Using Evernote with Google Maps on iOS for travel

I travel once or twice a month, for both business and recreation, and I have found EN to be very helpful for organizing plane tickets, rental cars, motel conformation, etc.   I know there are other tools like tripit for doing this but it seems like overkill and EN fits my needs.  The one thing I would like to be able to do is to keep links, bookmarks, or something similar for Google Maps.  I use my iPhone as a GPS and Google Maps works very well but as far as pre-planning with Google Maps it is not very good.  You can mark favorite places but there is no way to organzie them so if you are planning several trips at one time the favorites all run togeather.

Does anyone have a system for using EN along with Google Maps to plan trips?  I would just like to have a simple note that would link to things like the airport, rental car location, hotel, etc.

• Level 5*

Windows and Android Maps clients have the option to 'create' a map in My Maps - or - you can search for a given location,  so could save the search string in Evernote to cut and paste into Maps.  Seems to me you should be able to save an overview map with links below it to points of interest (which could be either web map search links or site URLs).  You can also set location for individual notes,  so could have a note for each location with local information and attractions.  Locations are searchable (in Evernote) and in the Android client you can get a map view of notes with locations nearby.

Haven't tried any of this,  but some combination might be useful for your purpose?

I usually collect the following for a trip into separate notes as the confirmations arrive in email or from the web:

Airline e-tickets

Rental car reservation

Hotel reservation

Customer or contact address for where I am going

I format the title of the notes like this

2013.05.05.14:40-17:25 LH 1804 Munich - Madrid Booking ref XXXXX

2013.05.05.17:30 AVIS confirmation code XXXXX

2013.05.05.18:00 Hotel Nisequenisedonde confirmation XXXXX

2013.05.06 Meeting with my favourite customer

2013.05.06.19:00 Dinner at XXXXX with YYYYY

2013.05.07.12:10-14:45 LH1801 Madrid-Munich

The reason for the date/time format (yyyy.mm.dd.HH:mm) is so that they sort in chronological order when sorted by title. The times for the rental car are just estimates and keep the notes in the right order. Electronic boarding passes go in the same note as the e-tickets. Keeping the confirmation codes in the title means I don't usually have to open the note. The return flight note usually contains an Evernote link to the first flight that contains all the details.

I also tag these notes as "-Fixed Date" so I can view in list mode only those notes that have this specially formatted title. When the date has passed and I don't need them handy anymore, I remove the "-Fixed Date" tag.

Where needed, usually in the note with the hotel reservation, I put the address of where I am going into Google Maps and make a small-medium screenshot of the area with the address marked. More than one if it is complicated.

Now, here is the trick: In Google maps, select the "more" button just under the address, and select "send". The blue text is a link to Google maps that you can copy with right click. Then, select the map image you pasted into Evernote and type ctrl-k, ctrl-v to add the maps link to the image. Then you can open Google maps with the right address right from the note.

These "Fixed Date" notes are in a saved search so I can get to them quickly - the reason for preceding it with a hyphen is so it sorts to the top of the saved searches.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

GoLater v1.0.7 starts to support Google Maps at in-app purchases.  You can collect all the places, including reserved hotel, car rental pick up place, train station, airport, you would like to go into Evernote, and open GoLater, see what you collected on iPhone, and tap driving/walking/public transit/street view, then GoLater will open Google Maps and navigate.  The following two videos will give you some idea of how to utilize Evernote' notes to create to-go maps and navigate with Google Maps.

Video1: GoLater Introduction

Video 2: GoLater support Google Maps

• 6 months later...

I travel once or twice a month, for both business and recreation, and I have found EN to be very helpful for organizing plane tickets, rental cars, motel conformation, etc.   I know there are other tools like tripit for doing this but it seems like overkill and EN fits my needs.  The one thing I would like to be able to do is to keep links, bookmarks, or something similar for Google Maps.  I use my iPhone as a GPS and Google Maps works very well but as far as pre-planning with Google Maps it is not very good.  You can mark favorite places but there is no way to organzie them so if you are planning several trips at one time the favorites all run togeather.

Does anyone have a system for using EN along with Google Maps to plan trips?  I would just like to have a simple note that would link to things like the airport, rental car location, hotel, etc.

Hey blackcows,

We are thinking about this as a use case for our third-party iOS app called IdeaPlaces. It allows you to create places on a map and add notes to them. When you are on your trip you can then look at the place you are heading and pull up anything you add to the note.

We have a few users doing this now and would love to see if there is a way to improve it for your use case. One other thing we will be working on to make it better for your use case is an offline mode so that you don't need to have internet on your mobile phone to access these notes.

Anyone please feel free to email us at signup@ideaplaces.com and we would love to give you access and take in any feedback at all.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Evernote Power user & creator of IdeaPlaces: A new way to explore and use Evernote

iOS app discussion & beta: https://discussion.e...d-use-evernote/

• 8 months later...

At IdeaPlaces we've release a new version that we think is great for travellers.

It offers the option to have Google Maps, Offline and Evernote offline part of the IdeaPlaces Plus package.

Here is what our users are saying:

- I'm really enjoying the IdeaPlaces ipad app for vacation and travel planning - clipping travel information into Evernote and then being able to see it on a map helps enormously with route planning and there is currently nothing else on the App Store with this ability. - Anne B.

- IdeaPlaces is turning into the ultimate map and location aggregator. Probably the most practical and useful complimentary app for Evernote I have used. - Dan C.

Ciprian.

Founder of IdeaPlaces

Archived