(Archived) printing multiple images/notes on one page

annemarieo

Idea

Hello, :unsure: I have searched for the answers to my issue and still cannot solve it. So here I am. I need to be able to print out my notes/ images to place in student files. In order to save both paper space and space in my files I want to put more than one note / image on  a page. I read about merging notes which worked. But it still would print out each image on a separate paper. This particular note consisted of three separate images I had merged. I tried resizing the image through preview but that did not wk either. I have not been able to find where to change settings on my printer which probably would help also. When I open printer the options are there but cannot be altered. I am using OSX 10.8.3. 

thank you all,    

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi - printing multiple images can be a hit and miss process because of their resolution and sizes.  You may get better results printing to another format like PDF.  When you print a PDF file you have additional controls over size which may help get the job done.

• Level 5*

I don't think I have printed a note for a couple years or more now. I've gone paperless, and I prefer to share notebooks with my students rather than paper.

However, if I were going to do it, I would try merging the notes, exporting the resulting note as an .html file (see "export" in the menu), and printing from that if the regular printing method wasn't working.

Ok thank  you both for your ideas. I am getting a little closer to getting there. I think one of my problems is; some of notes I am trying to print are actually pictures of children's wk done on paper a bit larger then letter size. Sense I would like 2-4 notes or pictures  / printed on 1 sheet this seems to confuse my printer. Though I have found out more on how to adjust the printer settings and am practicing with that.  

Gazumped , When you say print to PDF , do you merge the notes first? Even so when I choose PDF in my printers menu it won't let me resize. It will for one note or picture. But if I have merged 2 or more the resizing is grayed out and unavailable.

Grumpy, I would love to be paperless! I am in my personal life at least to the point I know how to. But as for work; my school/district is not so that is why I need these to print out. I hope someday they will be. 

Sorry to ask dumb questions , sense I have found my printer setting adjustments do I still need to export? 

I know evernote is a very useful tool but learning is a pain.

• Level 5*

Ok thank  you both for your ideas. I am getting a little closer to getting there. I think one of my problems is; some of notes I am trying to print are actually pictures of children's wk done on paper a bit larger then letter size. Sense I would like 2-4 notes or pictures  / printed on 1 sheet this seems to confuse my printer. Though I have found out more on how to adjust the printer settings and am practicing with that.  

Gazumped , When you say print to PDF , do you merge the notes first? Even so when I choose PDF in my printers menu it won't let me resize. It will for one note or picture. But if I have merged 2 or more the resizing is grayed out and unavailable.

Grumpy, I would love to be paperless! I am in my personal life at least to the point I know how to. But as for work; my school/district is not so that is why I need these to print out. I hope someday they will be. 

Sorry to ask dumb questions , sense I have found my printer setting adjustments do I still need to export? 

Hi. It sounds like something I have not come across before (as I don't print), but perhaps someone on the forums who deals more with images will be able to jump in and help.

As for going paperless, there are all sorts of situations where it won't work well, especially when this or that bureaucracy absolutely must have paper. You may have to be flexible on occasion, but one thing you can do is scan everything anyways! The nice thing is that you will be able to work with all of the materials without having to go to your office and go through the file cabinets to find things. Just store the paper they make you handle, and work with the digital copies you have.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  Printing to PDF is useful (for me) for occasional cases where images are especially difficult - if you then have a PDF editor you can play around with the layout,  and printing from PDF allows you to choose various extra options. 

Do you have access to any sort of page layout ("desktop printing") software?  If you can export your images to another app,  you should be able to place them on a page and resize them as necessary.

The other option may be photo library software - I use Picasa - which will include options to 'collage' pictures and otherwise lay them out in albums;  again you should be able to  print from there...

I think Evernote is ideal for retaining the images linked to a student's history,  but producing the output may require some third-party software!

Thank you both for your input and your input and patience. I have come to realize that a new updated printer may help solve some of my issues. Any recommendations?? Trying to find then most cost efficient . No need for fax but need copier and scanner. I do have a mac iMac , IPad and iPhone and of course iPhoto. I am hoping an updated printer will help all of these work together to help me print efficiently through evernote.

Gazumped, I am hoping my PDF printing will be easier to use and more flexible with an updated printer. I don"t want to have to spend too much time editing. I am using my evernote notes to record my conference notes and my DRDPs (assessments). Things are beginning to be more efficient but I am still discovering this great app. I would like to get a printer that would allow me to send stuff to it from school. i think there are apps that do that. Though I hope it does not take access to a network as I do not have one at school.

