REQUEST: Password protected notebooks

probably not the first user that is requesting that: I would love to be able to password protect single notebooks and/or single notes.

I have a notebook with a personal journal and one with financial information. both I would like to see protected.

of course I could use the pin-protection for premium users, but that slows me down every time I fire up Evernote. and that, I do a lot :)

so what do you guys say?

EN can already so password-protected notes.  In the Mac client I select the content of the note and then click on "Encrypt Selected Text..." from the right-click menu.  Once you provide a password for that encryption, the content is encrypted on the client end and to view it in the future you must enter the password.

Does that meet your needs?

• Level 5*

probably not the first user that is requesting that: I would love to be able to password protect single notebooks and/or single notes.

You are correct on that score. I encourage you to use forum search to find other topics where this is requested/discussed.

EN can already so password-protected notes.  In the Mac client I select the content of the note and then click on "Encrypt Selected Text..." from the right-click menu.  Once you provide a password for that encryption, the content is encrypted on the client end and to view it in the future you must enter the password.

Thanks for you answer, George, but no, that doesn't meet my needs. I want to password protect single notebooks, so that I have a combination of quick access to the "unprotected" area of my Evernote for every day stuff and secure places for my sensible information.

As far as I can see, Evernote seems to have a very basic problem with that pretty common feature request. But as jefito mentioned, I'll dig deeper in the reasons for that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to add my voice to choir - I enjoy using Eerynote to keep track of information that is available in different places... but there a some things I'd like not to share with everyone.  At work particularly, it's difficult to keep logging out explicitly. 

• Level 5*

For folks who want to share notes with other people without revealing your private notes, then the Evernote way is by using the built-in sharing functionality. This artice covers sharing of entire notebooks: http://blog.evernote.com/blog/2012/12/07/quick-tip-friday-notebook-sharing-with-evernote-for-mac-and-windows-desktop/. You can also share individual notes, and premium users can allow other users to edit notes in shared notebooks.

• 4 weeks later...

Wanting to add my voice to the lobby... In hopes that the developers are listening.

Password protection on all devices at the note level, or better yet, at both the Notebook and Notes level is fundamental to the apps usability.

KM

• Level 5*

Need this feature too. I found a program named MacFort which claims that it has the ability to password protect Evernote,

see here:http://www.madowsoft.com/how-to-encrypt-evernote-with-password-protection.html

Has anyone tried the software?

I would also very much like to see encrypted notebooks (as I have mentioned before in other threads), but only if they are "zero knowledge" like SpiderOak (only I have the encryption key), and only if they encrypt the data on Evernote's servers. As BNF said, this has been discussed a lot on the forums already, and so far, Evernote has resisted the idea. It does (as BNF said) run counter to the design philosophy of Evernote, so I think I can see where they are coming from. However, we live in the world we live in, and speaking for myself, I would prefer to trade convenience for privacy/security. For now, I am very selective about what I put on the cloud (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288) -- even more in recent days (I'll stay away from anything overtly political here except to say that I am dismayed by some of the things that have been said by some people in positions of influence about the level of privacy they think we ought to have).

I have not used MacFort. My guess is that MacFort encrypts the Evernote files on your hard drive only. Presumably, this would protect you from relatives or friends who use your computer. In my case, I just set up a separate user profile and use FileVault, so my data is about as secure as it is going to get. If you are looking for "password protection" on your account because you share your computer, I'd strongly recommend what you already have for free on your Mac, because it is quite powerful protection.

Need this feature too. I found a program named MacFort which claims that it has the ability to password protect Evernote,

see here:http://www.madowsoft.com/how-to-encrypt-evernote-with-password-protection.html

I would also very much like to see encrypted notebooks (as I have mentioned before in other threads), but only if they are "zero knowledge" like SpiderOak (only I have the encryption key), and only if they encrypt the data on Evernote's servers. As BNF said, this has been discussed a lot on the forums already, and so far, Evernote has resisted the idea. It does (as BNF said) run counter to the design philosophy of Evernote, so I think I can see where they are coming from. However, we live in the world we live in, and speaking for myself, I would prefer to trade convenience for privacy/security. For now, I am very selective about what I put on the cloud (http://www.christopher-mayo.com/?p=288) -- even more in recent days (I'll stay away from anything overtly political here except to say that I am dismayed by some of the things that have been said by some people in positions of influence about the level of privacy they think we ought to have).

I have not used MacFort. My guess is that MacFort encrypts the Evernote files on your hard drive only. Presumably, this would protect you from relatives or friends who use your computer. In my case, I just set up a separate user profile and use FileVault, so my data is about as secure as it is going to get. If you are looking for "password protection" on your account because you share your computer, I'd strongly recommend what you already have for free on your Mac, because it is quite powerful protection.

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

I'm not concerned about the data safety in the cloud. I choose Evernote because i believe the company will take care of my data.

I'd like to password protect Evernote because i share my iMac with my sister. FileVault is overkill for me, i just want to encrypt Evernote

notebooks on my computer, not the whole hard disk, and i don't want to log out when my sister just need to use my computer for a while...

Anyway, i will appreciate if Evernote can give me the ability to password lock the app itself..

• Level 5*

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

I'm not concerned about the data safety in the cloud. I choose Evernote because i believe the company will take care of my data.

I'd like to password protect Evernote because i share my iMac with my sister. FileVault is overkill for me, i just want to encrypt Evernote

notebooks on my computer, not the whole hard disk, and i don't want to log out when my sister just need to use my computer for a while...

Anyway, i will appreciate if Evernote can give me the ability to password lock the app itself..

