(Archived) Merge order on mac

h4nn4h

Idea

Hello everyone,

I use evernote on windows (at work) and on a mac (at home). I've been scanning magazine articles, and they are imported as separate notes (by the doxie software). When I merge them on the mac, I find it impossible to predict the merge order. On windows the first clicked note is always on top in the merged note, but on the mac it's not predictable at all (in fact, it nearly always seems to be the opposite order of what I want, but that might just be pessimism). I like the idea of having everything in Evernote, but this small shortcoming in the software makes that a pretty frustrating experience (I have to use the web client, or wait until I'm at work, to do this simple task).

I've done some research on this forum, and some people have claimed that the mac notes merge in the order they are listed. But this doesn't seem to be true (anymore? I have the newest version of evernote). So my question is, are there any plans to implement click order merging on the mac? If not, or in the mean time, is there any workaround that can currently be used?

Hope someone can help!

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

I don't use a doxie or a mac,  so you can see I'm well qualified to answer this (!) but doesn't the scanner offer you an option to scan pages of a single document?  It would be far more convenient to have all your scans of one article (in the right order) in one file so you could page through them easily.  As separate scans,  you either have to merge notes and get multiple files of single pages or drag each page to the desktop and merge all the PDF files.

If you find the single-page route works for you (and especially if you can't change it!) how about leaving the notes as they are and retitling the notes?  If you searched for a term and got "006 practical electronics - march 2013" you could then search for "practical electronics" and "march" to get all the pages...

So just add 001 etc for page numbers and sort the notes by title.

Hello everyone,

I use evernote on windows (at work) and on a mac (at home). I've been scanning magazine articles, and they are imported as separate notes (by the doxie software). When I merge them on the mac, I find it impossible to predict the merge order. On windows the first clicked note is always on top in the merged note, but on the mac it's not predictable at all (in fact, it nearly always seems to be the opposite order of what I want, but that might just be pessimism). I like the idea of having everything in Evernote, but this small shortcoming in the software makes that a pretty frustrating experience (I have to use the web client, or wait until I'm at work, to do this simple task).

I've done some research on this forum, and some people have claimed that the mac notes merge in the order they are listed. But this doesn't seem to be true (anymore? I have the newest version of evernote). So my question is, are there any plans to implement click order merging on the mac? If not, or in the mean time, is there any workaround that can currently be used?

Hope someone can help!

The Mac client does indeed still merge the notes the way they are listed (on 5.0.7). It is a feature I rely on every day. To be sure, I just tested in all the different kind of views and had no problems. You may want to contact support, if your notes merges randomly.

The click ordering have been requested a number of times already, whether the developers' plan to implement it though is something we won't know until it's there. It could appear that feature parity between Windows and Mac clients are not a priority anymore, so I would not get my hopes too high.

Archived