Problems with Greek characters in notes titles since last Android update

Maria Sp.

Idea

Hello everyone,

Since the last update of Evernote Premium for Android (to v. 5.0.3 last week), I've had a problem with the Greek characters in the titles of the notes. In Greek, some vowels can be "stressed: with symbols placed over them (like in German with umlaut dots or in Spanish with the accent marks). Examples: ά, ό, ώ, έ.

After I did the latest update of Evernote, I cannot search my notes (in the titles), because the words appear in half! Example: "πρ?γραμμα οικογ?ενειας το Π?σχα" (vowels with accents have been automatically replaced by latin questionmarks!!).

Is there a fix for this? 

I have more than 1150 notes and I cannot afford to not be able to search the one I need!

Thank you for the immediate help!

21 replies to this idea

Dimitris D., that's actually true. It seems it's an issue with the fonts used in Evernote. The title in list view uses different fonts than the snippet view.

I'd like to add that this problem exists in Evernote Food, as well. Also another issue is that the letter 'φ' is not displayed at all in the body of the note.

Hello Yiannis and Alex!

I dare say I have "some" "news"; that there is no news yet as to a solution to our problem! In the past few weeks, I have been engaged with a correspondence with evernote support. They suggested that I download and install a pre-release version - no luck. Then, they told me to uninstall and re-install the app - again no luck (not to mention the fact that my HTC "caught fire" because it had to download again all notes (almost 2G!). Then, I sent them the error log and they filed (again) a support ticket. Last piece of news from the evernote team was last week when they wrote to me that they "have filed a bug report with our engineering team for further review" and will let me know "as soon as they have more information".

So, this back-and-forth of emails has resulted in nothing so far.

I'm a very frustrated Premium user (and evernote user since 2009!)...!!!

At least it is an update :)

Could we maybe join in the bug report and provide some extra information and add our voices? Do you have a reference number or something?

Thanks for the info Maria.

Even though I want to use this promising app, this bug is very frustrating. I use also english as default language on my nexus7, but I am forced to use Greek for my Greek students's interactions.

Also I bought livescribe as well, but it stays there useless.

Please fix this error.

Bad news. Since the last program upgrade, we lost the option to view the notes "as list view" and we only have the option to view them as "snippets", so the problem is there all the time and we lost our only workaround.

The Evernote team managed to make it worst. Very disapointed...

It seems that the evernote note titles in my phone (moto g, android 4.4.4) are displaying OK when i change the phone language to greek.

When i change the language to english (which i prefer) the greek note titles in evernote do not display the accent marks correctly.

I guess they use the system font for some reason ?

That is true, a year pasted, the application updated many times but the problem is still here.

It is very strange that a font problem is so hard to fix, so i came to conclusion that noone cares for Greek speaking users.

Also i hope that the Evernote team understands that this problem is a deal breaker for someone that would like to buy the app.

The use of it is limited not only for viewing but also for searching notes.

Dimitris D., that's actually true. It seems it's an issue with the fonts used in Evernote. The title in list view uses different fonts than the snippet view.

I'd like to add that this problem exists in Evernote Food, as well. Also another issue is that the letter 'φ' is not displayed at all in the body of the note.

Hello Yiannis and Alex!

I dare say I have "some" "news"; that there is no news yet as to a solution to our problem! In the past few weeks, I have been engaged with a correspondence with evernote support. They suggested that I download and install a pre-release version - no luck. Then, they told me to uninstall and re-install the app - again no luck (not to mention the fact that my HTC "caught fire" because it had to download again all notes (almost 2G!). Then, I sent them the error log and they filed (again) a support ticket. Last piece of news from the evernote team was last week when they wrote to me that they "have filed a bug report with our engineering team for further review" and will let me know "as soon as they have more information".

At least it is an update :)

Could we maybe join in the bug report and provide some extra information and add our voices? Do you have a reference number or something?

Thanks for the info Maria.

I don't know if you can join in the same support ticket, but you could try. It's #58061. Maybe you can send your own error logs and mention in the email the ticket number they have given to me...

Same problem here...

The problem is at the title of a note but for a strange reason if you list your notes as "snippets" then the problem is there but if you select "view as list view" then suddenly the tittles of the notes looks perfect without any problem, if you open a note from the list then the problem to the title comes back.

I hope for a quick solution.

You're right!! At least we can manage now, until a solution is given...

Same problem here...

The problem is at the title of a note but for a strange reason if you list your notes as "snippets" then the problem is there but if you select "view as list view" then suddenly the tittles of the notes looks perfect without any problem, if you open a note from the list then the problem to the title comes back.

I hope for a quick solution.

Hello Yiannis and Alex!

Come on evernote, it can't be that difficult. Same problem here: accented characters are not displayed correctly in note titles. In different evernote updates they are displayed either as "?" or not at all. I have had it on a Nexus S and a brand new Nexus 4, both running android 4.2.2. Please help. 

Thanks for the feedback Maria. 

We will have a look at that shortly. 

Hello! Two moths later... Are there any news on this issue? Are you preparing an update? Today's update solved a problem with Japanese fonts; when are Greek fonts to be solved? Please give me an update on this! I'm a Premium user and I need to be able to use Evernote on my phone!!! Thank you!

Archived