List Indent Bug When Decreasing Existing Indent?

ZeteticX

It appears there is a bug having to do with the list indenting. If I create a new bullet list item, I can adjust its indent level to any level I like using the indent buttons or using tab and shift-tab. However, if I try to do this on a list item that was automatically created by pressing enter (for instance, any list item after the first) then I am restricted such that I cannot bring the indent level back any farther than where I started. So...if I am adding items to the third indent level of a bulleted list and I want to go back to the second tier to keep adding items there, I have to make a brand new list item. I cannot simply shift the indent over to the left because as soon as I go past the third indent level (the level of the automatically created bullet from the last time I hit enter) my bullet disappears entirely and I am left with an indented, but not bulleted list item. This bug does not appear to happen with numbered lists. This makes it annoying to make bulleted lists at all and at times I find myself avoiding Evernote merely for the convenience of making lists somewhere that works (which turns out is most any other word processing solution, even google docs or a web based email...).

• Level 5*

It appears there is a bug having to do with the list indenting. If I create a new bullet list item, I can adjust its indent level to any level I like using the indent buttons or using tab and shift-tab. However, if I try to do this on a list item that was automatically created by pressing enter (for instance, any list item after the first) then I am restricted such that I cannot bring the indent level back any farther than where I started. So...if I am adding items to the third indent level of a bulleted list and I want to go back to the second tier to keep adding items there, I have to make a brand new list item. I cannot simply shift the indent over to the left because as soon as I go past the third indent level (the level of the automatically created bullet from the last time I hit enter) my bullet disappears entirely and I am left with an indented, but not bulleted list item. This bug does not appear to happen with numbered lists. This makes it annoying to make bulleted lists at all and at times I find myself avoiding Evernote merely for the convenience of making lists somewhere that works (which turns out is most any other word processing solution, even google docs or a web based email...).

Hi. Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your feedback. Could you tell us which client you are using? I have also encountered the same issue when using the Mac, and have reported it to the proper authorities. It can be rather frustrating, especially if you are in a hurry (as we so often are!) to take notes.

Personally, I prefer to use plain text and Markdown, but Evernote doesn't provide support for viewing Markdown, so your lists may not look quite as nice when viewed in the app. It is a conundrum!

• Level 5*

Thanks for the reply, glad to know I am not alone! I am using the desktop client on Windows 7 (version 4.6.4.8136).

Oh. I didn't know we had an indent issue in the Windows client as well. One workaround is to pre-indent everything (or, if you are using an outline, pre-outline it) in order to avoid any issues. I have a couple of templates for this with several levels of indention.

And what if I want to change the indent level? The issue occurs when I am attempting to change the indent level (to the left) to a position that is "higher" or "left of" the location where it was originally created. Are you able to change the indent on lists created from your template for any item on the list and all the way back to the root indent level?

• Level 5*

And what if I want to change the indent level? The issue occurs when I am attempting to change the indent level (to the left) to a position that is "higher" or "left of" the location where it was originally created. Are you able to change the indent on lists created from your template for any item on the list and all the way back to the root indent level?

That's the purpose of the template. If I need to go back to the root level, I just delete all of the template until my next root level.

- level 1

- level 2

- level 3

- level 1

- level 2

• Level 5*

Sounds like a lot of copy/paste work just to get a list going. I appreciate the tip on a workaround, but I am very interested in whether there will be a fix coming from Evernote.

Thanks!

That's fair. I find it too troublesome myself, and the indent feature doesn't translate well into text notes if you export your stuff into another app, so I just stick to plain text + markdown. 

• 5 months later...

As a daily user of Evernote this has been my #1 problem for a very long time.  I use OSX at home without this problem but at the office I have a computer running Windows 8.  The problem seems to be tied to the Windows platform.

Just installed version 5.0.0.1137 and to my great disappointment found that I could still reproduce this bug.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Yeah +1 on fixing #6358, please (is there a mechanism for voting on tickets?).

I just had a list with 4 levels of indenting. I wanted to take the top, first-level bullet, remove the bullet and bold it as a heading. No problem there.

But of course the hassle is that now I want to outdent all the remaining bullets one level. I'd expect I could highlight them all and hit the outdent button and viola. But when it outdents it loses the bullets, and getting them back requires tedious and time consuming reformatting of the entire list. Outdenting, and then hitting the bullet button doesn't just put them all back, either.

