(Archived) Auto-Filing?

• Level 5*

If you check the settings in your account at evernote.com, you'll find a checkbox there for "auto-filing," with the description: "Automatically file and tag notes sent in via email."

Is this new? I think so. What does it do? I don't know, but it sounds promising. So far, I haven't managed to get any automatic tags generated, though.

Maybe this is actually an old feature, and it refers to the automatic suggestions that come up now when you try to use the web clipper. However, that wouldn't explain the "email"...

• Level 5*

Checking this option enables the same "smart filing" functionality as the web clippers use - i.e. it uses the Related Notes capability to automatically set a Notebook and/or Tags on incoming emails.

• Level 5*

Thanks. I haven't yet been able to get anything smart filed, though. If I email a note into Evernote that contains the exact same content as another one, then shouldn't it smart tag it? I will try a bit more experimenting. 

• 1 month later...

Hey GM! So funny - I just found this myself. I always email to Evernote, but tonight was the first time that I actually received this email. I clicked it so I'm curious to see what happens. Have you had any luck with it since April? Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hey GM! So funny - I just found this myself. I always email to Evernote, but tonight was the first time that I actually received this email. I clicked it so I'm curious to see what happens. Have you had any luck with it since April? Thanks!

I turned it off, because I was worried about things getting misfiled. I don't understand how it works, and haven't seen a clear explanation for it yet, so I don't think I'll use it. Until I know the parameters (could this send something private into a joined notebook? a shared one?), I feel uncomfortable letting something make this kind of a decision for me. I think it is potentially very exciting, though.

GM - Well, not sure how perfect this really is just yet. I'm turning off the setting because I sent three completely different notes to Evernote just now and they all ended up inside my expense tracker notebook. Hmmm...

• Level 5*

GM - Well, not sure how perfect this really is just yet. I'm turning off the setting because I sent three completely different notes to Evernote just now and they all ended up inside my expense tracker notebook. Hmmm...

Yeah. I wasn't having any luck with it earlier. I am guessing that they are still working through things on the back-end. The problem is that we don't have any fine-grained control. It is only on/off. If we could say auto-file for every note with X, Y, Z characteristics, then that would be great. Again, this goes back to the occasional requests for rules. Rules are a pain, and probably confuse a lot of users, but having them can be quite magical, as anyone who has played around with IFTTT knows.

• 4 months later...
Smart filing sounds promising, and could potentially be a cool feature. I see it has been requested:

But I came here looking for a solution to simply tag all incoming emails. I know that I can modify the subject line of an email to include tags and notebooks (explained in blog post here: 

That works well for newly created email. But forwarding in Gmail requires a few extra clicks to modify the subject (not easy to do quickly, or on a phone). I'd like to just tag all incoming mail with the same tag to easily see what was mailed in. 

But I'd like to just auto-tag every incoming email. It doesn't appear that is possible. Is that something that could be implemented as a stop-gap before full filtering or auto-/smart-filing is done?

I suppose a workaround would be to email all notes to a separate Notebook just for this. But that's not what I'm looking for. A saved search on "subject:Fwd*" also works OK.

Curious if anyone else has this need, or found a better solution.

Thanks.

Archived