✔ Shared notes with encrypted text

Raydere

It appears that encrypted text and shared notes are not compatible each other.

Take this example note. The encrypted text icon shows up, as does the passcode hint if any when the icon is hovered over. However, there is no way to decrypt the text whatsoever, making the presence of the icon and its corresponding decryption hint useless.

Would it be possible to incorporate text decrption from a shared note URL in the foreseeable future?

Hi Raydere,

Just tested both on the web and Windows version and it works fine.

Are you making sure you have caps or not as is the case for your password?

Best regards

Chris

What does entering my password have to do with this problem?

I am able to decrypt text in the Evernote web interface and the desktop client just fine. The problem is decrypting text in a shared note that I access by opening the share URL.

HQwersg.png

• Level 5*

Have you been given editing privileges on this shared note,  or is it read only?  (The sharer will have to be a premium user to allow you editing rights)

It's possible that opening the password option counts as 'editing' as far as Evernote is concerned - you might be able to change content once past that check.

What does entering my password have to do with this problem?

I am able to decrypt text in the Evernote web interface and the desktop client just fine. The problem is decrypting text in a shared note that I access by opening the share URL.

HQwersg.png

Everything!

The lock and squares is a password, you need to enter the 'correct' password along with the correct case to open it!

As gazumped has also suggested is this your 'shared' Note or someone else's?

If someone else, have they given you the right to change the Note?

Best regards

Chris

Hi Raydere,

As I mentioned this should not be a problem and works fine.

I shared a password protected Note with another user and they opened it no problem using the password.

The only thing I can think of as mentioned previously is that they are typing out the password with a different case?

I will send you a pm with my email address. Share a Note with password protection with me and then pm me the password and I will let you know what is in the Note if I can open it!

Best regards

Chris

I'm sorry for not making this clear earlier, but the password prompt will not show up. Clicking on the lock icon does nothing. The way the password is typed out doesn't mean anything if I can't even input my password.

In the first place, how do you even decrypt text from the note page?

• Level 5*

I'm confused.  In your original post you mention "hovering over the icon" and seeing the password prompt.  The encrypted text shows up as an icon until you click it,  then you have a small dialogue box to enter the password.  OInce you've clicked again,  the text is revealed.

• Level 5*

Hmmn.  In my case I doubleclick the lock and get a cursor field to type the password.

Are you using the Evernote desktop or the web browser to see this 'shared' note?  If a web browser,  which one? - Might be useful to try a different browser..

Have you been given editing privileges on this shared note,  or is it read only?  (The sharer will have to be a premium user to allow you editing rights)

It's possible that opening the password option counts as 'editing' as far as Evernote is concerned - you might be able to change content once past that check.

Hmmn.  In my case I doubleclick the lock and get a cursor field to type the password.

Are you using the Evernote desktop or the web browser to see this 'shared' note?  If a web browser,  which one? - Might be useful to try a different browser..

I'm using a web browser to view the shared note via this link. Accessing the share link from different browsers doesn't allow me to decrypt the text.

EDIT: Oh, it finally works. I don't know why it wasn't earlier.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have the same problem as OP originally reported in 2013 and kevinhy also reported in 2014. My findings are below.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Create a new note in Evernote desktop for Mac (Windows version may have same issue, but is not available to test).

2. Enter some text, select it, and choose Encrypt Selected Text....

3. Enter a password and hint on the dialog that appears.

4. Click Share and choose Copy Public Link. (Test note)

5. Open the link in a browser which you are not logged into Evernote web (authentication may not matter).

6. Attempt to click or double click the passcode box.

What I expect to happen:

I expect in step 6 that a password prompt would appear when clicking or double clicking to allow entering the password.

What happens instead:

Clicking and double clicking on the passcode box does not do anything.

Browsers Tested:

IE 11 (Windows 8.1)

IE 10 (Windows 8)

IE 9 (Windows 7)

EI 8 (Windows 7)

Firefox 35 (Windows 8.1, OS X Yosemite)

Chrome 39 (Windows 8.1, OS X Yosemite)

Chrome 24 (Windows 7)

• Level 5*

I think we've been slow on the uptake here.  This would be expected behaviour.  This level of encryption is baked into your local copy of Evernote.  There's no support on the server.  So if you share a note publicly and try to open it in a different browser,  by definition it cannot behave normally.  The only way to encrypt text in a shared note is to attach an encrypted document to the note.

Thanks gazumped. That was my suspicion but, if it is the case that it only works in your local copy of Evernote, I feel the feature is half-baked. After all, in a web browser you see the padlock and the password hint. What would anyone expect from that besides being able to click to access whatever is behind the padlock. Also, if it never worked, how did OP say it finally worked? And you even mentioned using a different web browser.

I'm using a web browser to view the shared note via this link. Accessing the share link from different browsers doesn't allow me to decrypt the text.

EDIT: Oh, it finally works. I don't know why it wasn't earlier.

Archived