Evernote is one of the most trustworthy companies I have ever worked with, so I think you are correct there. As for encryption and password protection on your computer, I'd just set up another user profile for your sister. That solves the problem much more effectively than Evernote could. Evernote stores your data on your drive in a way that makes it easily accessible to Spotlight for searching (thank goodness), but this also means that it is not easy to package up and encrypt / password protect. Some apps do this, of course, and it is possible, but the easiest solution is still (in my opinion) just creating another user profile for her. It only takes a second, and switching between users is painless on the Mac.

I'd like to also PLEASE request password protected notes and notebooks! I feel like this is a simple and necessary feature for a note-taking program and I'm surprised it still hasn't been implemented yet. I know the Evernote team is hard at work with a million other requests, but I hope we can bump this up to higher priority :)

I know I'm not alone when I'd like to have an entire notebook for private stuff (personal journal, medical/therapy notes, etc.). However I don't want to logout of Evernote everytime I leave my computer, or even select each new text entry and encrypt/decrypt. I just want it so that if someone (like a co-worker or friend) uses my computer, they don't have easy access to incredibly personal (and embarrassing!) notes of mine. Password protected notebooks and notes seems like an easy and simple solution to that. It just needs to be simple enough to keep another computer using from easily accessing it. Nothing more complicated then that. Thanks for listening guys, you're the best!

• 2 weeks later...

so weak

so weak

Thank you for adding your thoughts to the conversation, Anoboy.

EN can already so password-protected notes. In the Mac client I select the content of the note and then click on "Encrypt Selected Text..." from the right-click menu. Once you provide a password for that encryption, the content is encrypted on the client end and to view it in the future you must enter the password.

so weak
Then maybe you should use a true password manager for sensitive info.

so weak

The line level encryption is only available when accessing EN on a MAC, it doesn't work on other platforms. 

For example, you create an encrypted note on a MAC, then switch to an iPad. You can enter the password to read it but you can't edit or add to it. You also can't create new encrypted notes on other devices.

Too limited.

• Level 5*

so weak
The line level encryption is only available when accessing EN on a MAC, it doesn't work on other platforms. 

For example, you create an encrypted note on a MAC, then switch to an iPad. You can enter the password to read it but you can't edit or add to it. You also can't create new encrypted notes on other devices.

Too limited.

As a note of clarification, the encryption of text inside of notes works on desktops with Windows or OSX. You are correct about the limitations of mobile platforms. I imagine it is no small feat to encrypt entire notebooks (a request I have made) on mobile devices, and also to have them sync across clients. There is at least one note-taking application that manages encryption of the entire database in the OSX / iOS environment, but none that I know of that can do it for OSX, iOS, Windows, Android, etc.

Evernote, honestly, just add a freakin password option to notes and books. You spend your time building all these other silly little apps and features and take it all so seriously like you're some kind of clone of Apple, so do us a favor and add a useful feature for a change and put this in. It isn't rocket surgery...

There, I said it.

• Level 5*

Evernote, honestly, just add a freakin password option to notes and books. You spend your time building all these other silly little apps and features and take it all so seriously like you're some kind of clone of Apple, so do us a favor and add a useful feature for a change and put this in. It isn't rocket surgery...

There, I said it.

Hi. I don't think it is quite that simple. What's the point of a password if Spotlight (Mac) indexes the account content? Without encryption, it's a false sense of security.

• Level 5*

Set up a guest account for other people to use.

Set up a hot corner to lock your mac.

All your data protected.

True. But, if you are concerned about putting un-encrypted data on the cloud, then encrypted notebooks are needed.

To be fair, I think the OP was just looking for passwords to keep out people on their computer, and like I said above, a password isn't actually going to offer any protection whatsoever, while your solution does.

PLEASE give me the ability to password protect Notebooks.  All the other ideas (e.g., another profile) don't solve the fundamental problem of losing my phone.  I want to protect data from the 'finder.'  But just one notebook.  Hiding everything would be a pain.

And I'll add this, give me the ability to protect pictures (e.g., credit cards).

It would be nice is someone associated with EN would chime in with a "in next version" or "not gonna happen."

PLEASE give me the ability to password protect Notebooks.  All the other ideas (e.g., another profile) don't solve the fundamental problem of losing my phone.  I want to protect data from the 'finder.'  But just one notebook.  Hiding everything would be a pain.

And I'll add this, give me the ability to protect pictures (e.g., credit cards).

It would be nice is someone associated with EN would chime in with a "in next version" or "not gonna happen."

This is in the Mac section.  But regarding your lost/stolen phone, that's what phone pin codes & app pin codes are for.  As far as credit cards & such, that's what true password manager apps are for.  As far as a response from EN, as has been noted hundreds of times over, EN does not publish their roadmap or ETAs.

• Level 5

+1 on BurgersNFries comment.

On the phone/tablet, you need to use a strong PIN or passphrase, and should use the Evernote PIN option (requires premium account).

iOS devices use whole device encryption (everything, not just Evernote), so using a strong PIN to log into the phone does strongly protect the device in case of loss/theft.

You can do a lot with non-administrator guest accounts on the Local PC side, but it's by no means bullet-proof.

For credit card info and encrypted CC photos, etc.  Again Evernote is currently the wrong tool.

No cost, best in class tool here would be LastPass and LastPass Wallet.

If you later want to extend that to handling all your mobile browser logins, that pushes you to a premium ($1/month) account and then you can use the LastPass mobile apps

This solution provides client side AES-256 encryption of text and attachments.  You can encrypt and decrypt on mobile clients.  And LastPass cannot not decrypt your data.

There, I said it.

Hi. I don't think it is quite that simple. What's the point of a password if Spotlight (Mac) indexes the account content? Without encryption, it's a false sense of security.

It won't get indexed by spotlight.

There are many ways they can make this type of functionality work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

i NEED this too... for sharing important information with my college age daughter (like her network encryption info)

Why would you need encryption to share information with your daughter? Are you trying to encrypt data that you're sharing with her?!?!?

i NEED this too... for sharing important information with my college age daughter (like her network encryption info)

Not really a need.  Rather a "want".  However, if you want to share one or more passwords with your daughter, I would suggest using something designed for that such as Roboform, One Password, LastPass, etc.

