REQUEST: Increase limit on number of notebooks

rnjstevens

Idea

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the EN developers say they read the forums, I'd like to add my voice to those who want an increase in the number of notebooks. Although I'm only on about 120 notebooks at the moment, I can see this increasing in time as I put more into EN.

To those who advocate tags, I'm happy they work for you, but my workflow is perfectly served using multiple notebooks. Thanks.

I see this topic was created a long time ago, but I was just hit the notebook limit myself and am furious.  I read everyone's comments on how tags are the same thing, yada yada, but by definition they are NOT.  I am a real estate agent and have a notebook for each of my clients.  The notes within their notebooks follow I system which I created.  I have my client notebooks in stacks (Acitve, Pending, Sold, and a few other stacks depending on how far out that client is from doing anything).

When I open my Evernote, I see all of my stacks... I expand them to see my clients from birds eye view so to speak.  It's very organized and efficient.  I share my notebooks with my clients as well so they can see the process in real time and contribute if they wish.  It took my business to a new level when I began offering this innovative service.

Sure I could have those stacks as simply notebooks with a whole bunch of notes with tags for each client.  But that would be like going back in time to when I had physical files and racks sitting on my desk and a bunch of paper scattered around with no organization to it whatsoever.

As a Realtor, I multi-task and deal with emotions for a living.  Opening a notebook and seeing 10000 notes would be senseless at best.  FAIL!!!!!!

I don't really understand why you're furious.

When you started to use EN didn't you see the notebooks limits?

It is obvious that this limit will be hit if you use them one per client. No ?

If your post is to search solutions I'll be glad to help. If it's just to say "more notebooks" I fear you'll have to wait.

Better D,

I understand your frustration. For a product that wants to be the place to store all your notes, Evernote has a surprising number of limitations. If a competitor came along that didn't have these restrictions, I'd jump without hesitation. Instead, we get features like business chat and a presentation mode. Useful for some I'm sure, but worthless to me.

Sadly, I don't think complaining here does anything (except generate bad press for Evernote, and increase user frustration because we're ignored). You'll probably just get comments about how you're using Evernote wrong.

The bad news is that your comment is useless and doesn't help Better, the good news is there is probably multiple solutions which could help him to run his business with EN.

Wrong or right he hit the limit (a technical one, increase it will have costs) and have to find solutions.

I appreciate the responses.  You ask why I didn't research the limits ahead of time... My answer: because I was taught by someone else to use this for my business; and this person is an Ambassador for Evernote!  [don't worry, I've made my frustration known to that person]

But to piggy back that... I just got on Evernote's website to search for those limits, mainly to see how deep I would have to go to find it... All over the website, on every page that anyone would browse when entertaining the idea of downloading the app, it states how it will do anything your business or life requires.. one workspace no what form your writing takes.  When you explore all of Premium's features, it specifically states "Unlimit yourself... keep all work related files together without ever worrying about space."  Even in the comparison after you click learn more about Premium, in all CAPS it says UNLIMITED!  That's it; that's all it states.  There is no prominent tab directing you (or suggesting that you look into) a chart informing you about limits.  Not until one browses the "support" page or "Blog," is there anything this limit.  And people don't typically think they have to go to support to learn about such an important "heads up."

Furthermore, the mere existence of Notes and Notebooks implies that's how Evernote intends for you to use their product.  Then they came out with Stacks, further steering someone to use that particular organizational structure.  If they intended us to use tags to such an extent, the tags would have a much larger presence in the main display of your files when you open Evernote... at least to me, that makes more sense.

If someone from Evernote would simply say that to allow for more notebooks would take up too much space on their servers, I would say fair enough; just tell me how much more money you need... but then I would question the advertisement of something being UNLIMITED without any asterisks.

But for a company to have 51million users, one would think they could accompany everyone better.

