• Announcements

• Shane D.

Evernote Webinars   12/01/2017

We've recently begun conducting Evernote Webinars for various topics and subjects. Take a look at the Calendar to check them out, and see if they interest you! Keep an eye out as there will be more to come in the future!
    • Shane D.

Evernote 2018 Planning Templates   12/11/2017

The Evernote 2018 Planning Templates are now available! You can find them Here!  
debhammon

mac Where do Evernote files live on my Mac Version 10.8.3

Evernote Version 5.0.7   Mac Version 10.8.3

I am new to EN and somewhat new to Mac.  I have read many posts on backing up Evernote and they all say my files live in the following location.  Here is an example:

On my Mac (OS X 10.7.4) running EN Mac 3.3.0, the path to the Evernote folder is:
/Users/<userID>/Library/Application Support/Evernote

Again, I am not that familiar with Mac.  I go to Finder and see my name there which I click on.  At the bottom of the window it does indeed say 

Macintosh HD>Users>my name

But none of the files listed under my name are Library, though it does show iPhoto Library.  What am I doing wrong?

I have also done searches in Finder for Library, Application Support and .enex with no matches or incorrect matches found.

I am not worried about backing up as long as the documents are on my computer, because I have regularly scheduled TimeMachine backup.  I just want to make sure the documents are on my computer so they can be backed up.  And I want to be able to find them.

Signed Evernote and Mac novice.

Apple hide the Library folder by default.

Open Finder, then hold down the alt/option key and select the Go menu, the Library will appear in the menu.

• Like 2

Thank you Metrodon.  I followed your advice and now can get to Library>Application Support

But I can't find Evernote within Application Support as suggested in the first post.  (By the way, in the interim I have shut down my computer and restarted it to see if it would show up then.  It still didn't)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Evernote and Mac Novice

Thank you Metrodon.  I followed your advice and now can get to Library>Application Support

But I can't find Evernote within Application Support as suggested in the first post.  (By the way, in the interim I have shut down my computer and restarted it to see if it would show up then.  It still didn't)

Evernote and Mac Novice

Hi. Welcome to the forums. 

Your data is stored in one of three locations:

(1) Direct download from Evernote, which I recommend (http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac)

(2) Download from the Apple Appstore

~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote 

(3) Download from the Apple Appstore if you have a Fusion drive

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/ 

• Like 1

(1) Direct download from Evernote

Hi there - This is great to know, thanks. Now i can backup my Notes.  But I just wanted to know about 'Restoring' this data on a new Mac, so that I dont need to download all my notes on a new install of Evernote.

Is it as easy as replacing the new blank com.evernote.Evernote with the old one folder which has all the data?

Tnx... 

HI There,

I am having the same problem. You have mentioned that you can download the application one of three ways and then it will live in an Evernote file in Application Support. I have Evernote downloaded as an application on my computer from the Evernote site, but yet when I look in Application Support - still now Evernote file exists. I want to ensure that my time machine is backing this up, how can I find it and/or why is it no where it should be?

Thanks

HI There,

I am having the same problem. You have mentioned that you can download the application one of three ways and then it will live in an Evernote file in Application Support. I have Evernote downloaded as an application on my computer from the Evernote site, but yet when I look in Application Support - still now Evernote file exists. I want to ensure that my time machine is backing this up, how can I find it and/or why is it no where it should be?

Thanks

Have you checked the three locations I mentioned?

• Direct download from Evernote = user/library/application support/evernote
  • Appstore download from Apple = ~/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote, or
  • Appstore download on Mac with a fusion drive = /Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account//

Oh Okay, I have found it in the second option. So there is no way to see specific files and take those into time machine if a note was accidentally deleted then? you would have to restore all of evernote? is that correct?

Oh Okay, I have found it in the second option. So there is no way to see specific files and take those into time machine if a note was accidentally deleted then? you would have to restore all of evernote? is that correct?

Kind of. If you use Spotlight to locate the file on your computer (named"content" inside a folder with a number) and then look for that number in your Time Machine files, then you could replace an individual file. Otherwise, you'd have to mess with doing the entire database. That "should" not ever be an issue, but I always try to err on the safe side. Presumably, if you are doing hourly TM backups, then it wouldn't be a big deal to swap databases. 

Hi There,

Thanks to this thread, I found my Evernote Files. Thanks!