I primarily use the Windows client (5.5.3.4236 as of now). And yes I paid for Premium so I'm not looking for something for nothing.

It's really about time to make this work properly, don't you think? I really like to use Evernote overall, but the formatting glitches are just annoying. Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I'm glad I'm not alone, but disappointed that this has been a known and ticketed bug for so long without, apparently, any resolution.

I encounter this issue every time I use Evernote, it is by far my biggest gripe with the platform, and I find myself increasingly using other text editors just so that I can avoid Evernote's buggy implementation of bulleted lists.

When can we expect a fix?

• 1 month later...

This now appears to be fixed, at least for the Windows client version "5.6.4.4632 (272632) Public".

I'm not sure when they fixed it and I was expecting to receive an email from this forum when an Evernote employee posted to notify us that it was fixed. It doesn't appear that they have that sort of follow-up procedure in place. So, for all you who are following this one, now you know! I am glad to see it fixed, even though it was an easy bugfix as bugfixes go and it took an embarrassingly long time for them to implement it.

I find it disappointing as well that they didn't keep us up to date at all over the past two years. It's as easy as linking this thread to the ticket...so that when the ticket is completed an automated message is posted in the thread. Anyone following the thread gets the email. How hard is that?! I will forever be baffled by the lack of systems minded people at successful companies. Following up is easy and the only reason it isn't done properly by customer service teams is because the system isn't in place to make it happen.

I'm running Windows client 5.8.3.6507 (274507) Public, which is the latest available as of today (2/7/15).

Still easy to break:

In a bulleted list, hit enter at the end of a bulleted item (indented 1 or more levels). Without typing any characters on the new line, hit the outdent button. It outdents but removes the bullet, even though the bullet button on the toolbar is highlighted indicating it still thinks it's bulleted.

From this point on it gets wonky, for example, hit the bullet button to try to add the bullet back in. Well, since it thinks it's already bulleted it removes the bullet and all indenting, resulting in a new plain line. Hit the bullet again, and it restarts the bulleting all over, so if it was indented 2 or more levels you have to start reconstructing the way it was before step by step.

Cutting and pasting bulleted items gets even weirder, but I'm not going to get into describing all that weirdness here now.

So, sorry, definitely not "fixed" as of today. Maybe they've improved some scenarios and fixed some things, but they must not be the things I use...

There is more to the story then, because I am able to do everything you describe now, whereas I could not before. The only exception is cutting and pasting parts of a bulleted list into an existing list, which has always resulted in strange behavior.

I can, for example, highlight the entire multilevel list and use the indent and outdent buttons or shortcut keys (tab, shift-tab) to change the level of the entire thing. It works and the bullets stay. I can do any subset of a multilevel list as well.

• Level 5*

I've seen some glitches every now and again, but generally the cut/paste with respect to bullets and indenting seems more robust, and when things go awry, it seems easier to fix things up than it has in the past.

There is more to the story then, because I am able to do everything you describe now, whereas I could not before. The only exception is cutting and pasting parts of a bulleted list into an existing list, which has always resulted in strange behavior.

I can, for example, highlight the entire multilevel list and use the indent and outdent buttons or shortcut keys (tab, shift-tab) to change the level of the entire thing. It works and the bullets stay. I can do any subset of a multilevel list as well.

Ah, yes, more to the story...

If I create new note from scratch, I am having much more success with changing indent levels, including as you mention, highlighting a block and indenting/outdenting as a group.

But if I go back and open an older note (not that old, saved a couple of weeks ago), and try the same things, it gets all wonky. That was the test I did for my prior post. So maybe the older saved formatting has issues that affect indenting/outdenting?

Ah, yes, more to the story...

If I create new note from scratch, I am having much more success with changing indent levels, including as you mention, highlighting a block and indenting/outdenting as a group.

But if I go back and open an older note (not that old, saved a couple of weeks ago), and try the same things, it gets all wonky. That was the test I did for my prior post. So maybe the older saved formatting has issues that affect indenting/outdenting?

I have the same experience.  Bulleted lists are still fundamentally broken.

• 6 months later...

Archived