I appreciate the responses.  You ask why I didn't research the limits ahead of time... My answer: because I was taught by someone else to use this for my business; and this person is an Ambassador for Evernote!  [don't worry, I've made my frustration known to that person]

But to piggy back that... I just got on Evernote's website to search for those limits, mainly to see how deep I would have to go to find it... All over the website, on every page that anyone would browse when entertaining the idea of downloading the app, it states how it will do anything your business or life requires.. one workspace no what form your writing takes.  When you explore all of Premium's features, it specifically states "Unlimit yourself... keep all work related files together without ever worrying about space."  Even in the comparison after you click learn more about Premium, in all CAPS it says UNLIMITED!  That's it; that's all it states.  There is no prominent tab directing you (or suggesting that you look into) a chart informing you about limits.  Not until one browses the "support" page or "Blog," is there anything this limit.  And people don't typically think they have to go to support to learn about such an important "heads up."

I think your statement on how and where infos are presented is a usefull feedback. It probably could be improved.

Furthermore, the mere existence of Notes and Notebooks implies that's how Evernote intends for you to use their product.  Then they came out with Stacks, further steering someone to use that particular organizational structure.  If they intended us to use tags to such an extent, the tags would have a much larger presence in the main display of your files when you open Evernote... at least to me, that makes more sense.

A lot of people focus their mind and their system on Notebooks, they consider as OS folders, and would like to use as a catch-all organisation element - but they're not. Tags are.

So I agree they should find ways to underline the use of tags, because EN's power relies on it, and the search features.

You have to figure out that when you have thousands of items a point&click approach is way less efficient than a search query, always. And it's not EN specific.

Are you aware of search grammar ? Knowing what you can do with search help to build a system (and a workflow) https://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#!/article/23245321

FYI, you can save a search (100 max) and set it up as shortcut for easy access.

For the moment maybe you can free some notebooks who can be "archived". Tag notes with a client tag...

But I fear you'll do have to rethink your system in a short or medium term.

So I've been cleaning up my account (merging notes and minimizing notebooks) to kind of bandaid my situation for now, and I had a thought...

There sure are a lot of folks in this forum who like to emphasize how much better tags are than notebooks.  What's going to happen when you all run out of notes?  You realize they only give you 100,000 right?

I swear I'm not trying to be argumentative here; I simply feel this is a reasonable question on the matter.  And please don't give me the, "that will never happen in my lifetime" response... that's not an adequate response.  I ask you all to seriously consider my question.  If need be, imagine if the note limit was only 1,000 (one thousand), which is just as arbitrary as 100,000.  What would you do if you hit the limit?  I read one response where someone writes articles for different magazines or something and they have a lot of notes that are tagged.  What is that person going to do if he/she ever receives a response of being at their limit?

I believe this to be a very serious issue when Evernote advertises "remember everything," "unlimited storage," "never worrying about space"...  because having a limit on either notebooks or notes (or tags for that matter) is a contradiction of what they claim to offer.

I love Evernote.  I think it's a brilliant app/program.  If they were a start up company, I would completely understand.  But this is a silly issue for such a large company now.  I really feel, now that they have the foothold that they do in the market, they could either open this up to truly be unlimited or provide a explanation of why they have a limit for ANYTHING on something for which they charge; especially without the option to pay for unlimited.

A response of "it is what it is; you'll just have to adapt" is simply a cop-out and does not suffice.

What is the max value you can write with 2 digits ? 99 right ?

What is arbitrary here is the 2 [digits] "boxes", the constraint is the numerals you can use, 0 to 9.

Computers works the same way and softwares too. A database is like a collection of excel sheet, where each column have a defined  size. And computer are stupid (but speedy), they have to know the size and they'll use all this size in their working memory even if you only have to use 0 to 9 as max value.

Larger the numbers are, larger you use memory and processor.

Then, what if I want to use this 2 digits to write people age ? Is it enough or not ?

- if there is some centenaries in my clients...I've got an issue

- but if I only have active people in my clients... it's perfect

- and if I only have baby, well it works but I've got one useless case... I waste resources.

There is no more random or arbitrary here than in the prices you set or the budget you have.

This is by design.