Not really a need.  Rather a "want".  However, if you want to share one or more passwords with your daughter, I would suggest using something designed for that such as Roboform, One Password, LastPass, etc.

Seriously?  You're now telling people "how" to use software and "what their needs are"?  Good lord...  I think you have the "mommie" instinct on overdrive there, "Burgersnfries".

People have a right to ask for features.  Passwords for notes is a reasonable feature request.  Stop trying to talk people out of it.  That puts the ugly in your zeal.

When the core Evernote team thinks this is a good idea, I think you have already lost any argument about needs versus wants...  And an App Store for Evernote like it is some sort of platform (http://trunk.evernote.com/apps)?  Please...  And the irony of you pointing people to other apps to use passwords when Evernote is trying to pimp their little "app store" is lost on you, I think.

Evernote is, foremost, a note taking app.  Passwords are a natural part of providing some measure of security for us and our content, whether you agree or not.  Evernote is not Apple, as much as they may try.  Get over yourselves.  They/you should really stop trying to make grand, sweeping, pseudo-eite-designer diatribes on why a feature "shouldn't be there, because we, the little people don't get it" or how it would upset the balance of the universe.

Just frickin put an understated option in there to allow for a basic password on a note or a book.  That is it.  Not rocket science.  No "heavy engineering" to be done, and the designer Gods in the sky washing Steve Jobs feet won't weep.  Jesus...

Seriously?  You're now telling people "how" to use software and "what their needs are"?  Good lord...  I think you have the "mommie" instinct on overdrive there, "Burgersnfries".

People have a right to ask for features.  Passwords for notes is a reasonable feature request.  Stop trying to talk people out of it.  That puts the ugly in your zeal.

When the core Evernote team thinks this is a good idea, I think you have already lost any argument about needs versus wants...  And an App Store for Evernote like it is some sort of platform (http://trunk.evernote.com/apps)?  Please...  And the irony of you pointing people to other apps to use passwords when Evernote is trying to pimp their little "app store" is lost on you, I think.

Evernote is, foremost, a note taking app.  Passwords are a natural part of providing some measure of security for us and our content, whether you agree or not.  Evernote is not Apple, as much as they may try.  Get over yourselves.  They/you should really stop trying to make grand, sweeping, pseudo-eite-designer diatribes on why a feature "shouldn't be there, because we, the little people don't get it" or how it would upset the balance of the universe.

Just frickin put an understated option in there to allow for a basic password on a note or a book.  That is it.  Not rocket science.  No "heavy engineering" to be done, and the designer Gods in the sky washing Steve Jobs feet won't weep.  Jesus...

Oh please.  No where did I say people can't ask for this.  No where did I say this was unreasonable.  But yes, the right tool for the right task.  Furthermore, you have no clue if any "heavy engineering" is involved or not.  (Nor do I.)  But ultimately, even if it would take five minutes to add (doubtful b/c when you're talking this many platforms, I don't think anything is five minutes), Evernote has chosen to not implment any more password protection than already exists, at least so far.  So I would seriously suggest you not hold your breath waiting for it, since there's no way for us to know if/when anything like this would ever be done.  You can yammer on & on about the lack of it.  But the most productive thing to do is accept EN as it is today & find any other apps that are of benefit to you, if EN does not fit that need.

I don't know why pointing to EN Food has anything to do with needs vs wants.  A user says he "needs" encryption.  No, he doesn't.  He "wants" encryption.  Nothing to do with EN's choice to make the Food app.  It's their choice, their income, their decision. 

And no, EN is not a "note taking app".  It's an app that focuses on collecting, organizing & retrieving information.  But guess what, you can use it to take notes.  But it's not as robust as using Word.  You can make tables.  But it's not as robust as Excel.  And guess what.  You can encrypt text.  But it's not as robust as a true password manager.

Oh please.  No where did I say people can't ask for this.  No where did I say this was unreasonable.  But yes, the right tool for the right task.  Furthermore, you have no clue if any "heavy engineering" is involved or not.  (Nor do I.)  But ultimately, even if it would take five minutes to add (doubtful b/c when you're talking this many platforms, I don't think anything is five minutes), Evernote has chosen to not implment any more password protection than already exists.

I don't know why pointing to EN Food has anything to do with needs vs wants.  A user says he "needs" encryption.  No, he doesn't.  He "wants" encryption.  Nothing to do with EN's choice to make the Food app.  It's their choice, their income, their decision. 

And no, EN is not a "note taking app".  It's an app that focuses on collecting, organizing & retrieving information.  But guess what, you can use it to take notes.  But it's not as robust as using Word.  You can make tables.  But it's not as robust as Excel.  And guess what.  You can encrypt text.  But it's not as robust as a true password manager.

You're hilarious.  And not an Evangelist, I might add, more of a zealous cop.  I actually do know whether it takes heavy engineering or not, thanks, I've been an engineer in Silicon Valley for the past 17 years.  And, no, it isn't heavy engineering.

I pointed to Evernote Food because it is silly, absurd, and was not the "highest rated NEED" for Evernote.  They just decided to "do it".  "Because".  You are the one making up a system of needs vs wants - a system Evernote themselves are not adhering to.  That's my point.  That's why this is bad evangelism.

Yes, Evernote IS a notetaking app, because that is what people may USE it for.  Notes are a form of information.  That's like saying Netscape was an "information retrieval system".  The fact that information is stored and so many people on here are asking for a way to protect that information, while you try to put your finger in the ***** of requests is laughable.  You might find a better calling in politics.

People want this feature, period.  When enough people want something, it is a need.  Whether you agree or not.  How many fingers you got left for the *****?

I've been an engineer in Silicon Valley for the past 17 years.

