(Archived) EXB File

akrde

What if someone gets access to my personal Evernote EXB database file? Is it possible that this person can read all my private notes?

Yes. Please search the board on security and/or encryption for more info.

• Level 5

In Evernote Windows, the .exb file is the Holy Grail that contains all your private and personal information. That is why some people only use Evernote to store stuff like recipes and restaurant information.

I believe the .exb file even contains all the information you might keep in a local, non-synchronized Evernote notebook.

If you search the forum, you will find that Evernote was hit with a coordinated hack attack which exposed our cryptographically hashed and salted passwords. This forced the 50+million users to reset their passwords on all their devices and clients a few months ago. Evernote said they would do some things to improve their security, like two factor authentication.  I have not seen anything released yet. You might want to look into TrueCrypt to protect the your information.

• Level 5*

.exb files contain all notes from local (non-synced) notebooks, as well as copies of notes from all synced notebooks. They're really SQLlite databases, and can be read by a SQLlite client (I tried this once, can't remember the name of the client, but it wasn't hard).

If you search the forum, you will find that Evernote was hit with a coordinated hack attack which exposed our cryptographically hashed and salted passwords. This forced the 50+million users to reset their passwords on all their devices and clients a few months ago. Evernote said they would do some things to improve their security, like two factor authentication.  I have not seen anything released yet. You might want to look into TrueCrypt to protect the your information.

These are two entirely different issues.  The hack/attempted hack on the EN servers is not at all related to OP's question about someone having access to his exb file, since exb files only exist on Windows computers.  So to take it a step further, even if EN had implemented full Monty, all out security, that does nothing to protect the exb file on someone's desktop computer.  Likewise, if you have your exb file in a Truecrypt container & someone is successful at hacking into your account on the EN servers, they have full access to your sync'd notes. Having your exb file in a Truecrypted container is helpful only if your Windows computer is lost or stolen.  It does nothing if someone is hacking the EN servers.

Archived