Now - I downloaded the newest Public Beta (Direct Download) and I ALSO have the App Store version that I use for my Day to Day use of evernote. Do I now have duplicates of every file? Are they stored in both places??? Does anyone know, and should I care ??

Thanks,

I am trying to figure out where my Evernote Data lives so that I can back it up.  

I have two macs. My main machine is an iMac. On that machine, onto which I have a Scansnap scanner attached, when I go to the following, there is only 1K of data: Users/Library/Application Support/Evernote.  This file does not exist on my 2nd mac. By the way, the only folder here is called "quick-note". There are no other folders!

On my other mac (MBA), which is my travel machine and not my main mac, the Evernote file contains 180MB and is the following location: users/library/containers/com.evernote.Evernote>  This mac is not attached to the scanner.

Three questions:

1) Where is my data on the iMac?  

2) Why is it different on my two macs?

3) How do I back it up?  This is critical as I am considering storing important records, articles, and book drafts that I want to maintain for years.

You can determine the location of the current installation by going to Evernote > About Evernote, then hold down OPTION (alt) key to reveal the DB location.

I am trying to figure out where my Evernote Data lives so that I can back it up.  

I have two macs. My main machine is an iMac. On that machine, onto which I have a Scansnap scanner attached, when I go to the following, there is only 1K of data: Users/Library/Application Support/Evernote.  This file does not exist on my 2nd mac. By the way, the only folder here is called "quick-note". There are no other folders!

On my other mac (MBA), which is my travel machine and not my main mac, the Evernote file contains 180MB and is the following location: users/library/containers/com.evernote.Evernote>  This mac is not attached to the scanner.

Three questions:

1) Where is my data on the iMac?  

2) Why is it different on my two macs?

3) How do I back it up?  This is critical as I am considering storing important records, articles, and book drafts that I want to maintain for years.

1) You can determine the location of the current installation by going to Evernote > About Evernote, then hold down OPTION (alt) key to reveal the DB location.

2) Are you using the App Store version on one and the direct download version on the other? Due to special sandboxing requirements for App Store versions they use different database locations.

3) Most important is to backup your local notebooks. The others are on the Evernote server and should be quite safe. To backup local notebooks export the notes as ENEX files. These can be imported later.

However, you will lose some information:

a) The ENEX files contain no information about the notebook. You will have to create the notebook structure at import time again.

B) Note links to other local notes will not work after import

Your best protection is to do your own backups -- do NOT rely on Evernote.

I recommend using a local backup system like Time Machine for EN Mac, for ease of restore, and on online system like CrashPlan for catastrophic protection.

Here is a comprehensive Mac Backup strategy provided by long-time Evernote user/ guru and Forum member GrumpyMonkey (AKA Christopher Mayo).

While export to ENEX files is often referred to as a "backup" for Evernote, I don't consider it a 1st Tier, or primary, backup because it does NOT include all data about your Notes.

You can drag your data folder to the sidebar, but it's not easy to navigate and you would Id guess risk corrupting your notes.

Thanks guys. I can access the location of files, but it's not the same as ie. Dropbox. Same structure as for example your notebooks and stacks and easy drag/drop. Would be a premium feature. Cheers.

@markkostel:

Sorry, I don't see the benefit.  Plus all of the Note metadata is NOT in files, but in a SQLite database.  So direct access to the files would probably lead to trouble.

Not sure what you're looking for.  What I would like to see is a much richer functionality in the Notebook and Tag tree structure in the Left Side Panel.

But I digress -- this is getting off-topic for this thread.

Evernote and Mac Novice

Hi. Welcome to the forums. 

(1) Direct download from Evernote, which I recommend (http://evernote.com/evernote/index.php?file=EvernoteMac)

(3) Download from the Apple Appstore if you have a Fusion drive

/Library/Containers/com.evernote.Evernote/Data/Library/Application Support/Evernote/account/<your username>/ 

I swear I think Apple or Evernote or both change this once in a while. This folder doesn't exist on my ("the") new MacBook with whatever it shipped with - Yosemite?. I get to Account but there is no username there. I finally gave up looking for it and am just looking at the properties of the Account folder for total size. Just monitoring the download progress. 1GB down, 19GB or so to go.

I've never owned an OSX machine. I like ti so far, but darn, I really want to install Windows Explorer on there right now.  :D