That does not qualify you to make judgementa about other software that you are not intimately familiar with.

Ok, 97% of the users here are, have been or claim to be devs. Regardless, any dev who has been around the block a time or two & is worth much of anything knows that you really don't know for sure how easy or difficult something is to code in code that you are not familiar with. Or the ramifications of that code in other operating systems or certain scenarios. Or different devices. Or maybe it's not a workable solution for the volume of data involved, since Evernote is looking to be a 100 year company. Or maybe it's simply not what Evernote is about. So no, you do not know if it would be easy or difficult to incorporate and/or support or even if they have a desire to add this feature. You're simply armchair quarterbacking.

There is nothing wrong with people stating they are or have been devs. But it almost always prefaces something (basically) like they "know" a particular feature is easy to add. Which again, is simply not true, unless you're EN staff. That's a fact.

People want this feature, period. When enough people want something, it is a need.

Nope.  Wanting something does not make it a need. And these discussions are really not productive since it's EN's decision & everything else is just pure speculation on our part.

I've been an engineer in Silicon Valley for the past 17 years.

That does not qualify you to make judgementa about other software that you are not intimately familiar with.

Ok, 97% of the users here are, have been or claim to be devs. Regardless, any dev who has been around the block a time or two & is worth much of anything knows that you really don't know for sure how easy or difficult something is to code in code that you are not familiar with. Or the ramifications of that code in other operating systems or certain scenarios. Or different devices. Or maybe it's not a workable solution for the volume of data involved, since Evernote is looking to be a 100 year company. Or maybe it's simply not what Evernote is about. So no, you do not know if it would be easy or difficult to incorporate and/or support or even if they have a desire to add this feature. You're simply armchair quarterbacking.

There is nothing wrong with people stating they are or have been devs. But it almost always prefaces something (basically) like they "know" a particular feature is easy to add. Which again, is simply not true, unless you're EN staff. That's a fact.

People want this feature, period. When enough people want something, it is a need.

Nope.  Wanting something does not make it a need. 

Lol omg you are impossible.  I couldn't imagine being married to you...

need  
/nēd/

Verb
Require (something) because it is essential or very important: "I need help now".

The people in this thread are saying "we need help now", no matter what you choose to believe.  Who made you the gatekeeper anyway?  You disagree, that's all, now move along.

And, incidentally, I to address your dismissive judgement call, I am familiar with encryption and security more than you know.  On iOS (objective C), on servers, in Java, PHP, networking, databases, and C++, so please don't say whether I am qualified or not.  Your ignorance is showing.  This in itself should prove to your superiors that you are the wrong person for this role.

The request stands, whether you "approve" of it or not, and we know you disagree, but you aren't the final decision maker.  Nor should you be trying to convince us of your personal bias.  Let someone more serious, experienced, and knowledgable, and who has real customer support skills handle this, please.  Otherwise, you have stated your (myopic) opinion on the matter.  Which, lest we forget, is still a NON-Evernote opinion.  Just a loud, obnoxious one.

Don't you have a soccer game to shuttle your kids to?  (shudder)

• Level 5*

Whatever the semantics, Evernote have recently released major updates to OS X, Android and iOS clients with Windows not far behind without this feature included.

If you want or need this right now, well Evernote is not the right application for you right now. It may become the application for you in the future or it may not. Evernote famously don't discuss their roadmap and so it is up to you as a grown up to make the decision to either stick with an application that doesn't give you what you want/need or not.

• Level 5*

How about we move a little closer to the topic, folks (Evernote, remember?), and away from observations about other forum users, and we'll continue to keep the topic open. It's a good topic for discussion. Thank you.

metrodon, this is exactly why we are posting. We are hoping an app we love will implement a feature request for the future. That is it.

Jeff, agreed, it is just hard to be heard with a non-Evernote person shutting down and invalidating everyone's attempts at making a request.

Thanks for addressing this.

• Level 5*

Jeff, agreed, it is just hard to be heard with a non-Evernote person shutting down and invalidating everyone's attempts at making a request.

All users here are very much Evernote persons, insofar as they're Evernote users (and even if they're not Evernote staff; this is a user forum, and not specifically an Evernote support forum), and as far as I can tell, nobody's opinions are being either shut down or invalidated. The request is valid, as are attempts to discuss it and opinions as to technical feasibility (even though they're on a par with discussions about sports, entertaining but possibly neither enlightening nor definitive). Disagreement is permitted in open discussion here; personal attacks are not.

I understand, Jeff, but when someone is constantly shooting down an idea as a "want vs need" as the empress of the forums, it gets a little much. Fact is people are asking for a feature. Her editorial does not make it a want vs a need. It is a request, plain and simple. Sometimes people just won't listen. And that's all anybody here wants, is to be heard.

Thanks.

• 8 months later...

Hello everyone,

I went through the topic list and didn't find anything about this, so I gues it's a non existent feature. And in my opinion, one that would be a plus to the already fantastic app that is Penultimate.

I'm talking about Password Protection for individual notebooks, of course. I have a few notebooks, for work, for personal use, etc. Some of them are just grocery lists, things to-do, you name it. But others contain sensitive material for work, or even the ones I use as a journal, which I would very much prefer to have protected. Yes, I could just password protect Penultimate, which I do, but when I'm out with clients, and need to take a quick note in my general notes notebook, I need to unlock the iPad password protection, then open Penultimate and unlock it too. It would be really good to have Penultimate unlocked at all time, and have only specific notebooks protected instead.

Does this make sense to anyone else? Or am I just being picky? ;)

Thanks for listening.

:wub: Evernote  :wub: Penultimate

I suspect this will become possible if Evernote decides to implement password protected notebooks in Evernote. Until that happens (if it ever does) I don't imagine we'll see it in Evernote.

Either way, I agree that password protected notebooks in Evernote itself (discussed many other places on these forums) AND in penultimate would be very valuable.

Indeed.

Individual protection for notebooks, along with (extended) multi-level organization and somewhat advanced word processor features, are all in my top requests to make Evernote even better. Sorry to introduce these in the topic, but I write a lot, and I can't wait to ditch Word and Pages and just do all my writing in Evernote, making use of its information-research-gather-sketch power, all in one place. That will be heaven!

• 4 weeks later...

Evernote has really changed the way I organize information, I'm a total fan. But I think for more folks to really embrace the platform as a one stop solution, password protected notebooks is a key feature addition. Face it: some notes need an extra layer of protection. The lack of this feature makes me move towards other apps...when all I want to do is stay in Evernote. Please help.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wish Evernote would consider making it possible to password protect a document or an entire notebook.  I understand you can encrypt text, but I'd love to scan documents into Evernote for safe keeping but I'd want them password protected.  So many people now use Evernote for business and home, I would think this is something that would benefit the masses.  Being able to password protect a notebook would allow you to have a digital copy of your passport or birth certificate on your phone, computer and tablet, and it would be protected by the password.

Some things probably just should NOT be put in the cloud to begin with..... or at least, not just any cloud. Not without SERIOUS encryption. 

Also, users need to secure their devices, such as password protected user accounts on their computers, so that other family members, guests, or physically present thieves can't easily access the account's contents. 

Nevertheless, I think password protected notebooks could be good. This has been discussed at great length elsewhere:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36640-feature-request-password-protected-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/57152-feature-request-password-protect-single-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36640-feature-request-password-protected-notebooks/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/39180-password-protect-evernote-in-total/

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/32488-windows-app-password-protect-lock-it-without-logging-out/

• Level 5*

Some things probably just should be put in the cloud to begin with..... or at least, not just any cloud. Not without SERIOUS encryption. 

Scott, should this have read "should NOT be put in the cloud"?

I personally do not put any sensitive information into the cloud ... if I can avoid it.

Some things probably just should be put in the cloud to begin with..... or at least, not just any cloud. Not without SERIOUS encryption. 

Scott, should this have read "should NOT be put in the cloud"?

I personally do not put any sensitive information into the cloud ... if I can avoid it.

Thanks, you are right, I forgot a word ;) 

Agreed...

Anything very personal is zero-knowledge encrypted and transferred to my various devices using my local network ONLY. 

I've been writing software and selling software to clients for 35 years. I can't beleive what I am reading. I didn't know Evernote from Google three days ago. The only reason you guys got my money is because I happened to download a $2.99 eBook on Amazon that mentioned Evernote, so I decided to check it out. Now I am reading a kindergarden style debate on why Evernote won't write a notebook protection routine, which I feel I need as well, and all I'm hearing are lectures on why the users (me) don't need it. My 35 years years of experience tells me that this is one of the first indications of delusuons and grandeur, and the first sign of a software company heading for the proverbial tubes. For God sakes, at least have the decency to give your customers reasons for why you cannot do it right now, and stop whining about why they don't need it.

I've been writing software and selling software to clients for 35 years. I can't beleive what I am reading. I didn't know Evernote from Google three days ago. The only reason you guys got my money is because I happened to download a $2.99 eBook on Amazon that mentioned Evernote, so I decided to check it out. Now I am reading a kindergarden style debate on why Evernote won't write a notebook protection routine, which I feel I need as well, and all I'm hearing are lectures on why the users (me) don't need it. My 35 years years of experience tells me that this is one of the first indications of delusuons and grandeur, and the first sign of a software company heading for the proverbial tubes. For God sakes, at least have the decency to give your customers reasons for why you cannot do it right now, and stop whining about why they don't need it.

Well put, Bill. Thank you for posting this. So true.

My guess is they won't fix it because they are trying so hard to be like Apple and say "no" to features. Except they aren't as good at it as Apple.

Still waiting for this basic functionality, Evernote...

Well, since one can use Evernote for free (forever, last I knew), I would suggest that perhaps you should have done your due diligence before paying for a premium account three days into using it. 

I don't recall seeing "lectures" on why users don't need notebook protection.  Perhaps you should quote or link to the specfic ones you are offended by.

And finally, it's Evernote's product.  It's their choice what they will do or won't do.  It's your choice as a user to do due diligence & determine if a product is right for you or not.  But jumping in three days after finding a product & then blaming the product because it doesn't do what you think it should do is silly.

You've just proven Bill's point, "burgersnfries"...

And man are you ever a forum *****, whew...

How about you let Evernote have a conversation with the community instead of you attempting to muzzle us.

Sheesh. No wonder they haven't implemented this feature, they probably have no idea we are requesting it at all since all you do is shout people down who request reasonable features...

You've just proven Bill's point, "burgersnfries"...

And man are you ever a forum *****, whew...

How about you let Evernote have a conversation with the community instead of you attempting to muzzle us.

Sheesh. No wonder they haven't implemented this feature, they probably have no idea we are requesting it at all since all you do is shout people down who request reasonable features...

How about you learn more about the board before you spout what you think you know is true.  This is a user's message board.  Evernote rarely comments here.  My input has little to no impact on what Evernote will or will not implement.  (FYI, this statements have been posted many times on the board so it's not new info.)

And finally, I have never "shouted" anyone down.  I'm simply stating facts & have provided reasonable & good options.  Sorry you disagree & don't like my answers but sometimes the truth hurts.  People need to start taking responsibility for their actions & not blame someone else for something that is fully under their control. 

Bless your heart.

BurgerNFries, I have no idea where you came up with all that. When someone starts LECTURING on the difference between NEED and WANTS, it's a good example of lecturing. And furthermore, I never "blamed" the prioduct for anything, and I wasn't adressing you. What gives you the right to start bullying people anyway? I cut my teeth on bullies, and you don't scare me one bit.

BurgerNFries, I have no idea where you came up with all that. When someone starts LECTURING on the difference between NEED and WANTS, it's a good example of lecturing. And furthermore, I never "blamed" the prioduct for anything, and I wasn't adressing you. What gives you the right to start bullying people anyway? I cut my teeth on bullies, and you don't scare me one bit.

I don't recall seeing "lectures" on why users don't need notebook protection. Perhaps you should quote or link to the specfic ones you are offended by.

Burgersnfries, you hurt Evernote.

Period.

That actually made me laugh out loud.

BurgersnFries: Bless your heart!  

Thank you so much for clarifying for everybody that "it's Evernote's product" and that it's therefore Evernote's "choice what [it] will do or won't do" with its product. I don't think anybody realized this crucial point. Your remark is truly enlightening and raises the level of discussion for all. Thanks!

More generally, I'm so inspired that you take the time to attack people for complaining about products. People should *never* complain about products and services or make suggestions for improvements. It's not like a company ever could, would, or should listen to feedback about what customers want. What kind of weird company would do that? We should all just accept what companies offer in the exact form in which it is offered, and nobody should ever express dissatisfaction with any company's product--ever! And as you suggest, this is especially true if somebody paid too quickly for a product with doing due diligence. In those cases, whatever right the person had to express his or his view is lost. Nobody ever wants to hear ideas or suggestions from somebody like that, because their ideas will always, of course, be completely worthless. It's just so "silly," as you suggest, for a person to buy something and then to have the audacity to express an opinion about what he or she purchased! It's just laughable when you think about it.

In short, three cheers for Evernote for doing what's best for us whether we like it or not, and three cheers for BurgersnFries! I’m so inspired: I will never complain about anything a company does ever again.

I'm glad I was able to enlighten, clarify & inspire you. Please point out where I said no one should complain about a product (Evernote) or make suggestions for improvements. I'm pretty sure you can't because I haven't. But nice try. Yes, it's silly for someone to jump into buying something that they don't have to pay for & then complain b/c it doesn't do what they want it to do after they pay for it. Actually, it's not so much silly as it is poor judgment.

Carry on.

Period.

That's because it's true.

You've once again successfully derailed the thread into bickering with your desire to pick fights.

You're a horrible, arrogant, combative troll who always need to be right.  Not enough attention as a child?  I don't know and I frankly don't care.  You're a terrible personality for a forum "moderator".

Do this forum a favor and learn some humility and peace.  Keep your mouth shut since you add no value to these threads when all people want is to be HEARD by EVERNOTE.  NOT YOU, troll.

We do NOT CARE about what you have to say.  Let that sink in.  No, really; let that sink in deeply.  NOBODY CARES about what you have to say.  Look at all the reactions to what you say.  That is the evidence.

What we do care about is sharing our thoughts, suggestions, and ideas with a company who creates a decent piece of software called Evernote.  You have no place in that conversation.  We are sharing this feedback because we do actually care about the product.

You won't go away quietly, apparently, so just please, go away.  I'm done with you and your garbage and won't be replying.  Evernote should be ashamed that they have you trolling their boards.  I'll be letting their executive team know that you are single handedly serving as a destructive PR force and caustic personality for us users.

Now, back to the topic at hand:

Password protected notes in Evernote.  Please, Evernote?

You've once again successfully derailed the thread into bickering with your desire to pick fights.

You're a horrible, arrogant, combative troll who always need to be right.  Not enough attention as a child?  I don't know and I frankly don't care.  You're a terrible personality for a forum "moderator".

Do this forum a favor and learn some humility and peace.  Keep your mouth shut since you add no value to these threads when all people want is to be HEARD by EVERNOTE.  NOT YOU, troll.

We do NOT CARE about what you have to say.  Let that sink in.  No, really; let that sink in deeply.  NOBODY CARES about what you have to say.  Look at all the reactions to what you say.  That is the evidence.

What we do care about is sharing our thoughts, suggestions, and ideas with a company who creates a decent piece of software called Evernote.  You have no place in that conversation.  We are sharing this feedback because we do actually care about the product.

You won't go away quietly, apparently, so just please, go away.  I'm done with you and your garbage and won't be replying.  Evernote should be ashamed that they have you trolling their boards.  I'll be letting their executive team know that you are single handedly serving as a destructive PR force and caustic personality for us users.

Password protected notes in Evernote.  Please, Evernote?

This is not your medium to discuss what you like or dislike about me. This is also a public board and I have just as much right to post here as you do. If you feel any post by me (or anyone) goes against the forum code of conduct (located here: https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=13), which BTW yours does, you are free to use the report button that appears on each & every post.  However, it's not for reporting posts you simply don't like by people you don't like.  That's part of life.

You are also free to not read my posts, if they are so upsetting to you.  I suggest that when you say "Now, back to the topic at hand:" that that includes you...because you felt right at home jumping on the bandwagon derailing this thread. 

So maybe now the thread really can get back on topic...

Yes please, password protect individual notebooks. The password encryption only seems to work for text, so notes containing files or images can't be protected. My other request would be that when the return key is pressed after typing in the password to unencrypt text, the text doesn't automatically appear highlighted. It's too easy to accidentally press a key and delete everything. Sounds hamfisted but when you're in a hurry it's really easy to do.

In a word...WRONG! BurgerNFries is one of a handful of power users and until they changed the rules a few days, trusted moderators, who's opinions I deeply respect. She is always very helpful and, in my opinion, exceedingly patient. The problem you see here, is on you Beatybeaty. Just because you don't like her opinions or the *facts* she relays to users about while requesting and hoping for features is fine, the features currently provided by Evernote are what we have to work with for now, does not invalidate her experise, experience, good standing on this forum, or her opinions.

