(Archived) need help downgrading from 5 to 3. it's ugly...

Paul.Evernote

Idea

Everything was going fine. I gave v5 the boot soon after its release and lived happily on my Mac Pro with v3 (excellent for GTD workflow). All was fine until I hit update all in my Mac app store and to my horror v3 was upgraded to v5. Every time I remove v5 and reinstall v3 it gets hung up on downloading my sync data. The app never works. Here's what I have at my disposal:

- a time machine backup of my v3 .bom and .plist files for evernote

- a macbook air running v3 working just fine

Can the forum help me put the pieces back together so I can live happily ever after with v3 once more on my Mac Pro?

PS - I'm not interested in being sold on the "merits" of v5.

8 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. I'm afraid I can't be of much help here. I would think uninstalling everything from your computer (use an app zapper app just in case) and reinstalling ought to do the trick.

Or, upgrade to v5, which is so much better because... oh yeah, you don't want to hear that :)

Seriously, though, the Windows app is structured more like v3 (I assume you like the left column), and it is in many ways (sorry Mac team) far more functional than v5 or v3. You might want to consider Parallels. You can then have the most recently updated app with all of the new functionality.

• Level 5

Hi Paul, I won't try to "sell" you on v5, but I'd love to know what you're missing in your GTD workflow in the new version. (I personally use GTD at work with notebooks/tags expanded in the sidebar and cmd-click tags to multi-select them).

As far as syncing with v3 goes, we've made quite a few back-end changes which, depending on the data in your account, may make syncing on an old client difficult.

Thank you for your reply. Here's my workflow (simplified for example purposes):

Notebooks:

- Action Pending

- Completed

Tags:

- When

-- 1-Now

-- 2-Next

-- [...]

To view my immediate to-do's I will select the notebook Action Pending then select 1-Now. This multi-select ability gets me the exact notes I want to see.

When I complete a to-do, I drag the note to the Completed notebook.

Maybe it comes down to add'l training for me. Based on my previous attempts, I wasn't able to replicate my v3 workflow in v5. A few questions regarding v5:

1. Can I select a notebook, then select a tag to filter down to the notes I want?
  2. Can I drag a note to a tag in order to attach that tag to the note?
  3. Can I drag a note to a notebook to change which notebook it resides in?
  • Level 5

Yes to all of the above :)

1. Selecting a notebook and tag... three ways for each - first select a notebook either from the sidebar, the top of the note list, or a keyboard shortcut, cmd-J. Then select a tag by cmd-clicking on a tag in the sidebar, using the tag selector at the top of the note list, or a keyboard shortcut, cmd-shift-J.
  2. Dragging a note to a tag in the sidebar. Yes, you absolutely can. There's also a shortcut to change a note's tags: cmd-' (apostrophe)
  3. Drag a note to a notebook to change its notebook. Definitely.  There's also a shortcut to move a note to a different notebook: cmd-ctrl-M

Hope this helps!

• Level 5*

Yes to all of the above :)

1. Selecting a notebook and tag... three ways for each - first select a notebook either from the sidebar, the top of the note list, or a keyboard shortcut, cmd-J. Then select a tag by cmd-clicking on a tag in the sidebar, using the tag selector at the top of the note list, or a keyboard shortcut, cmd-shift-J.
  2. Dragging a note to a tag in the sidebar. Yes, you absolutely can. There's also a shortcut to change a note's tags: cmd-' (apostrophe)
  3. Drag a note to a notebook to change its notebook. Definitely.  There's also a shortcut to move a note to a different notebook: cmd-ctrl-M

Hope this helps!

I wonder if he might not know how to open up the toolbar. Right-click on the notebook icon, and you'll see a list of your notebooks in the sidebar. The same will work with tags. 

Archived