How to get the shared notebook feature to work?

Seen

I am working on an emagazine designing and publishing project with a client who is in another country. Basically what I need is something like an FTP server where I can receive high resolution photos from my client. I am living in China and China has blocked sites like Dropbox and other web storage sites. EN isn't blocked and according to EN:  "Evernote Premium users can allow others to edit their notes". So I went ahead and upgraded to a premium account. I have found (after much googling) how to use the shared notebook feature but EN isn't as user friendly as I thought it would be:

1. I have shared a notebook with myself - premium account on my company email address and free version on my personal email account just to test it out. After inviting myself to a shared notebook, I seem to only able to open the notebook using EN Web - the shared notebook didn't show up after I logged in and synced in my free account. The web version is extremely unfriendly and seem to lack a lot of features. Or am I doing something wrong here?

2. After much clicking about I finally found a way to create a new note in my free account within the shared notebook. However, I can't seem to add pictures in the notes. Only the texts show up.

So... my question is, is EN even capable of fulfilling my requirement apart from giving my client the password to my premium account? EN support is rubbish and hasn't replied to my ticket for days now.

Thanks in advance!

-S

Hi Seen and welcome to the forum,

You don't start out well by saying that EN support is rubbish!

But lets see what we can get out of what you have stated.

So you have created a shared Notebook in your premium account. 

Hopefully when you invited your free account by email you gave yourself the ability to make changes and add Notes?

Having done the above correctly you should now be able to view and change Notes in the shared Notebook in your free account.

This includes adding a photo, but remember you won't be able to add a high quality image as you are restricted on the maximum size of a Note:

What types of files can be attached to notes?

Both free and Premium subscribers can attach any type of file to a note. The only limitation is that attached files cannot increase the size of a note beyond the per-note size limit- 25 megabytes (MB) for free users and 100 megabytes (MB) for Premium users.

I am going to assume that your images are very likely much bigger than this which is probably where your problems lie.

In which case I am not sure if Evernote is the solution you need.

As well as Dropbox I am aware of:

https://mega.co.nz/#about

http://www.mediafire.com/

Not sure if you can use them in China?

Let us know if I have got it wrong or you have any additional information that you can give us.

Best regards

Chris

Hi C6REW.

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty frustrated when EN didn't work as per my understanding of what it says it can provide with a premium account in the website, ie, collaboration with other people, enabling them to add and edit notes with the shared notebook function. And after emailing support since Friday morning last week, I have yet to get any sort of reply at all. Hence, the comment that EN support is rubbish. But you're right, I should complain about that in another post - it won't help here.

Anyway, I have allowed my free account to modify notes in the share notebook. It worked fine when I uploaded files into the shared folder with my premium account and my free account could download it too. But when my free account created a new note, typed in some text and put in one jpeg file (4MB in size) in the same note, my premium account (after syncing) could only see the text in that newly created note and nothing else. I just tried it again today and it's the same thing. There is no way I am even remotely close to the size limit of either the note or the whole account.

Thanks for the suggesting mediafire and the other cloud storage service sites but unfortunately they are both blocked in China too. EN's limit of 1G upload per month is enough for this project... if only it will work...

Hi Seen,

Going to ask advice on this one for you to see if this is a limitation of a free account even with a shared Notebook, or a fault in which case we need to get a ticket raise.

I or someone else will get back to you.

Best regards

Chris

• Level 5*

Just ran a quick test. I have a premium account, and a second free account that I use for testing. I've shared a notebook from my premium account to my free account, with rights to edit and create notes. Working in my free account with the Windows Evernote client, I was able to add images to an existing note, and create a new note with images in the shared notebook. All changes were synced, and I could see them in the web client, and when I signed back into my premium account in the Windows client, I was also able to see the changes to the existing note and new note.

So this functionality appears to work as it should. May be a problem with your particular setup, in which case the support request is the way to go.

Yup, I would submit a support ticket so we can try to pull a log.  Sharing between Premium and Free accounts should be functioning normally. 

EDIT--I see you mentioned you had submitted a support ticket.  I can't find this via the email tied to your forum account, so I'm going to convert your post to a ticket and see if we can't get you help that way.  Cheers.

• 8 months later...

