Customize Recent Notes sidebar

C. Daniel

Idea

26 replies to this idea

I could not agree more. I really need to be able to make some slight customizations to the recent notes area. This would mean a lot to my workflow.... please consider adding these tweaks in a future upgrade. 

Paul

• Level 5*
On 12/05/2017 at 7:15 PM, crehan.don@gmail.com said:

Just change the darn constant in you code from 5 to 10!  And let it role out with the next release.  

There's probably already a long list of things to change for the next release.

• Level 5*

Hi and thanks for the tip - hope you get over the paranoia soon.  If it's any comfort I get email notifications of new posts when they're made,  so it would be impossible for Evernote to delete posts without a trace.  And anyone who's lost data from an account has usually achieved it through bad processes or serious lapses of common sense.  Evernote don't mess with users' data.

PS - yep,  user-options to show/ not show recent notes and choose the number,  would be good.

I recently gained more screen space, and now there's a huge blank area at the bottom of my sidebar. My first thought to use that space was to increase the number of recent notes displayed, because that's something I've been limited by for a while. I was sure I'd reduced it to 5 in the past, to fit my smaller screen, but I guess I must not have.

So, I agree. I think everyone who's ever used modern software is surprised to discover that the number of recent notes isn't adjustable. It's just a basic and expected feature.

Furthermore, this is a simple feature that would take only a short time to implement, and it would increase users' productivity and satisfaction greatly. (The app's obviously got the number 5 somewhere, probably hardcoded or as a constant. I think it would be relatively simple—as software development goes  ;)—to make that a variable and put a setting in the preferences or View menu.)

I already looked in Evernote's preferences file and found no secret setting for this. By the way, the preferences file is somewhat hidden—I had to use a tool to find it, and I won't say where it is for fear of having my post deleted.

Indeed, I'm no longer confident in Evernote's benevolence. Evernote seems to be getting more and more like Spotify, seeing its free service as nothing more than a captive audience to which it can advertise its paid service, not caring if the free users end up hating it instead of paying it. The absence of care for the free users as demonstrated by a) the lack of this simple feature that I expected to already exist, and that people have been asking for for months with no result, and B) constantly asking me if I want to upgrade to Evernote Premium, when I said no just last week, is causing me to consider switching to a different note-keeping app. I certainly won't be upgrading to Evernote Premium unless this changes, because I don't want to pay you when you treat your free users so poorly. (Same with Spotify—they also refuse to implement simple and much-demanded features like reviewing and editing your radio likes and dislikes, so I refuse to upgrade to Spotify Premium.) I realize free users aren't paying and so we have less say in features, but you, Evernote, need to realize that we have complete say in what apps we use. And if I switch to a different note-keeping app, you lose the ability to try to convince me to upgrade to Premium. Do you want that? Or do you want to convince me and everyone who thinks the same but didn't bother to post, through actions, not words, that Evernote is worth sticking with and possibly even paying for?

(And just in case a rogue employee wants to delete my account for pointing out problems, I've made backups of my database.  :))

Given the amount of time that has passed since this thread was first created I'm guessing this probably isn't going to be implemented.

Nevertheless I'd like to add my voice just in case; this would be a very useful feature.

Agree that more than 5 recent notes would be super, super helpful.  I often cannot find notes that I have been working on recently.  If I could customize the sidebar I would display 20 most recent notes and peg it to the top.  I very rarely use the folder hierarchy and often do not think to make a shortcut to a note I create on the fly to write something down.  Then once it is not most recent 5, I have to figure out where it is, what folder it is in, etc.  Usually I just search for it but I find this is not very effective for finding recent notes either for some reason.  Probably user error but I have not looked into it too deeply.

Thanks for the great product!

• Level 5

Another issue, I just realized, is that "Recent Notes" only notes recently made, not notes recently accessed.  I don't find this to be all that functional, either.  And, yes, I am aware of sorting view by content updated.  I just find the Recent Notes menu in the sidebar to be more useful.

Actually, Recent Notes includes not only recently created notes, but also recently modified notes.

Another issue, I just realized, is that "Recent Notes" only notes recently made, not notes recently accessed.  I don't find this to be all that functional, either.  And, yes, I am aware of sorting view by content updated.  I just find the Recent Notes menu in the sidebar to be more useful.

Can't you open up frequently used notes in a separate window, as you can in the Windows client? I do this all the time. Also, you might be able to put the forward/backward note navigation tool to scan back through your recent notes.

Yeah, I can open up the frequently used notes in separate windows, but as a I said, this takes up lots of screen real-estate (with other applications running).  However, I haven't made much use of the forward/backward button.  So, for the interim, I guess I'll give this a try.  Thanks for the input.

• Level 5*

Can't you open up frequently used notes in a separate window, as you can in the Windows client? I do this all the time. Also, you might be able to put the forward/backward note navigation tool to scan back through your recent notes.

This little feature limitation can get in the way of work-flow sometimes. I'm going between several notebooks all the time, making updates and what not, and it's super handy to have the recent notes area with more than 5 recents. If this could be customized, that would be awesome! Like if I wanted 5 or more, all I would have to do is go to preferences and change it up to like 25 or so... Just giving the end user the ability to customize to how they want is super valuable.

I agree.  I'd definitely like to have this option as well.  Even with a huge display, I often need to work with many notes simultaneously.  The only alternative to opening each note and having them taking up a ton of screen real-estate, is to use the recents in the sidebar, but being stuck with just 5 doesn't offer much flexibility.  It's very convenient to be able to utilize the default recents options within OS X apps, which are:  5, 10, 15, 25, 30, 50.

Please remove this limitation, and give users the power to choose.  Otherwise, we may be stuck choosing another application, instead.  :(

This little feature limitation can get in the way of work-flow sometimes. I'm going between several notebooks all the time, making updates and what not, and it's super handy to have the recent notes area with more than 5 recents. If this could be customized, that would be awesome! Like if I wanted 5 or more, all I would have to do is go to preferences and change it up to like 25 or so... Just giving the end user the ability to customize to how they want is super valuable.

Archived