BillScott, I find it unfortunate that you made a rash purchase decision and I will not negate your right to come on this forum and vent about your expectations not being met. However, I would encourage you to contact Support and ask for a refund if you'd rather try another product or simply switch to being a free user. As a Premium member you are entitled to priority support via Live Chat or email. For more details please refer to the below link:

https://discussion.evernote.com/topic/51807-best-practices-submitting-a-support-ticket/#entry254984/

Period.

You're a horrible, arrogant, combative troll who always need to be right. Not enough attention as a child? I don't know and I frankly don't care. You're a terrible personality for a forum "moderator".

Do this forum a favor and learn some humility and peace. Keep your mouth shut since you add no value to these threads when all people want is to be HEARD by EVERNOTE. NOT YOU, troll.

We do NOT CARE about what you have to say. Let that sink in. No, really; let that sink in deeply. NOBODY CARES about what you have to say. Look at all the reactions to what you say. That is the evidence.

What we do care about is sharing our thoughts, suggestions, and ideas with a company who creates a decent piece of software called Evernote. You have no place in that conversation. We are sharing this feedback because we do actually care about the product.

You won't go away quietly, apparently, so just please, go away. I'm done with you and your garbage and won't be replying. Evernote should be ashamed that they have you trolling their boards. I'll be letting their executive team know that you are single handedly serving as a destructive PR force and caustic personality for us users.

Password protected notes in Evernote. Please, Evernote?

"BillScott, I find it unfortunate that you made a rash purchase decision and I will not negate your right to come on this forum and vent about your expectations not being met. However, I would encourage you to contact Support and ask for a refund if you'd rather try another product or simply switch to being a free user. As a Premium member you are entitled to priority support via Live Chat or email. For more details please refer to the below link"

Wordsgood, while I respect your opinion. I would like to set things straight. I do not need a lecture on how I should have done my "due dilligence" before I purchased Evernote.  I am not a child, and any way you look at it, her univited response was rude. I NEVER complained about Evernote's features. My complaint was the way users are being put down by simply making a request. It is extremely unprofessional, and I seriously doubt the owners of Evernote would approve of the agressive, bullying tactics being used to stifle criticism. I, for one, will never post another question on this forum, because I am a paying customers and I deserve the respect that should be afforded to all users of the product.. paid or free. I'm sorry that your find it unfortunate that I made a "rash decision". The only rash descision that I have made so far is coming to this forum seeking help. You can bar me, and call me any name you want, but I do not have to accept this kind of response for anyone.

Yes, please report me and delete me from access to your forum, as I do not wish to accidentally click on this link again, and don't bother to respond as I will not see it or read it. Have a nice life.

Bill, I hope you do see this post...

I don't have the power to ban you and *would not* even if I did. Truth is, I a just a free user that has learned a lot from BurgerNFries (BNF) about using EN from her.

I *do* understand that to *some* people - especially brand new forum members - some her posts may come across as arrogant and snippy. When I first joined the forum, there were a few posts of hers in reponse to other users, that I did find a bit off-putting. But, being brand new I said nothing and was soon glad I hadn't.

The reason for not regretting my decision was that after digging around then recent and old post, I saw a good number of users who - even after finding out that BNF and other Moderators/Evangelists were (and still are) volunteers who devoted their time, energy and hands-on experience to help other, newer users, both free & paid - went off on them in rude, deliberately insulting ways when what they wanted or hoped for, or expected, turned out to not be possible.

These people recieve zero in compensation for all the people they help. The now former Evangelist title was bestowed on some forum members, some of whom also happen to be Moderators, as a kind of thank you from Evernote for all they do. It wasn't asked for and provided no tangible perks...but I have seen the title turned against them and used with a nasty connatation many times. In every thread where I took the time to investigate by going back and reading from the start - totally a good number of theads - it always turned out to be the angry users that had turned things nasty and made it personal by slinging insults. Much like BeatyBeaty has done here in this thread...

First back in August 2013 when a fairly innoccous comment BNF made in her reply to a different user, where he (or she, but judging his later and progressively more aggressive *and sexist* comments) popped in, conflated BNF's comment in both terms of intent and context. It was, as far as I can see, BeatyBeaty, who first started with the posting of Dictionary word definitions. Can you see, from reading the below quoted post of his from August 2013 how he takes everything she says and twists it, while insulting her at the same time? And is sexist to boot?

BeatyBeaty loudly proclaims his own professional experience and his *personal* opinion, yet from my point of view, seeks to belittle and demean BurgerNFries' own decades of professional experience, her in-depth experience with using Evernote for many years, and her *personal* opinions... In short, from my POV, he seeks to muzzle her completely - based on just the below quoted post of his and all the other ones from him on *this* Thread, he doesn't see her value in any way, personally or professionally - because in a rude though roundabout way, *she* is a *woman* that does not agree with him!

Nowhere in this thread - or any other one for that matter - can I see anything from BNF or anyone else that discourages users, from posting Feature Requests. What the she and all the other mods here and elsewhere on the forum, have done, any number of times, is let folks know that these desired features don't currently exist. They also often remind folks that EN does not share there roadmap so there is no way of knowing when, or if, the desired features will ever be implemented.

Frequently, they also offer suggested workarounds or alternative to assist users in the here and now. Which is exactly what BNF did on this thread in response to a user stating she needed a secure way to share EN notes with his/her daughter, at which point BeatyBeaty jumped back into the thread and started going off on her.

Not really a need. Rather a "want". However, if you want to share one or more passwords with your daughter, I would suggest using something designed for that such as Roboform, One Password, LastPass, etc.

I do not see any way in which his immediate response was at all appropriate to her comment about "need vs. want."

Seriously? You're now telling people "how" to use software and "what their needs are"? Good lord... I think you have the "mommie" instinct on overdrive there, "Burgersnfries".

People have a right to ask for features. Passwords for notes is a reasonable feature request. Stop trying to talk people out of it. That puts the ugly in your zeal.

