webpage auto-opens but not my default Homepage

jlhetrick

Hi - I guess EVERNOTE folks have pulled a fast one on me and I need help shutting it down.  Does anyone know how they manage to make the "Getting Started with Web Clipper" webpage open automatically when I start Safari?  

It doesn't happen every time but it seems like it's cycling to open automatically after a certain number of times Safari opens (opens every 10th time I open Safari for example - 10 is a made up number since I haven't actually counted).

I need to know how to stop this ***** if anyone has the answer.  Thanks in advance.  

Hi jlhetrick,

What OS version, Safari version & Clipper version?

Do you have any setting or extension installed that wipes local storage or cookies on a regular basis?

Loading the 'Getting started page' is only supposed to happen the first time you install the extension. Logged this as a bug and hope to fix it for the next release.

Thanks for the report.

Hi jlhetrick,

Do you have any setting or extension installed that wipes local storage or cookies on a regular basis?

Loading the 'Getting started page' is only supposed to happen the first time you install the extension. Logged this as a bug and hope to fix it for the next release.

Thanks for the report.

OS is 10.8.3, Safari 6.0.4, and I have no idea what version the Clipper is.  I use "Reset Safari" regularly to clear everything.

Resetting Safari will delete the flag we set that you have seen the 'Getting started guide', I realize you and others probably want to keep resetting Safari at regular intervals so we are looking at ways to store this flag somewhere else. 

• 3 weeks later...

Resetting Safari will delete the flag we set that you have seen the 'Getting started guide', I realize you and others probably want to keep resetting Safari at regular intervals so we are looking at ways to store this flag somewhere else. 

Actually, I reset Safari multiple times before posting here and have reset it multiple times since (have done this several times a week before every using Evernote).  I have uninstalled Evernote and hope this will finally stop the auto-load of the webpage.  Thanks for your reply.  

• 3 weeks later...

I use the evernote app almost daily  with my  ipad,   but  I have the clipper extension in safari and  every time I open safari  it  loads  to the  right of my default home page . It is  a nuisance   to me I  clear my  cookies etc  2-3 times  when I am on line… no difference... any suggestions? My  IMac is  10.68 version Safari is 5.1.9 

please  help me. thanks!~

@jodyagerton

I recoomend you update both OSX & Safari to the latest stable version. We use local storage to store flags to kepp track of if the user has seen the getting started page and I'm pretty sure Safari 5.1.9 has a different local storage mechanism then the 6.x versions. We test and support 10.7.5, 10.8.x and Safari 6.x.

Hope that helps. 

• 5 months later...

Same thing here.  Safari 7.0 and web clipper.  Every time I reset Safari, my home page opens up AND the Evernote home page.  So, essentially, I've got TWO tabs open.  Yup -- I can close one, but I shouldn't have to.

This has happened ever since I installed the web clipper -- since waaay back when.  Whenever it was introduced!  :)  So, really, for me, there's been no "stable" version of OSX & Safari.  I started with Lion, and am now at Mavericks.  I hope there can be some solution.  I'd hate to uninstall it, but it's *just* annoying enough....ya know?

Another question I have -- does anyone else have the same issue with any other extensions?  I had the same thing happen with one other extension, but only once.

Thanks for letting me put in my two cents!  :)

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Evernote is making me hate them since they created this amazing annoying thing:

when I open Safari this damn pages opens over my home page. Is there an effective way to stop this annoying thing from happening?

I've already turned off this extension and it did not help. Triple damn!!

People from Evernote, this is NOT doing ANY good to you.

post-224887-0-78735800-1411762121_thumb.

You must realise NOBODY asked Evernote to do this. If the amazing team of programmers created this, may I suggest that, after it appears ONCE it self deletes itself?

Why can Evernote create a thing that's so annoying to many users and find it useful???

I'm impressed that since 2013 the Evernote team has been unable to find a cure for this disease...

May I create a "flag" that will direct EVERY browser on Evernote offices worldwide to go to an idiot page every tome they're open? This way you'll experience how nice it is to have someone ***** things for you without advice or even permission.

Hi jlhetrick,

Thanks for the report.

Thank god I'm not the only one to have experienced this really annoying issue with the Web Clipper and Safari. I experienced the same thing more than a year ago, so I uninstalled the Web Clipper out of disdain for this absurd issue. We can put a go-cart on Mars that takes and analyzes the Red Planet's soil samples and sends the results back to us. Evernote can't figure out this rather small issue with Clipper vs. Safari? Please...it's, I'm sure, a question of priorities. Too busy selling highly prices items in Evernote's Market?

In any event, I thought I would give it another try last week (after a year of not using it), but the exact same issue--the dumb-opening-vidoe-about-how-to-use-Evernote Web Clipper appears every time I open Safari on both my iMac and MacBook--EVERY TIME. I contacted Evernote support this week, and the guy had actually never heard of the problem. Unbelievable. He wanted me to repair permissions (which I did, and which had no effect whatsoever), uninstall Safari from my Macs (forget it; it's not worth that), and all kinds of other *****. (As an aside, I have the same issue with Pocket's extension in Safari, which I've removed). Evernote's support staff never gave me a solution.

