How do I delete a notebook?

There needs to be a way to delete a notebook from a desktop or mobile evernote app. I find it really frustrating when the "conflicting changes" notebooks pop up and I can't delete them. They're taking up space on my account.

Hi fsp5,

There is certainly a way to delete notebooks from the Evernote Mac app. Here are the steps to follow in order to delete notebooks:

1. Launch Evernote Mac app.

2. Click on Notebooks on the left sidebar

3. Find your "conflicting changes" notebook(s). 

4. Right-click the "conflicting changes" notebook and select Delete Notebook.

Hope that helps!

• 1 month later...

I'm jumping in with the same problem.  I just attempted the 4 steps above, thank you for posting.  However, when I "right click" (on mac laptop with no mouse) the notebook name highlights, but I do not see any options to select, such as "Delete Notebook".  I have tried right click, delete button, and right click, many combination of buttons which include the delete button, in various orders.  I am able to drag the notebook name to the trash but they do not remain there.  Any suggestions?

• Level 5*

I'm jumping in with the same problem.  I just attempted the 4 steps above, thank you for posting.  However, when I "right click" (on mac laptop with no mouse) the notebook name highlights, but I do not see any options to select, such as "Delete Notebook".  I have tried right click, delete button, and right click, many combination of buttons which include the delete button, in various orders.  I am able to drag the notebook name to the trash but they do not remain there.  Any suggestions?

Hi. Welcome to the forums. You must have at least one notebook. Is it possible that you are trying to delete the only notebook in your account? This is one of the limits/restrictions on your account. For more on limits, see http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

Hi. Welcome to the forums. You must have at least one notebook. Is it possible that you are trying to delete the only notebook in your account? This is one of the limits/restrictions on your account. For more on limits, see http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=169

I have around 30 notebooks and would like to delete two.  Both of the notebooks I want to delete are currently empty.  I attempted to delete them both ways, with notes and empty.  So far I have been unsuccessful each time.

sjnance,

What version of Evernote and Mac OSX are you using? You can go to Evernote > About Evernote and the Apple icon > About This Mac to find out.

I'm not the OP, but thanks forever-evernote! I had the same problem this afternoon, which is how I found this thread. I didn't have a "delete notebook" option upon right click. I was using version 5.0.5.

I went to the App Store and found there was an upgrade waiting for me. It upgraded me to 5.1.4 and now I do have the delete option. Give that a shot OP.

Good luck,

Marshall

I have an older version of Evernote but suspect this will work for all - As many Mac users know, the equivalent of a "right click" is to hold down the Option key and click on the target. A drop-down menu appears. When I just did this, pointing to a notebook I wanted to delete, the drop-down menu included a "delete notebook" choice, which I made (you'll asked to confirm). Voila. It's gone. Surprised the Evernote techies didn't know this? I'm using a MacBook Pro.

Thanks all for your help.  I was the problem, and now have to admit publicly (how humiliating) that I was not doing the correct keystrokes for a right click on my laptop.  I'm a newbie mac user, so please forgive me for wasting your time.  However, I am happily deleting notebooks now, so it was not entirely in vain!  Again, thanks to all.  

• 2 weeks later...

Aha! The holding Option and clicking method did not work for me. BUT, holding down the CONTROL button gives me the dropdown menu and allows me to delete notebooks. Using a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.4 and Evernote 5.1.4. Finally!

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5

Hi, I cant delete the "conflicting changes" notebook either.

Hi Lthieriot,

Sorry to hear you're having problems. How are you trying to delete the notebook?

You can delete a notebook by control-clicking on it (either in the sidebar or in the notebooks list) and then selecting 'Delete Notebook…'

Does that work for you?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Moving the cursor on the notebook which I wanted to delete and tapping the trackpad using 2 fingers worked for me, a menu appeared then where I could choose "Delete Notebook", after having emptied first the content of the notebook (the conflicting notes).

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The fact that there's so many people that struggle to delete a notebook should be a clear indication to Evernote UI designers that there's a major issue.  I've wasted the last hour trying all the suggestions within multiple forums to delete a notebook.  While it could be user error on my part, it is a fact that many people like myself have struggled to simply delete a notebook, which is one of the most basic functionalities of such a system.  Why is it this unintuitive?

The fact that there's so many people that struggle to delete a notebook should be a clear indication to Evernote UI designers that there's a major issue.  I've wasted the last hour trying all the suggestions within multiple forums to delete a notebook.  While it could be user error on my part, it is a fact that many people like myself have struggled to simply delete a notebook, which is one of the most basic functionalities of such a system.  Why is it this unintuitive?

Hi, Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry you had so much difficulty in deleting a Notebook.  It must be frustrating for anyone who does not know how to do this yet.

Here is a link to the EN Knowledge Base section for deleting a Notebook:  https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/24934101

You may find at times the Knowledge Base is not "up to date".  However, I think this particular section is, but I don't know for sure.  Not sure anyone does!

Hope this helps those who are still looking. 

• 1 year later...

Hello!

I know this forum hasn't been replied to in a while but i came across it as i was trying to figure out how to delete a notebook and sure enough i figured out a way!

This method is what I used on the Evernote app for Mac users!

Go to "View" at the top, click "Notebooks"

When you get there, it should display all the notebooks you have in the app

Click on the notebook you wish to delete and that should highlight it (put a blue border around the notebook)

Then, just right click, or hold Control and click the selected notebook and it should give you the option to "Delete Notebook"

And Voíla! 

You can also use this to rename the notebook if you wanted to

Hope this helps :)

• 2 months later...

I have a mac powerbook pro retina, OS 10.11.1

I have tried everything suggested to delete  "notebooks" mentioned in here.  I find it frustrating that so much time and energy is wasted just trying to do something as simple as delete a notebook, and there are so many others who are frustrated as well. I WAS thinking about paying for an upgrade, but considering the poor response to a very simple problem, I doubt that I will ever PAY for an upgrade. 

1) Very poor response to a simple problem for users

2) Why would I pay for an upgrade to a company that can't forsee needing to delete a notebook??? somewhere in the interface?

3) Do the engineers for Evernote even test their product on a mac? Maybe evernote is just not a good product for a mac user if they can't test or be responsive to so much frustration over something as simple as deleting a notebook.

• 10 months later...

I had this problem too, so found this post really helpful.

On a Mac you have to click on the Notebook and then press the 'control' button and then all the options appear including 'delete notebook'.

Thanks

P.S. I wish using Evernote as as intuitive as using a Mac!

• 6 months later...
On 7/5/2013 at 9:38 AM, Heidi said:

Aha! The holding Option and clicking method did not work for me. BUT, holding down the CONTROL button gives me the dropdown menu and allows me to delete notebooks. Using a MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.4 and Evernote 5.1.4. Finally!

Thank you Heidi!   I was having a heck of a time trying to delete a notebook I created by mistake.  The only way I could get the dropdown menu with the Delete Notebook option was to hold down the CONTROL button while clicking on the notebook.  THANK YOU!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
在 2017/6/20 在 AM5點39分, Evernote Scott說:

This is crazy how difficult it is to figure out how to Delete a file on notebook. This should be a SIMPLE task. Whoever wrote the system must not use it. Everyone needs to Delete notebooks from time to time.

Simple deleting a note will not far enough to wipe your notebook data, you have to use the "factory reset" feature to wipe your Mac clean.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived