What fitness tracking apps do you use?

I'm wondering what apps people are currently using to track their fitness and health? Whether or not it integrates with Evernote. Please provide:

Name the app. 

Why do you use it? 

What else have you tried? 

What do you like most about it? 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm wondering what apps people are currently using to track their fitness and health? Whether or not it integrates with Evernote. Please provide:

Name the app. 

Why do you use it? 

Endomondo

It is a really useful tool!   It tracks my walks, hikes as well as my workouts.  I wear a heart rate monitor with it, and I love the fact that I can see a google map of my route once my workout is complete.  I also like how it gives me a vocal update at each mile marker telling me distance, mile time and overall time.

I've also used Map My Walk, but I prefer endomondo.  I have a Fitbit One and have been tracking my steps since July 2012.

Name the app. 

Why do you use it? 

Endomondo

It is a really useful tool!   It tracks my walks, hikes as well as my workouts.  I wear a heart rate monitor with it, and I love the fact that I can see a google map of my route once my workout is complete.  I also like how it gives me a vocal update at each mile marker telling me distance, mile time and overall time.

I've also used Map My Walk, but I prefer endomondo.  I have a Fitbit One and have been tracking my steps since July 2012.

Thanks for the feedback Noelty!

Hi Anthro,

Another fitbit user here which for me is not only about the exercise but about my sleeping habits and what affects them.

I use Garmin software to record my bike rides and have used Strava Cycling and Sports Tracker.

The Garmin software is basic but suits my needs. Sports Tracker is a lot better but it became a chore to keep moving the data over one activity at a time. I use my bike to commute to work so that meant having to go through the task twice. So I stopped using it.

Best regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I use Fitbit and love it! My weekly reports are sent via Gmail filter to my Evernote account. I like having the data stored on my weekly progress.

Ah, the filter is a great idea for getting the reports into Evernote. Thanks for that! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Nike's fitness app is really good and i also use it. I am using this app from many days and it is very effective and helpful for me. I think its a good idea to use this kind if fitness app to maintain fitness.

What do you like most about the app? What data are you tracking with it? 

I've been humming and hawing over a tracker for a long time, but I think the new UP24 will be my device, I'll be picking one up in the new year.

For me, I have a research job, so lots of desk time. It is easy for me to go entire days with minimal activity other than when I get to the gym. I have used phone-based trackers like Moves (e.g., with no external hardware) to learn that my day-to-day activity can vary considerably and I'd like to get my baseline (non-gym) activity levels up a bit. from my time with Moves I've learned to spot patterns in my activity that I can change. I hope that the UP24, with its more accurate tracking and sleep tracking integration will help me out more in this regard and allow me to set goals and what not in order to get some external motivation (which I desperately need). 

the UP integrates with Evernote through IFTTT and it looks like there is a pretty good diversity of commands. I'll definitely be playing around with this and will post here with my thoughts in the new year. 

I use Fitbit's own app on iOS and - via dongle - on OSX. I'm not sure I need to send weekly reports to Evernote as the app doesn't seem to throw data away.

Martin, I agree. The app is good for keeping data. However, for me it's not the only data I track. I put it in Evernote so that I have ALL of my fitness data in one place. 

I've been humming and hawing over a tracker for a long time, but I think the new UP24 will be my device, I'll be picking one up in the new year.

For me, I have a research job, to lots of desk time. It is easy for me to go entire days with minimal activity other than when I get to the gym. I have used phone-based trackers like Moves (e.g., with no external hardware) to learn that my day-to-day activity can vary considerably and I'd like to get my baseline (non-gym) activity levels up a bit. from my time with Moves I've learned to spot patterns in my activity that I can change. I hope that the UP24, with its more accurate tracking and sleep tracking integration will help me out more in this regard and allow me to set goals and what not in order to get some external motivation (which I desperately need). 

the UP integrates with Evernote through IFTTT and it looks like there is a pretty good diversity of commands. I'll definitely be playing around with this and will post here with my thoughts in the new year. 

Yes, please do! I'd love to hear how you do with it and how it helps you. I'm always looking for new tools that can help people with their accountability and motivation. 

• 6 months later...

I use Fitbit and love it! My weekly reports are sent via Gmail filter to my Evernote account. I like having the data stored on my weekly progress.

Ah, the filter is a great idea for getting the reports into Evernote. Thanks for that! 

I use Fitbit too and really like it. I also have a GMail filter setup to send the Fitbit weekly reports to Evernote. I have an IFTTT recipe setup to append each day's new data from my Fitbit to a note.

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner for a number of years too for my running/jogging. The data gets uploaded to Garmin's Connect website. Unfortuantely, the Garmin Connect website is not very "open" and I don't see an easy way to export data to Evernote for a log with the rest of my health/fitness information. Garmin does not seem to support IFTTT or anything similar.

Has anyone come up with a good way of getting run data from the Garmin Connect website to Evernote?

I use Fitbit too and really like it. I also have a GMail filter setup to send the Fitbit weekly reports to Evernote. I have an IFTTT recipe setup to append each day's new data from my Fitbit to a note.

I have been using a Garmin Forerunner for a number of years too for my running/jogging. The data gets uploaded to Garmin's Connect website. Unfortuantely, the Garmin Connect website is not very "open" and I don't see an easy way to export data to Evernote for a log with the rest of my health/fitness information. Garmin does not seem to support IFTTT or anything similar.

Has anyone come up with a good way of getting run data from the Garmin Connect website to Evernote?

I know at least a few third party apps can pull data from a Garmin Forerunner 205/305 & probably the newer models. IE Sporttracks by Zone Five Software. So you may have luck looking at a third party app that would pull the data from the device, then possibly have a way to export to EN. Or if you're a coder, you could try to make your own interface.

I know at least a few third party apps can pull data from a Garmin Forerunner 205/305 & probably the newer models. IE Sporttracks by Zone Five Software. So you may have luck looking at a third party app that would pull the data from the device, then possibly have a way to export to EN. Or if you're a coder, you could try to make your own interface.

Thanks for the tip. I had a look at Sportstracks but it's a little expensive to use just as an interface between Garmin and EN. I'll have a scout around and see if I can find an alternative and post back here if I find one.

• 2 months later...

Hello, I'm new to Evernote this week. I've realised it's a great way for me to bring together a load of date based data to help me write a book. I've been cycling around the world for the last two years and I'm just starting to bring together all of my data in one place so I can search for a particular date.

Facebook, Youtube history, Old digital diaries and photos of my hand written diaries.

I would also like to add Android location, Spotify and iTunes play history, Garmin routes,Kindle notes, Good Reads history, IMDB history etc etc to I can see exactly what I did on a particular day.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 GPS unit together with a HRM to record my data. 

HR, Route and everything else cycling related.

I currently upload to Garmin Connect and that instantly sends the route to my big multiple routes map on http://www.irreverence.co.uk/activities/map/?user=77ddb670

That is then accessible from my blog at http://batmantorobben.com/route/

Ideally I would like to be able to send each days Garmin Connect info to a new note in a notebook.

Showing the route on the map in the notebook, along with the key info. KM's , elevation, temperature etc.

I have tried to share from Garmin Connect's homepage but the way it arrives in my notebook is pretty poor. It doesn't seem to export the date , which I would like as the title of the note.

I would like to have the "date created" to match the date the ride was done rather than the day it was exported.  As date created seems to be the best way for searching?

As a second option it would be great if I could automatically retrieve all my historical data from garmin connect and just add the link for the particular day to an individual note in a notebook. Again having the title or date created date to match the activity.

If Strava or another site integrates in a smoother way I'm happy to have my Garmin Connect data sent to that site first.

I'll keep using Garmin as my primary upload site though.

I have used Noom for quite some time to track my workouts, daily steps and food intake. Since I don't use the last anymore and that was basically the focus of the app, I've tossed it and now only use the Noom pedometer. I'm still working on what app I'd like for my workouts. I now have Evie, a Dutch app that allows me to track what I've done and that gives me feedback about my performance every 5 minutes, which is a feature I really like. It is limited to running, though, so I might start using Endomondo somewhere soon. It also has an audio coach and offers many more sports to choose from. With the online environment, it ought to be possible to send info to Evernote, either directly or through Gmail. My husband will be getting a Garmin watch with HRM that I might use as well, so that opens up other possibilities.

Currently, I basically just make a workout log in Evernote every time I've done something. I will look into pedometers that can send info to Evernote, though, because that's information I'd like to have as well. I'm kind of new, rediscovered Evernote just a month ago, so I am figuring out what exactly I want to do with it and how.

Hello, I'm new to Evernote this week. I've realised it's a great way for me to bring together a load of date based data to help me write a book. I've been cycling around the world for the last two years and I'm just starting to bring together all of my data in one place so I can search for a particular date.

Facebook, Youtube history, Old digital diaries and photos of my hand written diaries.

I would also like to add Android location, Spotify and iTunes play history, Garmin routes,Kindle notes, Good Reads history, IMDB history etc etc to I can see exactly what I did on a particular day.

I use a Garmin Edge 800 GPS unit together with a HRM to record my data. 

HR, Route and everything else cycling related.

I currently upload to Garmin Connect and that instantly sends the route to my big multiple routes map on http://www.irreverence.co.uk/activities/map/?user=77ddb670

That is then accessible from my blog at http://batmantorobben.com/route/

Ideally I would like to be able to send each days Garmin Connect info to a new note in a notebook.

Showing the route on the map in the notebook, along with the key info. KM's , elevation, temperature etc.

I have tried to share from Garmin Connect's homepage but the way it arrives in my notebook is pretty poor. It doesn't seem to export the date , which I would like as the title of the note.

I would like to have the "date created" to match the date the ride was done rather than the day it was exported.  As date created seems to be the best way for searching?

As a second option it would be great if I could automatically retrieve all my historical data from garmin connect and just add the link for the particular day to an individual note in a notebook. Again having the title or date created date to match the activity.

If Strava or another site integrates in a smoother way I'm happy to have my Garmin Connect data sent to that site first.

I'll keep using Garmin as my primary upload site though.

I use the Garmin Edge 800 as well. A great way of recording everything about your bike ride including heartrate.

I cannot see any simple way to link the data automatically to Evernote. But then I am happy to keep it in Garmin Connect.

As mentioned earlier, I also use a fitbit one for general thins like walking and for me, more importantly monitoring my sleep patterns.

Regards

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Level 5

Anyone have any experiences with the Jabra Sport Pulse Wireless headphones and companion Jabra Sport Life app? I'm thinking particularly of heart rate monitoring as well as playback of standard iOS music and podcasts.

And any integration with Evernote (perhaps via IFTTT)?

• 1 month later...

I wear a Withings Pulse for activity tracking and use their WIFI scales too so I use the Withings app for iOS and their website.  I use MyFitnessPal on iOS and the web for tracking my nutrition.

Archived