Hope this makes sense. Operating on 3 days of very little sleep.

Anne

• Level 5*

I recently moved to the modestly titled Epson Perfection XP-600 (there are -300 and -400 models too) which scans, copies, prints (2-sided to save paper) and connects by wi-fi so goodbye cables.  The ink costs are eye-watering,  but the quality is amazing,  and there are a pleasing number of gadgets and gimmicks built in.  I'd suggest though that you look around somewhere local for the best deals going - stick to Epson or HP or any other names you recognise and you shouldn't go far wrong.  

The advantage of a local deal is that if it doesn't work you can go get some face to face advice without having to phone someone or wait on postage to and from a repair centre..

Yes good idea to buy local. Thought I would hit Costco Saturday and see what they are offering . I have a Canon now but am not partial to them. Have you ever tried buying the ink from one of the off brand co to save $$.? Do you find yourself using the scanner a lot?. I am trying to decide If I would need a bigger scanner. I scan my students artwork which is usually bigger than 8x11. Of is using my call phone good enough.?

• Level 5*

I have another scanner (Fujitsu S1500) which has a sheet feeder for lots of A4 (or smaller) pages,  and scans double-sided with the snazzy trick that using a special perspex carrier I can scan A3 folded in half and have both scans stitched together back to A3.  Scanners bigger than A4 tend to be expensive (the S1500 isn't cheap either) so I also take pictures of larger items with a 12MP DSLR for best quality,  and my cellphone for the convenience and laze factor.  I scan daily,  but the S1500 gets most use.

If you want to routinely scan bigger pictures,  I'd recommend building a DIY scan stand so you can throw your camera / cellphone into a rig that will hold it steady and square,  and has some good lights that will make exposure quick and easy.  Some (non-reflective) glass to hold things flat is also good!

Well just bought a printer yesterday. After hitting a few stores I decided on the HP Officejet Pro 8600. We went to Costco first. They had nothing that appealed to me. next we hit Best Buy. There I spotted it on sale for about $70 off . But at the time I was not sure so we went to grab a bite to eat and I looked at the reviews. My husband does not like Best Buy so he didn't feel right about me buying a printer from them . Luckily we went to Office Depot next and they had the same one. Plus they honered Best Buys price! I set it all up ibut have not used it yet. Need to read the manual and learn how to use eprint and so forth. Unfortunately I came down with a bad cold this weekend and my head is spinning.

I am hardly that handy Guzumped, and my husband is working long hours lately. If I do get him to do something around here it won't be to build a scan stand. . I am praying this printer does what I need it to. Can't wait to try it out. Will let you know.

I have started a similar thread with no replies, but I am in the same position as you. I'm also a teacher with student work as images! The best I have been able to do is annoying but will work: 

1. Secondary Click on the image you want to print and open it in Preview

2. Do the same for all the images you want to print. You will have a bunch of preview windows open now. 

3. Pick one of the images you have open in Preview, go to the View menu and choose Thumbnails. 

4. Repeat step 3 on another image and drag the little thumbnail on the left side in to the thumbnail tray on the original image. 

5. Do this for every single image open so you'll have 1 image in preview with all the other image thumbnails in it. 

6. Print this out. 

I usually want to keep the PDF as one document so I don't have to repeat all this nonsense.  

Also, sometimes I need to email this to someone and I know they will be printing it, so I need it as an 8.5x11 PDF 

Fortunately, this is easy to do from the print menu.  Just hit print, and then from the pop up menu, choose PDF at the bottom left.  There should be a PDF to Evernote option, but if there isn't, you can mail PDF to whoever you need as well as to Evernote. 

Hope that helps a little!! 

ALSO - when I need to combine multiple images on to one piece of paper, I just use Apple's Pages in Page Layout Mode. Just drag 'em all in there. 

If anyone knows a better way to do this - PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! 

- Bret 

Bret, Thank you I will try your idea when the time comes again.. I actually begin the year with my new class on Tomorrow. Believe it or not (If you are familiar with large government school districts ,it will not) In the end they didn't even want all the evidence in the files! After all they put us through this past year this is so hard to deal with. I will save evidence to evernote and be extra picky about what I print. Having the evidence at hand did help me fill out the forms . Perhaps I will scan instead and save copies to access later. I am also going to order " evernote for dummies from amazon.

Archived