

meeting notes in Evernote.  Everything is great until I create a action items listing.  Of course, I use table to make the content easy to read.  

I run both Mac and WIN XP.  Is it true depending on the OS there are different steps to creating and editing tables.  I can certainly use another software

for tables and then, cut and paste.  There goes my productivity.  

How can I put together a petition to get the Evernote team to look at adding basic table functionality to this WONDERFUL product?

Kind Regards,

Table Seeker

• Level 5*

The notes editor is long overdue for a revamp,  but while your request will have been noted (Evernote people Read These Posts..) they don't share their roadmap or delivery dates.  You might be lucky and seem something soon.. or maybe not.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to add my voice to this issue. For some notes, tables are the only effective way to organize the information, and the functionality in Evernote is sadly lacking. I can't even use the tab key as a work-around because it doesn't allow placement of text at consistent intervals. Building the table elsewhere and then pasting it in kind of defeats the purpose of using Evernote, doesn't it? What do I do later when I want to come back and work on it some more? 

Evernote developers, PLEEEEEAAASE make this a priority as you work on the notes editor! At a minimum, make it easy to add/delete rows and columns, to adjust column width,and to copy/paste rows or columns without pasting a nested table.

Everything else about Evernote is wonderful.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to express my desire for table functionality.

Although going Google (or XL) would be optimal, having a table that you could stretch the gridlines, merge, and format the cells would be optimal.

Making a table that is invisible little squares that you could merge would make bulleted lists and the like easy, as well as being able to subdivide a bit easier than in a note/word like environment.

Having the ability to merge those cells is a godsend.

I guess the thing I am looking for is an easy way to make a list of projects I am working on, include information like addresses or contacts, and a link to a specifics note so I do not clutter up my cell phone when accessing it.

Fancy formatting and the like are not vital. Just being able to access, edit and share TONS of data between devices is.

TIA!

(Afterthought - Being able to link that table to other things would be great as well. If I could take a typical data table with names and addresses and use that as a header or title block on a word document...)

• 1 year later...

I have to comment on here as well...

As a paying member I use evernote daily and in both work and personal life.  One of my main concerns is this table issue.   I have a excel sheet which I update daily on my work computer which I copy into a note...  and I can't get the table lines to show and it's always squished.

This "seems" like a very silly bug, and would have thought since Evernote is based on taking notes that something as simple as copying a table would have been solved by now.  I'm getting very frustrated with things that shouldn't be issues... being issues, such as this. 

I LOVE evernote but I have to say...  common sense isn't so common.  I really feel this shouldn't be an issue.

This is one of the reasons that I have switched to OneNote. Despite the fact that I am not a lover of Microsoft, I have found that OneNote has several advantages over Evernote, and tables that actually work is one. This should be fixed by now.

• Level 5*

This is one of the reasons that I have switched to OneNote. Despite the fact that I am not a lover of Microsoft, I have found that OneNote has several advantages over Evernote, and tables that actually work is one. This should be fixed by now.

I'd be interested to see a full list of OneNote advantages beyond 'tables that work'...

I've been a evernote head for the longest time. ..huge advidcator but I have to look into something else now, I have one note on my desktop but have never usedit. . To many things in the past that should be common sense or standard that we have to just wait for. ..we always have to find a work around for things. I still love evernote but god do they make it hard.

I would also like to hear about OneNote.

I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I would really like to hear of any advantage that can be used.

I am already tweaking out the 'Task' Manager on Outlook to manage individual jobs (custom input sheet for items like job numbers and addresses), but finding an android app that can read all the customized fields has proven impossible. Too many only go to Google or AnyDo, etc etc....

So I have been trying to get EN to work in the same capacity and it does not seem to want to play. Things like tables that are more flexible in that they can be moved around akin to an actual XL table rather than a stunted Word table would be GREAT (I hate Word tables).

Any simple format flexibility for something like this would make life much easier.

Active link data grabbing would be a godsend (if I could put a direct link, or a specific indexed link into a cell so I could just grab that data from an online source and have it do the footwork for me...).

Anyway, I know this is only my second post, but I have not had much luck with ANY Android app that links nicely with MS Office but still allows customizability (is that a word?), active links, and decent formatting (Shame on you Touchdown!).

EN looks like it holds promise, but I have not had luck with making it look nice, or making it dance with MSO.

• Level 5*

I don't think it's possible to decide 'on paper' which note-taking app suits you best.  The only way to tell decisively is to use the app for your own purposes.  Everyone's needs vary,  and what's best for me need not be best for you.  For the paper evaluation,  try one of these comparison reviews - 

For the real world version,  get a copy of the free app and run it in parallel with your current processes.  See what works...

I've been trying to post the story behind my switching to the MS note-taking app, but my message keeps getting rejected as spam. I will try to post it in smaller chunks, but in case that doesn't work either, anyone who is interested in my experience can send me a private message and I'll send it to you.

Just to be clear, I'm not advocating one or the other, just that each has its advantages and disadvantages, and I was surprised which one I ended up liking better.

Archived