Evernote using high CPU 25%

Not sure but suddenly evernote is using 25% of my CPU and

it's not synchronizing or anything.   

I uninstalled it completely and reinstalled it and that didnt' do

anything.

I have  windows 7 on a dell laptop that is about 5 months

old.  8 gig ram,  Lots of disk space.  64 bit OS. 

Not sure what's going on. with EN.

• Level 5*

It may just be creating thumbnails, or perhaps some background database maintenance operation, most likely a temporary condition. How long has it been at %25? You might have some clues in your activity log as well.

Instead of killing it I let it run and it's been running for over an hour.

Here is my Activity log:

10:42:29 [11072] 0% Client is up to date with the server, updateCount=19456
10:42:29 [11072] 0% * saved updateCount: 19456
10:42:29 [11072] 0% Session terminated normally, elapsed time: 0s
10:42:29 [11072] 0% * sent: 154B, received: 80B
10:42:29 [11072] 0% * 0s (100%) spent in EDAM RPC

Never notice it doing this before.

• 4 months later...

This problem still exists and it's been a few months later.    Does anyone at Evernote have a solution to this?  Again, 25% sucking up the CPU.   LIke to fix this.  Evernote is a pleasure to use except this annoyance.  

• 7 months later...

I also have EN (Evernote) running on ar Dell Laptop (Inspiron N7010), and EN started spiking every half minute or so from 0 to 25% CPU.  I could hear the hard disk drive revving up each time it happened, it seemed -- actually I wasn't looking at both at the same time, but both activities were initiating at about the same frequency.  While this was going on, I was trying to save some screenshots on EN, but after they appeared in the Notes window, they would half the time disappear, being lost before they were saved by EN.  I also noticed that if I didn't rename them from 'Screenshot', the newest screenshot replaced the previous one, which was not saved.  Or maybe they just weren't being saved at all, which happened anyway to some of them I renamed.  I don't have time now to debug yet another program (seems like that's all I do sometimes...), so I can't give any more detailed description than what I'm giving here, but this may be of some help to someone.  Just before I started typing this, and looking at the Win 7 Task Manager and Resource Monitor, EN stopped spiking, and the disk revving stopped, too,  It had been going on for a little while even though I was doing noting in EN.  Now everything is quiet.  I am going to try saving a screenshot again...

Hmmmm... Everything seems to be working OK now.  I tried clicking on Sync, and again EN spiked momentarily to 25% while it synchronized, then was immediately quiet again.  I noticed while all the spiking was going on previously, that EN was constantly or very frequently syncing -- I wonder if that was causing the spiking and the inability to save the screenshots properly...?

I wonder if when EN is syncing, it downloads its whole Notes database to my local machine -- maybe that was causing all the disk accesses, as EN was catching up for a while, since I hadn't logged onto it from this laptop for a while.

Anyway, it's 4:51 AM here now -- maybe time to get back to work on what I got the computer for in the first place!

David SIlverman

deardavid0@gmail.com

• Level 5*

I wonder if when EN is syncing, it downloads its whole Notes database to my local machine -- maybe that was causing all the disk accesses, as EN was catching up for a while, since I hadn't logged onto it from this laptop for a while.

That would almost certainly be the case.
  • 2 years later...

Seems like this is an old thread, but I'm experiencing this exact issue.  Started about 1 month ago ... EN starts up, and within a couple of minutes, consumes 25% of my CPU.

I've uninstalled and re-installed, and I've disabled the FireFox EN plug-in. Still, 25% CPU usage.  Fan continually runs on my laptop.  If I use Task Manager to stop EN, then my CPU usage returns to normal, and the fan stops. 

I've reviewed the activity log and nothing really stands out. 

Maybe resurrecting this thread isn't correct.  I'm open to start a new thread. 

Archived