So I find it stunning that Evernote, a great company with smart people, can't figure this one out over the course of almost two years. I've deleted .plists, trashed caches, and everything I can think of, but I can always rely on the "first launch" page of the Web Clipper to appear every time I open Safari. Aside from Pocket, I have no problem with any other extension in Safari.

Question for the class: Is it even necessary to install the Web Clipper extension in Safari when we have the Evernote Elephant in our tool bar that will do the same thing (if I understand it correctly), and you don't even have to log in from Safari?

Look at this thread and how long this issue has been presented to Evernote. This is what we get for Premium?

• 1 month later...

I was hoping this issue would be resolved by now. I've been a Premium user for awhile. I was experiencing the same thing as the OP on my Macbook Pro running latest version of Mavericks last year. Then I just bought a new Macbook Pro Retina a month ago and installed the Evernote Webclipper and once again the issue has surfaced. Sigh... I hope Evernote fixes this sooner than later...

I believe Evernote - the app - became so complex that nobody at Evernote - the company - understands it anymore. The latest issues they screwed on the Mac version are:

- sync before quitting - if you edit and quit, now it'll not be synched. Before the actual version 6, it would sync, then quit. Nobody at Evernote noticed this...

- "don't remember your login" option when you login so, when you quit and another person opens Evernote he will have to login with their login. Your data was not exposed to curious people. On the latest update, this feature was killed. So, if you don't log out, your data is accessible to anyone, from kids that like to play with daddy's computer to curious people.

I opened a topic on this and a guy from Evernote, who's been using it for four years (!!!) told me he never heard about them... Wow! I wonder what's he doing there...

I can't understand why companies, in the name of frequent "upgrades", actually downgrade their softwares. Sounds so dumb to me. This is what makes me begin to look to alternatives.

This damn web clipper was deleted from both my iMac and MacBook because it was SO annoying. And people from Evernote keep telling me the most nonsense suggestions for a possible solution to a bad programming. The good software is the one that doesn't stand between you and what you want to do. Evernote, more and more, is doing their best to always be noted...

Hi jlhetrick,

Thanks for the report.

That was May 2013.  Still not fixed. guess only a few people are commenting and its not on Evernote's list to do.  Seems they'd prefer to take over the browser like spammers and put it in our face.

I believe Evernote - the app - became so complex that nobody at Evernote - the company - understands it anymore. The latest issues they screwed on the Mac version are:

- sync before quitting - if you edit and quit, now it'll not be synched. Before the actual version 6, it would sync, then quit. Nobody at Evernote noticed this...

- "don't remember your login" option when you login so, when you quit and another person opens Evernote he will have to login with their login. Your data was not exposed to curious people. On the latest update, this feature was killed. So, if you don't log out, your data is accessible to anyone, from kids that like to play with daddy's computer to curious people.

I opened a topic on this and a guy from Evernote, who's been using it for four years (!!!) told me he never heard about them... Wow! I wonder what's he doing there...

I can't understand why companies, in the name of frequent "upgrades", actually downgrade their softwares. Sounds so dumb to me. This is what makes me begin to look to alternatives.

This damn web clipper was deleted from both my iMac and MacBook because it was SO annoying. And people from Evernote keep telling me the most nonsense suggestions for a possible solution to a bad programming. The good software is the one that doesn't stand between you and what you want to do. Evernote, more and more, is doing their best to always be noted...

I'm so in with you!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm so in with you!

Seriously..... who asked evernote to do this? Fix it now, its been over a year since this was reported and i hate the annoyance and productivity killer!

• 3 years later...

So it's 2018, and this still happens. It's been one of those minor annoyances for years now. Not only does evernote still auto-load this page upon starting the browser, but with this page, evernote loads the following cookies. Why? 

I tossed out the dysfunctional Evernote towel not long after my post from October 1, 2014. Given the general contempt that the Evernote company has shown towards its paying customers for years, it's not really a surprise that the Homeric saga of the Evernote Clipper continues without a resolution.

For what it's worth, however, I finally figured out that the issue with the Clipper is one of (what else?) cookies. I'm not one who enjoys having cookies from multiple companies sitting on my Mac after using Safari. So I would routinely delete the cookies, and this would prompt the Clipper to force me to go through its settings/opening page every time I logged back on with Safari. At some point, just using shift+command+4 on a Mac just became easier.

I would say that the presence of the various cookies that you are finding (noted above) is a routine practice not just from Evernote, but from every website that you visit to one degree or another. A partial solution is to install a few browser extensions that can help block some cookies and trackers. I use Ghostery and uBlock, which do a reasonably good job, but even they cannot catch everything.

As for Evernote, I haven't opened the app in a couple of years. I responded here because I get an email notification that this issue is STILL plaguing Evernote's customers. Hope you find it useful. 

• 6 months later...

I can't believe Evernote got so arrogant about this that never intended to fix it, I suppose to keep getting views on their website but I got so upset to find out about this that I had to delete it, and since I can't pin anything directly I will have to check other options.

Archived