(Archived) Local notebook gone

Jarreth

Hi,

I'm Jarreth, from Italy. New to the forum but not to Evernote, which I love!

As the topic title says, i can't find anymore my local notebook. 

I didn't delete it on purpose, but i fear this could be caused by some maintenance software that I've run in the past days that solves missing links, registry keys or stuff like this.

Could this be the case? Any idea on how can I make it come back?

Thanks in advance for your support!

Hi,

As the topic title says, i can't find anymore re my local notebook.

I didn't delete it on purpose, but i fear this could be caused by some maintenance software that I've run in the past days that solves missing links, registry keys or stuff like this.

It's doubtful any other app deleted your local notebooks. On the Wndows client, all notebooks are in the same database. So if your sync'd notebooks are fine, then either you deleted your local notebook(s) or you rebuilt your database. Did you rebuild your database by downloading notes from the Evernote servers? AFAIK, those are the only two ways you could have sync'd notebooks be fine but lose local notebooks.

If the notes are not in the Evernote trash, the only way to recover non-sync'd notes would be if you had a backup of your exb file.

Hi,

As the topic title says, i can't find anymore re my local notebook.

It's doubtful any other app deleted your local notebooks. On the Wndows client, all notebooks are in the same database. So if your sync'd notebooks are fine, then either you deleted your local notebook(s) or you rebuilt your database. Did you rebuild your database by downloading notes from the Evernote servers? AFAIK, those are the only two ways you could have sync'd notebooks be fine but lose local notebooks.

If the notes are not in the Evernote trash, the only way to recover non-sync'd notes would be if you had a backup of your exb file.

Thanks for your answer!

Yes, that's the point: sync'd notebooks are fine, but the local one is gone. It isn't in the trash and when I clear it I always check for files deleted by mistake. I don't know precisely when that notebook disappeared, because i didn't need it since today. I don't have a backup, fortunately they are not important notes.

But i can't see what you mean with "rebuild the database"...but know I recall that i logged in the web app two days ago in order to change my password. Could that sync in a wrong way?

But i can't see what you mean with "rebuild the database"...but know I recall that i logged in the web app two days ago in order to change my password. Could that sync in a wrong way?

Since local notebooks are not sync'd, syncing has nothing to do with this, other than as indicated below.

What I mean by rebuild your database is if you installed Evernote on a different notebook & sync'd the notes down from the cloud. Or you uninstalled EN, reinstalled & rebuilt the database from the cloud.

I updated Evernote. Than when the new version was installed I press "Sync". Fatal error? :)

Like I said, unless you totally rebuilt your database from the Evernote servers by renaming/deleting the exb file, syncing has no effect on local notebooks. In the future, if you have local notebooks, you should regularly backup your exb file. Please search the board on backup, should you need more info.

No, i didn't modify the .exb file, on that i'm totally sure. But I saw that some app recognize .exb as "extension not used", but even if this was a problem, than all notebooks should have gone.

Well, I'll suppose that I delete that notebook without knowing it.

Thanks for the advice on backup, i'll surely read more on the issue and for your time!

• 7 months later...

I have the same issue, all local notebooks are gone, after some Evernote staff advised me to delete all traces of EN and make a clean reinstall. It didn't solve the problem (EN crashing), but it took all my personal data, which I had assumed were stored safely on the Evernote server...

F..., he could have told me that, couldn't he???

I seriously consider to drop this program.

I have the same issue, all local notebooks are gone, after some Evernote staff advised me to delete all traces of EN and make a clean reinstall. It didn't solve the problem (EN crashing), but it took all my personal data, which I had assumed were stored safely on the Evernote server...

I'm pretty sure EN staff informs you about local notebooks any time they instruct you to uninstall Evernote. I know it's always included in all the emails I've ever received over the years. Please review your correspondence between you & EN staff & look for instructions to export local and/or unsync'd notes. However, since local notebooks are not sync'd, I don't know why you'd think the notes were "stored safely on the Evernote server."

I'm pretty sure EN staff informs you about local notebooks any time they instruct you to uninstall Evernote. I know it's always included in all the emails I've ever received over the years. Please review your correspondence between you & EN staff & look for instructions to export local and/or unsync'd notes. However, since local notebooks are not sync'd, I don't know why you'd think the notes were "stored safely on the Evernote server."

Hello sebastianbehrle,

I'm so sorry to hear this is continuing to happen! I have escalated your ticket to our next level of support. Thanks for your patience while we attempt to resolve your issue.

In the meantime, please send a new log:

1. In the menu, go to Help --> Activity Log...

2. Click the "Save" button in that window to save your log to a file

3. Please reply to this email and attach that file as an attachment to your reply (don't try to paste it into your reply, since it may be very large).

This will give us detailed information about the issue you are having, so that we may assist you better.

Evernote

sebastianbehrle - Dec 11

I did as you wrote.

Uninstalled with Revo, made a clean install.

