Nicolas Dorier

windows Windows Error Code 2732 workarounds

126 posts in this topic

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.

In his note above, evangelist GBarry offered some registry-based tweaks that "advanced users" might want to try.

I'd like to offer some feedback and also some more info with respect to that. Geoff wrote (or may have gathered from elsewhere):

That's yeoman's work right there, and I appreciate both the feedback and the time you took to flesh out a descriptive response and great support for other users, in addition to your warnings--when suggesting things like regedits we should be more oblique with our warnings, you are exactly right. Admittedly I am pulling in information from various sources, and this came from our Windows techs--as I compile what is a single thread of reference for users running into the error. I'm going to have one of our Windows techs drop in here and give a more considered response if needed.  Thank you for the response though--I'll update my post above with a link to your post.

For a more detailed explanation of *why* we're suggesting the workaround (with some additional steps), see this note from our technical support director here, which I've also quoted below: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/22282-✔-latest-evernote-cant-be-installed-after-old-version-not-uninstalled-properly/?p=118027

When we are installing our software, We check for GUIDS in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current\Version\Uninstall key as well as an upgrade key

in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes

Sometimes the keys can become "stuck" and we're unable to remove them, so they need to be removed manually for our install to proceed. You can do this yourself if you're familiar with the Windows registry.

Please find the installer log by following these steps:

1. Open Run dialog (Win + R)

2. In the dialog edit box type:

%TEMP%

and click OK. This should open up a folder in Windows Explorer

3. In the folder locate the file called EvernoteSetup.log

Search the Installer log for the following line:

Located product {something} with upgrade code {something}.

What you want is the first 8 characters of the Upgrade code, reversed. For example, if it is AE2C091E-CF5F-4e30-8659-D640E23A8B99, you will need to search your Windows Registry for E190C2EA.

Open regedt32 from an elevated command prompt and search for:

E190C2EA

You should find 2 keys in registry in HKCR\Installer\UpgradeCodes and HKLU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders

Export them and then delete them. Reboot your computer, then restart the Evernote installation again.

1 person likes this

Ah, my bad. I was viewing other notes in the threads from others who were marked as Evangelists. I'd missed that he was an employee. Either way, I appreciate the efforts of both, and I see that he later replied to my note. Thanks.

You should note that Geoff is an actual Evernote employee, and not a lowly evangelist, who are all just Evernote users (and moderators). I'll leave it for the Evernote folks to evaluate what you've posted about the registry here.

I can't believe Evernote allowed something like this to get through. I've encountered this error on both my home and workstation Windows 64-bit computers. Control panel can't uninstall Evernote. How many thousands of people are having just the same issue?

1 person likes this

Editing the registry to resolve these kinds of issues should always be a last resort.  It has been noted that this specific issue applies to users running 64 bit Windows with 64 bit Outlook installed.

To clarify on the previous registry editing instructions, there are a specific set of registry keys that are frequently left behind that can be deleted in order to resolve the installer code error.  Specifically, the codes are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes \Installer\Products\8CCBB8C436382E113A4F89B41EF571E4

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UpgradeCodes\E190C2EAF5FC03E468956D042EA3B899

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{4C8BBCC8-8363-11E2-A3F4-984BE15F174E}

There are other keys left behind by the normal uninstall process, but it gets a bit too complicated to advise on which ones to remove.  Again, this is a last resort method.  Deleting these keys does resolve the issue for a lot of users with the issue, but it isn't a guaranteed fix for all machines.

Could we please write a KB article on this topic? In Evernote, if I go to "Help > Technical Support" and type "Error 2732", no help is offered.

post-129287-0-51567600-1364505074_thumb.

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

1 person likes this

This is really pathetic. I have tried a half dozen of the suggested fixes, with no luck.

I love Evernote, but the way this issue is being handled is unacceptable. It appears that whatever is causing this problem is also preventing me from accessing my notes in Ever2One converter. Convenient, no?

Have you opened a support request yet? 

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

The recent Windows and Mac Evernote beta issues remind me of the finale for "War Games":

The problem is occurring in the publicly released Windows version (4.6.4), not the beta version, at least the ones I've been tracking, and appear to be installer-related only. I saw this problem only when upgrading to 4.6.4; fortunately I had an easier time resolving it than some folks. The Mac issues are a different ball of wax, relating to a largish UI redesign and its release on an unsuspecting public.

