(Archived) Immediate sync when opening?

12jas0

I think this applies to both Mac and Windows versions of the desktop software - but why or how can I have Evernote sync immediately upon opening the application?

I use a lot of different computers and will forget to manually F9 which leads to note conflicts once Evernote does auto sync.  For me, if EN sync'd immediately upon opening the application, this would be avoided.

Is there a downside to having EN sync immediately upon opening?  Or at least provide a user option to enable/disable this function?

Interesting request.

As it happens I really would not want to 'automatically' have Evernote sync on turning on. If I am on the road and turn on my iPad, I don't want it to sync which will take time and slow my mi-fi modem connection.

I am not aware if it can be done, but we shall see if anyone else thinks this is a good idea to have it as a possible function. For me it does not seem as though it is worth it, but that is only my thoughts. I also use multiple computers and have them set to sync at 30 minute intervals. I make sure a computer has been synced before turning it off. If I am on the road, I also make sure I have synced a laptop/ipad/android phone before leaving to make sure I have up to date information.

When I arrive in the office I turn on all computers, make sure Evernote is running then carry out a few tasks in the office. Which means a sync will of happened with all the computers by the time we start working on them.

Best regards

Chris

Fair points, hence why I would be happy if syncing when opening were an user option alongside syncing when exiting.  I can see how different workflows would not like this designed in by default.

I do have a question about your iPad example, though.  If you are on the road, open EN and start editing a note on the road (without syncing), don't you run into the same risk of having conflicts?  Or, do you just start a new note thus avoiding the issue altogether?

I have the same challenge - and worse.  I use EN from several different devices.  If I update a note from my iPod Touch, for example, then open that same note the next day from my workstation, it doesn't have the most recent version of the note - it has the most recent version accessed by the device.  If I start making changes to the note, then sync it manually (or automatically), I lose all of the changes that I just made.  I wish EN worked like Dropbox - automatically sync everywhere BEFORE you access the document.  This is one of the biggest negatives I have about EN.

As it happens I really would not want to 'automatically' have Evernote sync on turning on. If I am on the road and turn on my iPad, I don't want it to sync which will take time and slow my mi-fi modem connection.

As a side note, since this is posted in the Windows section, while I agree about the iOS not doing immediate sync, IMO,  it's rather a non-issue in this thread.  ;)

Fair points, hence why I would be happy if syncing when opening were an user option alongside syncing when exiting.  I can see how different workflows would not like this designed in by default.

I do have a question about your iPad example, though.  If you are on the road, open EN and start editing a note on the road (without syncing), don't you run into the same risk of having conflicts?  Or, do you just start a new note thus avoiding the issue altogether?

I make sure that when I shut a computer down - whatever platform - it has been synced before turning off.

If, as mentioned I am going on the road, I sync my mobile devices before I leave home/office.

BnF, that fact that I mentioned the iPad is only because that is what I use, if I used a Windows based tablet it would be exactly the same. I would not want the 'device' to sync when I turned it on when on the road. This includes my android phone.

For me it is important to keep the workflow of syncing before turning off and syncing before going on the road. It is no different to the way I worked before Evernote. I would make sure I had all my up to date notes printed and in a folder. These would contain maps, details of people and phone number along with any relevant data regarding the meeting. When I come back to the office these documents would be added to the 'order' or relevant customer file. I am therefore doing exactly the same by ensuring I have synced my 'devices' before leaving.

Best regards

Chris

C6REW, I agree that syncing every time when leaving one device is good workflow practice.  However, it does not address the issue that when I pull that note up on another device, I'm looking at an old version of the note until I do a manual sync.

spg SCOTT, that seems to work!  Thanks.  That will be very helpful.  The only problem I forsee now is that it seems that every time there is a new version of Evernote and I'm prompted to download and install it, my pinned Evernote icon in my taskbar goes away and I have to re-pin.  I wonder if I'll have to add this parameter every time I install a new version of Evernote.  We'll see!  Thanks again.

Welcome to the forum :)

This is possible with the Windows client:

http://dev.evernote.com/documentation/local/chapters/windows.php#evernote

Running Evernote.exe with the parameter of /Task:SyncDatabase will open it and sync.

Scott

Thank you, that half solves but doesn't help the Mac OS client.  I agree with one of the other posters, who probably summarized it best, my expectations are for it to be like Dropbox so that when I open EN (everything starts to sync) so I don't have to either manually sync or deal with resolving conflicts.

It doesn't need to be hard coded functionality, a simple option to enable/disable would solve my issue across both Mac and Windows and still preserve workflow for users who would not like to sync upon open.

• Level 5*

Thank you, that half solves but doesn't help the Mac OS client.

The WIndows client and the Mac client are two different beasts. There is no single solution that works across platforms.

Archived