Started Evernote, and it didn’t crash at once! Only a few minutes later during the sync process… abnormal program termination it says

This is becoming urgent. I am using Evernote for work, and I am depending on 100% reliability. Please get it solved. If I should be the only one with that kind of problem, you are welcome to use Teamviewer to help me solving the problem.

I have not installed anything unusual on my computer lately. However, a few days ago I updated my Chrome browser, and the Evernote Web Clipper acted strange after that.

Best regards

Sebastian

Karl - Dec 10

Thanks for this information. Since you are still having problems, I'd like to have you to completely wipe Evernote from your computer and perform a clean install.

First:

Go to File > Exit (to close Evernote completely).

Then:

Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system and then Reboot your computer.

Download and install this version of the Windows client:

http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=Win

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

Please let me know if this works for you.

sebastianbehrle - Dec 10

Hey Karl,

Evernote crashes straight upon launching, so I cannot access the log via the program.

The mentioned folder is empty,

See

The folder Logs is dated 27/11, that was just before the last update, wasn’t it?

Best regards

Sebastian

image001.png

Karl - Dec 10

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I'm sorry this is happening.

I'd like to view a copy of your activity log. If possible, attempt to recreate the issue you are experiencing, click the Sync button, and then:

3. Please reply to this email and attach that file as an attachment to your reply (don't try to paste it into your reply, since it may be very large).

If you are unable to access the log in those steps, please do the following:

Please open the "My Computer" tool from Windows, and then paste the following into the "browser" bar:

**Windows XP:**

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

**Windows Vista/7:**

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

This should open the logfiles folder. Please attach the most recent files to a reply to this email.

sebastianbehrle - Dec 09

sebastianbehrle@gmail Premium user

Since yesterday Evernote on my W8 computer keeps crashing. Un- and reinstalling is of no help.

Capture.JPG

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/evernote

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/evernote

Check out our Blog: http://blog.evernote.com

Account Settings: https://www.evernote.com/User.action

Discussion Boards: http://discussion.evernote.com/

Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

Hello sebastianbehrle,

I'm so sorry to hear this is continuing to happen! I have escalated your ticket to our next level of support. Thanks for your patience while we attempt to resolve your issue.

In the meantime, please send a new log:

This will give us detailed information about the issue you are having, so that we may assist you better.

Evernote

sebastianbehrle - Dec 11

I did as you wrote.

Uninstalled with Revo, made a clean install.

Started Evernote, and it didn’t crash at once! Only a few minutes later during the sync process… abnormal program termination it says

This is becoming urgent. I am using Evernote for work, and I am depending on 100% reliability. Please get it solved. If I should be the only one with that kind of problem, you are welcome to use Teamviewer to help me solving the problem.

I have not installed anything unusual on my computer lately. However, a few days ago I updated my Chrome browser, and the Evernote Web Clipper acted strange after that.

Best regards

Sebastian

Karl - Dec 10

Thanks for this information. Since you are still having problems, I'd like to have you to completely wipe Evernote from your computer and perform a clean install.

First:

Go to File > Exit (to close Evernote completely).

Then:

Please download and install the free version of "Revo Uninstaller" from the following link.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Once Revo is installed use it to remove all traces of Evernote from your system and then Reboot your computer.

Download and install this version of the Windows client:

http://evernote.com/download/get.php?file=Win

Install with Internet Explorer and Outlook (if present) closed, selecting "Install for You" and not "Install for Everyone" during the installation process.

Please let me know if this works for you.

sebastianbehrle - Dec 10

Hey Karl,

Evernote crashes straight upon launching, so I cannot access the log via the program.

The mentioned folder is empty,

See

The folder Logs is dated 27/11, that was just before the last update, wasn’t it?

Best regards

Sebastian

image001.png

Karl - Dec 10

Thanks for contacting Evernote support. I'm sorry this is happening.

I'd like to view a copy of your activity log. If possible, attempt to recreate the issue you are experiencing, click the Sync button, and then:

If you are unable to access the log in those steps, please do the following:

Please open the "My Computer" tool from Windows, and then paste the following into the "browser" bar:

**Windows XP:**

%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

**Windows Vista/7:**

%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\Logs

This should open the logfiles folder. Please attach the most recent files to a reply to this email.

sebastianbehrle - Dec 09

sebastianbehrle@gmail Premium user

Since yesterday Evernote on my W8 computer keeps crashing. Un- and reinstalling is of no help.

Capture.JPG

Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/evernote

Follow us on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/evernote

Check out our Blog: http://blog.evernote.com

Account Settings: https://www.evernote.com/User.action

Discussion Boards: http://discussion.evernote.com/

Evernote Corporation, 305 Walnut Street, Redwood City, CA, 94063, USA

You inform the support person that EN crashes immediately upon launching.  So you could not have exported your local notebooks from that exb file (which appears to be corrupted) & that's why you were not instructed to export the local notes.  However, if you had had a current (or fairly current) & uncorrupted backup of your exb file, you could have pulled the local notebooks from the backup. (Since local notebooks are not sync'd.)  Again, it's the user's responsibility to retain current backups if/when they elect to have local/non-sync'd notebooks.

Archived