I have having a similar problem with the difference being I'm trying to share and sync a note, not a notebook. Specifically, I'm trying to share a grocery list note with my wife. I'm a premium member. She's a free member. I shared the grocery list note with her. She can see it, but changes done on either side aren't synced. I've removed the sharing and deleted the note from her account, and then reset up sharing. That didn't fix anything as I hoped it would. It seems clear this should be supported per the following Sharing Notes article on the Developer page: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/sharing.php#Share_Note. This thread isn't the only one on this topic, and the other one also shows no resolution.

This seems like a big deal given EN's marketing of the sharing ability. I'll open a ticket also. Hopefully, this has been fixed, and I just haven't found the resolution yet.

I have having a similar problem with the difference being I'm trying to share and sync a note, not a notebook. Specifically, I'm trying to share a grocery list note with my wife. I'm a premium member. She's a free member. I shared the grocery list note with her. She can see it, but changes done on either side aren't synced. I've removed the sharing and deleted the note from her account, and then reset up sharing. That didn't fix anything as I hoped it would. It seems clear this should be supported per the following Sharing Notes article on the Developer page: http://dev.evernote.com/doc/articles/sharing.php#Share_Note. This thread isn't the only one on this topic, and the other one also shows no resolution.

This seems like a big deal given EN's marketing of the sharing ability. I'll open a ticket also. Hopefully, this has been fixed, and I just haven't found the resolution yet.

First, you need to fully understand how sync'ing works:

It's very simple. The EN servers (IE web client) are the "source of all truths." Any changes made on one device need to be sync'd up to the EN servers before those changes are accessible from the web client or any other device/computer. If you make any changes with the web client, you are changing the EN servers directly, so no sync (up) is involved. Any changes made to the EN servers need to be sync'd down to any other computer/device before they are accessible from that device/computer.

If you create/modify a note on a desktop/laptop & then shut down w/o it getting sync'd to the EN servers, that note will not show up on the web client or be sync'd down to any other devices/computers UNTIL, you then start up the desktop/laptop & have EN running long enough to do an auto sync or you force a sync. The best way around this is to manually sync the laptop/desktop if you're going to be using another computer/device before the next auto sync or are shutting that computer down/hibernating/etc.

I don't know about all mobile clients, but AFAIK, the iPhone client only syncs when you first start the program or make a change/add a note. (It tells you it's sync'ing.) So if you make a change on a desktop but it's not sync'd to the EN servers yet, then start the iPhone client, the desktop changes will not sync down to the iPhone. If you remain in the iPhone client while the desktop sync's the changes up, you would need to manually sync the iPhone client to get the changes down to the iPhone.

Second, does she have internet access when trying to access the notes? 

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/50915-evernote-not-syncing-all-notes/

Third, you may find this thread helpful:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28159-iphone-sync-with-web/

• 9 months later...

I'm happy (I think) to have found this topic. I too am having some troubles with sharing a notebook. 

I am a Premium Member and my wife has the free account. 

I created a notebook and shared with her via the desktop client. She is accessing via the web client through Chrome on a Windows machine. 

Sharing permissions were setup to by inviting her with the sharing functionality in the app and to her email.

Her permissions are set to "Can Edit"

She was able to join the notebook and can see the existing notes.

She cannot edit existing notes within the notebook.

She is able to Create a Note, but then cannot edit that note.

She can delete the notes she has created. 

When I look at my activity in my account, I see the number of "Untitled Notes" that she creates and deletes.

Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated. Thank you. 

• 2 years later...

So here is the issue, I created a notebook and have been trying to share it with my colleague. Now he got the invitation and could access the notebook on the web client of EN but NOT on the desktop client. Now he has synced multiple times and I have tried sending him chat messages too, but on the desktop client he doesn't receive any!

• Level 5*
9 hours ago, Ab1991 said:

So here is the issue, I created a notebook and have been trying to share it with my colleague. Now he got the invitation and could access the notebook on the web client of EN but NOT on the desktop client. Now he has synced multiple times and I have tried sending him chat messages too, but on the desktop client he doesn't receive any!

Sounds like you're connecting from behind a commercial firewall.  Your system may block apps from downloading content.  Is there a company policy?  An IT department you could talk to?

Archived