>>>>>>>>>"The only winning move is not to play."

Uh, War Games was a pretty silly movie, with respect to computer issues. I mean, the ultimate scene had the computer guessing a password one character at a time. It was a cute movie to that point, if you weren't particularly up on computer issues, but really...

Not a beta? Then it's even worse.

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

With the ongoing problems associated with the Evernote upgrade; and the multiple different workarounds include:

• filing support requests,
  • 3rd party correction software (Revo), and/or
  • user-hacking into the registry (no thank you),

I'll stand by my initial suggestion not to play the game and wait a month+ until the forum complaints on this public-release upgrade mess cools down.

Umm. Why do I need to tinker with a workaround when the solution should be behind the scenes within the installer ie. next Evernote for Windows update? 

I'll continue to use an older version of Evernote and gradually copy and paste my Notes to another app. I shall be encouraging others including blog writers et al to do the same. 

Evernote support is hideous, to say the least and there should be serious consequences for them as a result. 

Can you please post your ticket number so I can determine where you have had issues with our support team? We do address all issues with our agents so we can correct them.

This is just another passive-aggressive Evangelist response to shoot the messenger by ridiculing their suggestion. Some of us might not be up on the latest computer issues, but really... that does not solve the problem.

Not in quite the same way as quoting Hollywood wisdom solves the problem, eh? JB, you used to be a helpful forum member, then you flamed out and vowed never to post here again. Well, OK, that happens, but I was sorry to see that; however, at this point, having decided to return again (also your prerogative), you seem to only be motivated to post here in order to toss dour darts at Evernote. If that's your idea of problem solving behavior, well, I don't get it. On the other hand, if you decide to return to being the helpful forum member that I recall, then I'd welcome that. Is that direct enough for you?

1 person likes this

THIS IS BULLSHIT !

FIX YOUR SOFTWARE, DON'T BLAME IT ON WINDOWS REGISTRY !!!

I face exactly to the same problem for three weeks ago... but I won't explain it like this.

I'd prefer to hope for a "magic" solution by Evernote team.

- I cannot uninstall Evernote and cannot upgrade with the downloaded executable.

- I waited a few days because I believed it was just your MSI package that was bad... However, my problem persists.

I have three computers and I get the same problem on each.

I opened a ticket today... We will see what "premium support" will tell me.

post-85065-0-43590700-1364820122_thumb.p

Well, I had the same problem on my Win7 64bit machine. No chance to update. However, today I started evernote.msi in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Temp and the installation worked witthout any problem. I am very curious to the next auto-update.

2 people like this

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

For everybody having the following problem

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.

Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

I could not even uninstall !

Here is the fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

I sum up my steps, I did Fix 1 and Fix 2 but maybe only one is necessary.

Fix 1

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Reinstall

Fix 2

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

regsvr32.exe /s /u "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]EvernoteOL.dll"

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

Excuse me but I got 2 questions:

1/

-Execute the following command line in admin mode : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

How to execute that command ?  do you talk about windows console ( cmd) ? 

2/ Why do I pay for a service that don't work ?

This is very frustrating from a customer point of view ....

Ok Now I'm stucked can't uninstall and can't install

I don't understand why installing a third party app or messing in the registry are the only solutions for users who cannot uninstall Evernote. Both of these seem to be a major risk to users. Perhaps I should also have completed a full Windows backup before installing a third party app that I have never heard of nor trust?

I fully agree with the previous comments. I opened a ticket in Evernote support... For the moment, the problem has not been solved.

I paid Evernote since the first versions and I'm really surprised that the answer of this problem is to install new software to be able to uninstall Evernote, alter/modify registry etc. Why not format C:\ ?

Obviously, I would prefer a new MSI that JUST works...

For the moment, I continue with the support... Last try, create a log file for the support. We will see...

To VideoSavant, Hmmm, J oe, layonl, Larkspur, thibaultg, et. al.
Thanks for keeping us updated. Sorry if this bothers some evangelists.

The installation problems continue with version 4.6.3 and 4.6.2

I am sticking with version 4.6.2.7927 (268435) Public which I installed back on Feb 2.