EN has been designed - his limits and features - for an intended use. And they estimated 250 NB, 100k notes, 100k tags... were confortable limits for this use.

(about "unlimited" ads, well I agree. This is not EN specific but this is toxic marketing -  I guess few people believes something could be really unlimited - only imagination is :) )

• Level 5*

There is no more random or arbitrary here than in the prices you set or the budget you have.

This is by design.

EN has been designed - his limits and features - for an intended use. And they estimated 250 NB, 100k notes, 100k tags... were confortable limits for this use.

I'm not sure I get the point of your digits discussion, but there is nothing magic about the number 250 in the computer world.  It certainly does NOT represent any type of technical constraint.  The Evernote data is maintained in a SQLite database, and there is nothing about it that would prevent a larger number of Notebooks.

So, I can only conclude that for some unknown reason, back in the early days of Evernote, someone thought it would be better to limit Notebooks and promote the use of Tags.  Personally, I think this was flawed logic.  But, like a lot of decisions, once made it's hard to change (sometimes just for ego reasons).

I don't know if Evernote will ever change its basic model of limited, non-hierarchy, Notebooks.  It seems unlikely at this point.

But Evernote has announced they are hiring a new CEO, so who knows?

When I see 250 I think at 255, which is the max value you can have with 1 byte.

But I just look at the database and notebook's id field is Integer (4 bytes)... so I don't know ^^

Maybe the db structure is totally nuts, or maybe something else is encoded on 3 bytes, or ?... it seems strange to me but I only have basic and superficial knowledge.

That said, if they increase limits or implement nested-NB I won't be opposed. More option, more fun ;)

I'm a stock trader and was planning to use evernote as my note taking on technical analaysis and planning to have a "paid subscription"  by sharing my notebook to my clients.  my problem is not the limit of notebook but the number of people you can share a personal notebook with which is only 500 LOL.

so what I'm requesting is .... atleast give us premium user an option to add more notebooks/sharing limit (not for free ofcourse) but a one time payment.  like $30 for additional 500 number of people you can share a personal notebook with. 

Business account is too much.  what I'm saying is .. there are lots of small and average business who need more but not to the point of what a business account is offering. it is somewhere in between business and premium.  

• Level 5*

Business account is too much.  what I'm saying is .. there are lots of small and average business who need more but not to the point of what a business account is offering.  

I'm not sure how you would know that?

IAC, Evernote just revised their plans/pricing, and it is unlikely, IMO, that they would offer special pricing on just one feature.

If you want to use Evernote, and you need to share with more than 500 people, then a Business account at $12/month is your only choice for the foreseeable future.

If you are charging for subscriptions to your Notebook, then I can't imagine $12 would be much of a cost, especially if you are expecting more than 500 subscribers.   ;)

Nevermind, I guess i'll just upgrade to business if I reach to that limit. I just hope ... that if I reach the 5000 limit.   there is something waiting for me in there. I hope so.   (since my problem is "sharing limit" I hope I can settle an aggrement since in order to share my notebook a client needs to install evernote which is a win win situation for both me and evernote.)

• Level 5*
@keruchan:
Honestly, I don't think Evernote is a good tool for your use case.
EN has none of the key features I'd think you would want:
  1. Scalability
  2. Easy integration to subscribe online, and collect/manage payments.
  3. Notifications to subscribers of new/changed content
  4. Usage tracking
  5. Provision for easy feedback
  6. "Liking"
  7. Comments by subscribers
  8. More options for content display, like internal TOC, expand/collapsible sections, Video/YouTube viewing, etc.

I would think there are online solutions out there for your type of service.  But forum software comes to mind as a potential solution.

Good luck.

nope, trading analysis most often doesn't need comment or feedback. technical analysis will just guide them to what to trade on the next day. what I like on evernote is the feeling of something discrete/private. the most powerfull feature that evernote have that I really wanted is the reminder. which I can set even after a year. usefull for weekly/monthly chart trading plans.  but I'll try to look if there's much better option. thanks!

Archived