(Archived) Importing from Google Drive and Pinboard?

JaclynM

I am ready to take the plunge and start using Evernote, but I'm not sure how to transfer what I already have. I have a few hundred tagged documents in Google Drive, and over 1500 tagged bookmarks in Pinboard, but neither of those of course have a way to export as .enex format. Is there any way to import these items into Evernote, with tags? Or am I stuck with re-entering them all manually?

• Level 5*

Evernote can import any file type as one note,  or a set of individual notes - look up Import Folders if you're a Windows user,  and just put your exported file(s) in a folder to be transferred to Evernote.

Evernote can import any file type as one note,  or a set of individual notes - look up Import Folders if you're a Windows user,  and just put your exported file(s) in a folder to be transferred to Evernote.

Is there a way to include the tags in the import?

• Level 5*

Not to my knowledge - if you don't have too many tags you could export files tag by tag into suitably named folders,  then set up an import folder into a new temporary LOCAL notebook in Evernote.  Dump the contents of the "tag1" folder into the import folder. Go to Evernote and tag all the notes in the temp folder as "tag1"...  and so on.  Once your transfers are complete you can move files from the local notebook into your default notebook online - subject to note size and upload limits!.

Edit:  with the second and subsequent transfers you'd need to look for untagged notes in the local folder and tag only those notes... obviously!

I don't use Pinboard, or know much about it, but it is possible to export bookmarks in Firefox html format (see here).  This file can then be brought into Evernote by dropping into an EN Import Folder.  This leads to all of the bookmarks being in a single note, but they are at least searchable.

Archived