(Archived) KB shortcut to focus search box without switching to All Notes?

Nathan T

I often make use of the F6 keyboard shortcut to quickly jump to search All Notes, but I haven't been able to find a shortcut to focus the search box within the current context (ie: without clearing the current notebook, tags, contents of the search box, etc.)

I checked through here but didn't find anything: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/21958-kb-spotlight-windows-keyboard-shortcuts/.  Hopefully I just missed it?  If not, this would be an extremely useful shortcut.

• Level 5*

There's no way that I know of to do this, unfortunately. That entry itself is misleading/incorrect (as is the one from the current Knowledge Base, here), given the description "If search box is empty, move focus to it, otherwise start search and move to first highlighted keyword". Will report this to get the Knowledge Base corrected, at least.

In the mean time, if you are really in need of this feature, you could do something like this in an AutoHotkey script to make it work as you expect:

#IfWinActive, ahk_class ENMainFrameF7::ControlFocus,ENAutoCompleteEditCtrl1,ahk_class ENMainFrame#IfWinActive

This should focus the search bar, while not clearing the original search. It will only work when EN is the active window, so the hotkey is freed up when it isn't.

I tested using F7, so I could check the difference, but you can change this to F6 if that is what you prefer.

Scott

Scott, you rule. I just started playing with AHK a couple days ago as it happens, also for EN reasons.  (Had been meaning to look at it for a while, but the last straw was when I decided to change my prefix character for 20 or so EN tags and I decided it was stupid to do it manually.)  All I'd done so far though were blind keyboard echoing and text expansions.  This is awesome.

Archived