Until I see a viable solution to the 64 bit Windows problem (confirmed by Evernote Employee Automatica) on some future release, my own 64 bit Windows version 4.6.2 is the version I am staying with.

A word of advice to other users, be very cautious with Evernote upgrades. Let someone else find the problem; work through various diagnoses; and multiple fixes.

Dragging your feet on upgrades, along with keeping multiple backups are good options to take if you want to protect your Evernote personal data.

@jbenson2 issues are plaguing not only the desktop app but android apps as well. I know in the past, I had to run a much older version of Evernote (saved as a backup) to be able to use it on my Android device. Granted, I kinda expect more instability with Android due to the many variances of devices out there. However, I do NOt expect such poor programming for a widely used desktop platform like Win 7x64. 

i am pretty confident that if Evernote's inadequacies manifest themselves on iOS, Apple will quickly lean on them to provide a fix. Obviously, that's not the case on a Windows machine. 

As stated before, time to find other alternatives to Evernote. Eventually, Evernote developers will need to be able to produce a better product or they will be replaced by some other app that will take it's place. Me thinks this may be something Google is working on as we speak. 

Nicolas Dorier's Fix #2 got me past the 2372 error allowing the update to 4.6.4 to apparently succeed, but when the installer finishes version 4.6.3 is still installed!

Evernote: This issue and the lack of communication from you on it have been extremely weak on your part. I've been an Evernote user for two weeks, during which there has been a constant stream of installation error messages on my computer. Your note software is great, but it's just barely worth the hassle if I need to dig through forums, mess with registry keys, etc..

Software updates should be invisible to users. Please see how Google Chrome and Spotify update themselves - at high frequency, without notifying you, and for the love of god, without making the user dig through forums to manually modify registry keys!

I had a ticket opened at the Evernote support...

At the beginning they answering me but for a while I get no answer...

Fortunately, I'm premium user and I should have a 24hrs-answer ...

I read the post about going to temp files - found the Evernote.msi installer - double clicked it and it worked flawlessly - have had this problem for weeks and this was such an easy fix! So here are the steps - Computer - Local Disk (C:) - Users - (your name) - AppData - Local -Temp - Evernote.msi  Windows Installer Package  53,168 KB.  Good luck.

1 person likes this

FINALLY. The only option that worked for me is the one above using the Temp file.

I already responded to another topic, but few people willl be patient enough to go to page 3...

For everybody having the following problem

Error (2732) as installing 4.6.4.

Or .\Boostrapper.cpp:886 0x643 Fatal error during installation.

I could not even uninstall !

Here is the fix, I reversed the Evernote msi, seen the logs and fixed what's going on.

I sum up my steps, I did Fix 1 and Fix 2 but maybe only one is necessary.

Fix 1

-Go to folder : C:\Program Files (x86)\Evernote\Evernote

-Reinstall

Fix 2

-Go to C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Evernote\Evernote\AutoUpdate

-Execute the last version. (it will probably fail again)

-Rexecute the following command line in admin mode, just to be sure : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

-Install only for this user C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Temp\Evernote.msi

For the Evernote team

Your problem comes from the Unregisterx64OLAddin action.... I have no reason why.

regsvr32.exe /s /u "[APPLICATIONFOLDER]EvernoteOL.dll"

I am not sure why... but my logs show than when I execute .msi directly, then it execute Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin instead, it worked. (my UAC in disabled)

When executing en .exe, the Unregisterx64OLAddin was running and crashed. So I'm not able to tell you if the fix was me running the command regsvr manually OR running .msi directly.

I guess than running MSI manually worked with because I selected "Only this user" made the condition :  Installed AND (OUTLOOK_BITNESS ~= "x64") AND ALLUSERS AND AdminUser AND (NOT ((VersionNT = 501) AND (VersionNT64))) false so Unregisterx64OLAddinNotAdmin runs instead.

Whatever, I try it fails.

I tried the command : regsvr32.exe /u EvernoteOL.dll

And I get the following error message : "The module "EvernoteOL.dll was loaded but the call DLLUnregisterServer failed with error code..."

See attachment.

Evenote "premium" support seems to be bored by my request and finally did not answering me anymore.

post-85065-0-63165500-1365239792_thumb.p