indicate clipped pages

André

Idea

hi, it would be very useful to indicate pages that have already been clipped. show a little tag on the WebClipper icon, for example.

this could be achieved by comparing the current page URL with source URLs of existing notes. if it's there, let me know, so i don't need to clip it again. or i can update the note to current content.

btw. Pocket does this and it's been very useful (for as long as i used Pocket... ;-) ).

comments are welcome

cheers

5 replies to this idea

hmm, nobody?

Also, Clearly tells you when a page has been clipped, but the next time you go there the Evernote icon is gone. It would help to remind users that they already clipped an article ;-)

thanks

André

hmm, nobody?

Also, Clearly tells you when a page has been clipped, but the next time you go there the Evernote icon is gone. It would help to remind users that they already clipped an article ;-)

thanks

André

I would like to know about this also. I find it hard to believe that such a useful (and basic) function is not incorporated into the Clipper. I too use Pocket (and it's previous incarnation Read It Later) as well as Diigo (previously FURL) and both use a bold RED color change of their browser icon/button to indicate when the page has been saved.

Obviously for users of the free account (especially those of us with short-term memory issues) this would allow us to avoid mistakenly/unnecessarily adding to our Upload Allowance (as would an indicator of page size.. which is easy to check in Firefox, though not quite as easy in Chrome. But I digress..).

Honestly, the lack of this feature bugs me every time I use the web clipper, and that plus a couple of other issues have an effect every time the reminder/prompt appears about upgrading to a paid account.

A reply from Evernote would be very helpful here. It's been 9 months since André's original post!

I've replied in various threads but not this one. Doing a reliable indicator if a page that you visit has been clipped requires a very expensive server call for each page that you load in your browser. Irreverent if you use the Clipper on it or not. As of yet we haven't found a way to do this reliably and 'affordable' in terms of server calls.

I agree that the feature makes a lot of sense and we are considering our options.

I've replied in various threads but not this one. Doing a reliable indicator if a page that you visit has been clipped requires a very expensive server call for each page that you load in your browser. Irreverent if you use the Clipper on it or not. As of yet we haven't found a way to do this reliably and 'affordable' in terms of server calls.

I agree that the feature makes a lot of sense and we are considering our options.

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope you do find a way, even if it's only as a 'paid' feature, but I do have to wonder how Diigo and Pocket do this (on their free service)..

Thanks for answering. I understand that it costs resources, but also wonder how Pocket does it without much apparent effort. Hope you can find a way. It would be very helpful. For example, it happens to me that I clip the same page twice, because I don't remember that I clipped it already - then I see it appear under related notes...

Just a thought: there's an autocomplete function in most browsers (I use Firefox) that scans your whole history of visited links. This works very fast. Maybe adding a list of all note links (i.e. the URLs associated with a note) to the webclipper could allow the browser to quickly scan the list and add the indication if found. This works on the client side, so no resource cost for you. The list would also not be tooooo long, as the number of notes is limited, I guess. Would this work?

An indication could look like the Evernote icon with a check mark as it is used in the outdated Firefox Clearly add-on.

hth

André

Archived