(Archived) Feature request: highlighting selected text

Ericmca

We need that feature so much....

I don't know why this takes so long to implement, is it so much work on your hands?

Yes, EN has a lot of feature requests. It may not take long to implement this. OTOH, it may not be that high on their priority list. Is it helpful? Yes. Is it a need? No.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone said this is fixed in iOS local EN?  Please tell me how!

And BurgersNFries, please -- very few things are a need when it comes to software these days.  Obviously, crashes and syncing issues are top priority, but I don't see why this feature isn't already in there.  Seems an obvious addition to a program that's so popular now. 

Please Evernote, continue to make my life work better, with a handy highlighter.

And BurgersNFries, please -- very few things are a need when it comes to software these days. Obviously, crashes and syncing issues are top priority, but I don't see why this feature isn't already in there. Seems an obvious addition to a program that's so popular now.

I don't know how to say it any more clearly than I did above. The fact that you don't like an answer does not diminish the validity of the answer.

• Level 5*

And BurgersNFries, please -- very few things are a need when it comes to software these days. Obviously, crashes and syncing issues are top priority, but I don't see why this feature isn't already in there. Seems an obvious addition to a program that's so popular now.

I don't know how to say it any more clearly than I did above. The fact that you don't like an answer does not diminish the validity of the answer.

It's not about how clear your answer is, it's about how unneccessary it is. Whether or not the request is a high priority within Evernote is not an answer to why it shouldn't be a high priority, that's just circular reasoning. And like JuliaL said, no feature is really needed, in fact Evernote is not needed. But it sure is helpful, just like a highlight feature would be to a high degree among plenty of people. Some people also seem to have a problem grasping the function is of these threads. This forum is one of the few places where people can submit and discuss feature requests, and for every new thread or new post on a subject discussed so many times before is unvaluable in the sense that it keeps showing what new users wish for and old users keep wishing for to the degree that it won't stop until it's been implemented. And I have yet to see Evernote asking anywhere else what type of features their customers want. And a business that has grown too big to care about it's users would be a business grown too big for it's own good. I'm not saying that applies to Evernote, but it does apply to your answer.

And if you don't like my answer, it does not diminish the validity of the answer.

And I can also mention that I have a PC, a windows phone, an android phone and an android tablet, but I am strongly considering buying an Ipad mini JUST for the highlight feature in iOS. That means that $250 that potentially could have went into Evernote instead goes into Apple. It will take Evernote over 4 years to get that type of money from me. OTOH, would Evernote see more money as helpful? Yes. Is it a need? No

It's not about how clear your answer is, it's about how unneccessary it is. Whether or not the request is a high priority within Evernote is not an answer to why it shouldn't be a high priority, that's just circular reasoning.

As has been stated over & over, EN does not share their roadmap. So if you're looking for a definitve "why" from Evernote Central, you're not going to find it here, no matter how many times you post it. That should be pretty clear to you by now.  So the closest thing you're going to get is a speculatve/all encompassing 'why' from other users like myself.  If that doesn't satisfy you, then sorry.  But hey, feel free to continue to request a definitive 'why' from Evernote central.  But you should also expect to receive replies similar to mine in return.

And I have yet to see Evernote asking anywhere else what type of features their customers want.

Please see my reply above.  It should also be clear to you by now that EN DOES read all the posts on this board & adds them to their feature request list.  But that doesn't mean they will implement the feature request soon, really soon or ever.  And they do not post polls for user input. 

And if you don't like my answer, it does not diminish the validity of the answer.

Well, except I wasn't asking a question, so your reply is not an "answer".

• Level 5*

It's not about how clear your answer is, it's about how unneccessary it is. Whether or not the request is a high priority within Evernote is not an answer to why it shouldn't be a high priority, that's just circular reasoning.

As has been stated over & over, EN does not share their roadmap. So if you're looking for a definitve "why" from Evernote Central, you're not going to find it here, no matter how many times you post it. That should be pretty clear to you by now.  So the closest thing you're going to get is a speculatve/all encompassing 'why' from other users like myself.  If that doesn't satisfy you, then sorry.  But hey, feel free to continue to request a definitive 'why' from Evernote central.  But you should also expect to receive replies similar to mine in return.

>>And I have yet to see Evernote asking anywhere else what type of features their customers want.

Please see my reply above.  It should also be clear to you by now that EN DOES read all the posts on this board & adds them to their feature request list.  But that doesn't mean they will implement the feature request soon, really soon or ever.  And they do not post polls for user input. 

Well, except I wasn't asking a question, so your reply is not an "answer".

It's funny how you want to lecture me about what an answer is when your response to an open ended question is 'yes' and your answer to 'why isn't it implemented?' is 'don't ask, you will never know'. The 'why'-question still remains, is still relevant and will either way serve just as much purpose as a rhetorical question. By asking the question 'why', the user has a way of criticising this part of the Evernote business strategy.

If Evernote were to remove your favorite feature, like tags, shared notebooks or something else central, it's natural for you to ask why they did it. If the answer to that question is 'EN does not share their roadmap. So if you're looking for a definitive "why" from Evernote Central, you're not going to find it here, no matter how many times you post it', there is a good chance that you're not going to be very satisfied with that answer, since the action would probably seem illogical to you - why remove such a significant feature used by so many? The same can be applied to a few unimplemented features such as highlighting, which seems so logical to implement in a note-taking software that is marketed as a place where you may store everything so that you will be able to find it later on.

We will probably never know how Evernote decides on new features, however that isn't really necessary either, as it either way wouldn't be an answer we would be satisfied with - the answer itself would have no effect on current Evernote's priorities. So the important thing is to keep asking why and try to influence decisions. After that it will always be up to Evernote to decide on what they think is best.

PS. Feel free to check out the word answer in a dictionary. You will most likely get what I wrote eventually.

It's funny how you want to lecture me about what an answer is when your response to an open ended question is 'yes' and your answer to 'why isn't it implemented?' is 'don't ask, you will never know'. The 'why'-question still remains, is still relevant and will either way serve just as much purpose as a rhetorical question. By asking the question 'why', the user has a way of criticising this part of the Evernote business strategy.

If Evernote were to remove your favorite feature, like tags, shared notebooks or something else central, it's natural for you to ask why they did it. If the answer to that question is 'EN does not share their roadmap. So if you're looking for a definitive "why" from Evernote Central, you're not going to find it here, no matter how many times you post it', there is a good chance that you're not going to be very satisfied with that answer, since the action would probably seem illogical to you - why remove such a significant feature used by so many? The same can be applied to a few unimplemented features such as highlighting, which seems so logical to implement in a note-taking software that is marketed as a place where you may store everything so that you will be able to find it later on.

We will probably never know how Evernote decides on new features, however that isn't really necessary either, as it either way wouldn't be an answer we would be satisfied with - the answer itself would have no effect on current Evernote's priorities. So the important thing is to keep asking why and try to influence decisions. After that it will always be up to Evernote to decide on what they think is best.

PS. Feel free to check out the word answer in a dictionary. You will most likely get what I wrote eventually.

Deja vu all over again.  Keep calm & ponder on. 

• Level 5*

Deja vu all over again.  Keep calm & ponder on. 

You're welcome.

• 1 month later...

Indeed, this would be a very useful feature and I agree with the folks that have expressed dismay/surprise  that it doesn't exist.  Evernote is a pretty useful program, although I am not sure the $60 annual fee for premium gives you a concomitant benefit.  

• Level 5*

Archived