(Archived) shortcut for indent/un-indent not work on macbook pro

bfnt

Idea

Indenting is a necessity for 90% of my workflow. Since I indent text as I write, I need to use a shortcut for it, using my touchpad or doing a vulcan neck pinch-style combo via menus is out of the question.

The shortcut listed for indenting is shift-apple-right square bracket, but on my macbook pro this does not work, instead the text gets right-aligned.

To get a square bracket ] I need to press alt-9 on my macbook pro. The Evernote shortcut for align right is alt-apple-right curly bracket. The macbook pro keys to get a right curly bracket is alt-shiht-9.

It would seem that Evernote shortcuts does not play nice with macbook pro's standard keys for special charachers.

As a new mac user coming from windows, I am happy to see that osx has a myridad of power shortcuts. And I can therefore understand that many software designers might have a problem setting up their own shortcuts since so many are either already globally taken by osx, or at least work in more or less the same manner through most programs and should therefore not be used for a significantly different function in any software, since that breaks the user experience.

I am a new user of Evernote also, and my suggestion below might not be practical for some reason that I haven't guessed. But the problem must still be solved in some way.

I suggest for Evernote that the tabulator key gets the function of indent, or rather that indentation gets replaced with a classic word processor tabulator function.

5 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

What MacBook Pro/keyboard are you using? None of these shortcuts are standard (nor applicable) for the default English QWERTY keyboard. The keyboard shortcut you mention for indenting works for me, though. But when I want a square bracket, I hit the ] key on my keyboard. When I want a curly bracket, I hit Shift+], and I get }. Why do you need shortcuts for keys that are on the keyboard? Also, MacBooks, pro or otherwise, haven't had an Apple on the Command key for quite some time, which also intrigues me with your question. 

I can at least tell you that on the standard English QWERTY keyboard on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8.3 running Evernote 5.0.7, hitting Tab indents in Evernote.

Thank you for the response

Sorry, should've mentioned I have a Swedish keyboard layout, 13" retina macbook pro. I actually don't know how the english key layout looks, but on my keyboard there is no dedicated key for square bracket, you get it by doing what I described. It's the keys for 8 and 9, they give ( and ) with shift, [ and ] with alt, and with alt plus shift I get { and }. Which is the standard Swedish keyboard layout for all normal computer keyboards, although in windows I think it's 'alt gr' for the { }

I called the command key Apple key just out of old habit, though this is my first mac the first apple I saw at a friends was the old mac plus :-)

When I press tab in Evernote I get five standard spaces wherever the cursor is.

I can at least tell you that on the standard English QWERTY keyboard on a 15" MacBook Pro Retina, OSX 10.8.3 running Evernote 5.0.7, hitting Tab indents in Evernote.

Are you sure about that? I never noticed before, but it does appear that Evernote serves you five spaces, not an indent, when you use the tabulator key. Try copy the text into a text processor that shows invisble characters. I tested both in TextSoap, TextWranger and Pages, all same result: Evernote does *not* indent when you the ⇥ key. (Tested here on 10.8.3., Evernote 5.0.7 on both an Apple Wireless Keyboard and a MacBook Pro).

Indenting is a necessity for 90% of my workflow. Since I indent text as I write, I need to use a shortcut for it, using my touchpad or doing a vulcan neck pinch-style combo via menus is out of the question.

The shortcut listed for indenting is shift-apple-right square bracket, but on my macbook pro this does not work, instead the text gets right-aligned.

To get a square bracket ] I need to press alt-9 on my macbook pro. The Evernote shortcut for align right is alt-apple-right curly bracket. The macbook pro keys to get a right curly bracket is alt-shiht-9.

It would seem that Evernote shortcuts does not play nice with macbook pro's standard keys for special charachers.

As a new mac user coming from windows, I am happy to see that osx has a myridad of power shortcuts. And I can therefore understand that many software designers might have a problem setting up their own shortcuts since so many are either already globally taken by osx, or at least work in more or less the same manner through most programs and should therefore not be used for a significantly different function in any software, since that breaks the user experience.

I am a new user of Evernote also, and my suggestion below might not be practical for some reason that I haven't guessed. But the problem must still be solved in some way.

I suggest for Evernote that the tabulator key gets the function of indent, or rather that indentation gets replaced with a classic word processor tabulator function.

Hello, I have a Danish Apple keyboard and understand your pain. Many of Evernote's keyboard shortcuts are awkward for non-English keyboards. Fortunately, you can go into "System settings > Keyboard > Program Shortcuts" hit the + button and assign keyboard shortcuts to any Evernote menu item. Note, you can also *change* existing keyboard shortcut. It helps with the annoying shortcuts that use brackets.

Hello, I have a Danish Apple keyboard and understand your pain. Many of Evernote's keyboard shortcuts are awkward for non-English keyboards. Fortunately, you can go into "System settings > Keyboard > Program Shortcuts" hit the + button and assign keyboard shortcuts to any Evernote menu item. Note, you can also *change* existing keyboard shortcut. It helps with the annoying shortcuts that use brackets.

Thank you very much! I actually had no idea that os-x lets you do that and that it's set in the os, not in each app. I'll try it out.

• Level 5*

Are you sure about that? I never noticed before, but it does appear that Evernote serves you five spaces, not an indent, when you use the tabulator key.

Ah, yes, I did know that, actually (from my testing)... what I didn't realize was how the five-space indent and the Cmd+Shift+Right Bracket indent were functionally separate items, until just now. You learn something new every day! ;)

I can at least mention that the listed shortcut does work on an English keyboard, so it might be that because your keyboard is Swedish you have this problem. Here's to hoping that changing the shortcut works for you!

Archived