This is how I changed the Evernote Data folder to another Hard Drive

staryume

Idea

I am currently a premium user , but due to SSD storage limitations (i am using a 128 GB SSD) , the evernote data files are likely to fill up my SSD very soon. Obviously, The simplest way to resolve is changing the data storage folder or evernote to another HDD Drive. However the OS X app doesn't offer such settings to do so .

After some searching in this forum and also by googling, I finally managed the easiest way of how to change the Evernote data storage folder to an another hard disk drive.     ;) Here are the instructions: 

(0) Quit Evernote.

(1) Download Symboliclinker

and follow the instructions to install it to your OS X System.

(2)Open Finder, Go to the place you want to move the evernote folder.
Make a symbolic link in finder, by right click > Services > Make Symbolic Link

(3)At Finder, Go to
/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/xxxxxx/content

The "content" folder is where all your evernote notes data are stored (i upgraded to premium for  2 months ago . and it had became nearly 2 GB for me already :( )
PS.  xxxxxx is your username in mac and your username in Evernote.

Move (or Copy, for an insurance) the "content" folder to the new evernote folder at the another HDD.

(4) Copy the symbolic link you had made in Step (2) , Go back to
/Users/xxxxxx/Library/Application Support/Evernote/accounts/Evernote/xxxxxx/
Paste the symbolic link here, and rename it as "content"

(This makes evernote thinks the data file is still in the SSD , but in fact all data files had been moved to another HDD by the symbolic link)

Viola! 

Hope this helps anyone who had limited HDD space but still want to have a massive Evernote database  :D

10 replies to this idea

FYI, if you download Evernote from the OSX App Store, the data location will be in a much different place. Due to sandboxing requirements, it's now located at:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote

A long discussion about the different locations can be found here.

• Level 5*

FYI, if you download Evernote from the OSX App Store, the data location will be in a much different place. Due to sandboxing requirements, it's now located at:

/Users/USERNAME/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote
A long discussion about the different locations can be found here.

Yes. There are three locations.

[url=http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Something new is happening (for me, at least) in the CoreData folder in the Library. For some reason, my notes are appearing in there as well as Application Support. However, I don't know the relationship between this location and the regular one for the direct download version. I'd be interested to know if the symbolic link solution affects the data there. How much space is CoreData taking up on your drive?

• Level 5*

Yes. There are three locations.

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?cat=23

Grumpy, is this the link you meant to include?

http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=135

Are the two directories in CoreData and App Support symlinked on your system?

Thanks for catching that. I changed the link.

I am not using symbolic links myself, because it would not be convenient for me to use an external drive for Evernote. My understanding of Core Data in OSX is that it reads data from another location on the drive, in this case from the App Support folder, and I do not think it needs to be backed up or linked. However, I could be wrong, and I have not been able to confirm the exact function of Core Data. I think it has been around in the app for a while, but for some reason my Spotlight searches seem to have only recently begun indexing this content instead of the App Store content, so I've become a bit more aware of it.

• Level 5*

After some searching in this forum and also by googling, I finally managed the easiest way of how to change the Evernote data storage folder to an another hard disk drive.     ;) Here are the instructions:

Thanks for sharing, staryume.  This is very helpful.

For more on using Symbolic Links and other tricks to free up space on your Mac SSD, see Slim down your SSD with symbolic links

Archived