When the core Evernote team thinks this is a good idea, I think you have already lost any argument about needs versus wants... And an App Store for Evernote like it is some sort of platform (http://trunk.evernote.com/apps)? Please... And the irony of you pointing people to other apps to use passwords when Evernote is trying to pimp their little "app store" is lost on you, I think.

Evernote is, foremost, a note taking app. Passwords are a natural part of providing some measure of security for us and our content, whether you agree or not. Evernote is not Apple, as much as they may try. Get over yourselves. They/you should really stop trying to make grand, sweeping, pseudo-eite-designer diatribes on why a feature "shouldn't be there, because we, the little people don't get it" or how it would upset the balance of the universe.

Just frickin put an understated option in there to allow for a basic password on a note or a book. That is it. Not rocket science. No "heavy engineering" to be done, and the designer Gods in the sky washing Steve Jobs feet won't weep. Jesus.

His subsequent posts in reponse to everything BNF posted after that just get worse right up until the one I quoted in my first post on this thread. In that one one he was overtly and agressively obnoxious.

*** Remember that this is just a small sampling of what the Moderators have to deal with day and day out, all the while trying behind the scenes - communicate with Evernote about the community's want's and frustrations, also having to constantly clears daily bulk spam attacks, and working to calm user fears about things like a recent the DDOS hacking attack that hit systems worldwide back in June of this year, and now the recent major service and feature changes - all this they have been doing for FREE on their OWN time, with ZERO inside information from or about Evernote! And they have been doing it for YEARS...

Sure, sometimes BNF's posts are a little gruff, and yes, every so often she has enough, and gives the user(s) in question, a snippy answer.

I don't believe she was meaning to lecture you personally, Bill, though I can see how you might have taken it that way. But honestly, I feel that in your first post - keeing in mind that I do understand and sympathize with what and how you stated your situation - that you also came off sounding a bit like you "lecturing" or "scolding" in tone yourself. And to me, it did sound like you were suffering a bit of Buyers Remorse.

BeatyBeaty, however, seems to have used BurgerNFries' response as ammo and ran with it, turning his next post into a, nasty, sexist, un-called for and completely inappropriate, personal attack on her.

So BillScott, assume the recent service and feature changes are not signalling the end of Evernote the company and this forum, I do hope you'll stick around for a while and give the community as a whole, a chance. As paid or free user.

Cheers!

"BillScott, I find it unfortunate that you made a rash purchase decision and I will not negate your right to come on this forum and vent about your expectations not being met. However, I would encourage you to contact Support and ask for a refund if you'd rather try another product or simply switch to being a free user. As a Premium member you are entitled to priority support via Live Chat or email. For more details please refer to the below link"

Wordsgood, while I respect your opinion. I would like to set things straight. I do not need a lecture on how I should have done my "due dilligence" before I purchased Evernote. I am not a child, and any way you look at it, her univited response was rude. I NEVER complained about Evernote's features. My complaint was the way users are being put down by simply making a request. It is extremely unprofessional, and I seriously doubt the owners of Evernote would approve of the agressive, bullying tactics being used to stifle criticism. I, for one, will never post another question on this forum, because I am a paying customers and I deserve the respect that should be afforded to all users of the product.. paid or free. I'm sorry that your find it unfortunate that I made a "rash decision". The only rash descision that I have made so far is coming to this forum seeking help. You can bar me, and call me any name you want, but I do not have to accept this kind of response for anyone.

Yes, please report me and delete me from access to your forum, as I do not wish to accidentally click on this link again, and don't bother to respond as I will not see it or read it. Have a nice life.

I also would like password protected notebooks and/or notes. I am an experience software developer and my view is that it most probably is not a very difficult thing to add. The difficult part is probably the user experience design, and to provide means for users to recover lost passwords (for example by some sort of key escrow). I'm assuming that "password protected notebooks" would be implemented using encryption (that is the solution I would select) which would lead to good extra security.

I'd love to see Evernote add this functionality, but I'd be happy to accept it being a bit difficult to use even, since I need it only for selected notebooks.

I'm sorry if following is off-topic, but I want to state that I find these forums very unfriendly. People like BurgersNFries who talk down to people, tell them what they need and not, tell them what they know or not, makes me not want to discuss anything here. Instead of trying to find faults in anything that even remotely criticizes Evernote, why not try to see the best in people and interpret what they write in a positive way?

I'm sorry if following is off-topic, but I want to state that I find these forums very unfriendly. People like BurgersNFries who talk down to people, tell them what they need and not, tell them what they know or not, makes me not want to discuss anything here. Instead of trying to find faults in anything that even remotely criticizes Evernote, why not try to see the best in people and interpret what they write in a positive way?

I don't know how many times this needs to be said. Maybe it's best to simply lock the thread...

This is not your medium to discuss what you like or dislike about me. This is also a public board and I have just as much right to post here as you do. If you feel any post by me (or anyone) goes against the forum code of conduct (located here: https://discussion.evernote.com/index.php?app=core&module=help&do=01&HID=13), which BTW yours does, you are free to use the report button that appears on each & every post.  However, it's not for reporting posts you simply don't like by people you don't like.  That's part of life.

You are also free to not read my posts, if they are so upsetting to you.  I suggest that when you say "Now, back to the topic at hand:" that that includes you...because you felt right at home jumping on the bandwagon derailing this thread. 

So maybe now the thread really can get back on topic...

Folks, again I urge you read the Forum Rules of Conduct. Please pay particular attention to Rule 1: "Stay on topic." and Rule 4: "Don't engage in flame wars".

• Level 5*

Apologizing for writing off-topic material doesn't make it any less off-topic. Please stop. For people who find a particular post to be in violation of the forum rules, the correct way to deal with it is to use the "Report" link at the bottom right of the note.

Archived