(Archived) How many folders, sub folders can be made.

whalegurl

It seems like there are only two levels of folders that can be made in notebook. Am I missing something?

Please search the board on tags and/or sub notebooks/sub folders for more information. This has been discussed a lot already. A lot. In a nutshell, stacks group notebooks. Notebooks contain notes. There are no nested stacks/notebooks in Evernote.  Use descriptive titles, tags & keywords for further organization.

• Level 5*

There are no folders in Evernote, just notes, notebooks and stacks (BnF's description of how these interellate is correct). There are also tags.

Some links from the Knowledge base:

http://evernote.com/getting_started/#3

http://evernote.com/getting_started/

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23530443

http://evernote.com/contact/support/kb/#/article/23194343

• 10 months later...

Tags, tags, tags. Imagine there are many people out there, who don't like tags? Indeed we need a deeper structure in Evernote. Evernote guys, please listen to this people, who need this.

Why is it so hard to understand, that there are people out there, who are thinking in structures, not in tags? Decades of working with real folders and structures, could not be complete wrong.

Am I to old with 47, although being a 100 % paperless guy? Countless real papers are reaching me, my family and my company and getting to Evernote with ScanSnap Scanners and OCR Software. All new documents are meanwhile getting digital in a searchable way and from time to time also the old documents are following them. Also since years I'm using online tools for collaboration or project management, which seems far more progressive than handling everything with e-mail clients. But also these tools offers folders or folder like structures. Still wonder, why I know many twenty somethings, who are stack in "old fashioned" e-mail folder structures or something like that for project work.

I tried it several times with tags, but I failed. Still I'm putting every new document from inbox to stacks and notebooks, as it is the fastest way to handle a big amount of new documents every day.

The point is, I don't want to be creative at the moment, when I have to decide, where a document has to go. Do you know, what search you will do in future? I not! But I know, that I can search through content, and if this not works, I can rely on a well done folder structure, where the chance is big to find my documents as expected. That's all.

• Level 5*

I think they have listened and they've made a design decision. I would guess that the architectural and UI changes required to support a hierarchy across all Evernote clients means that this isn't going to happen in the foreseeable future.

We as users then just have to decide if this is the correct app to use, no one is forcing us to and there are a number of alternatives available. 

• Level 5*

Tags, tags, tags. Imagine there are many people out there, who don't like tags? Indeed we need a deeper structure in Evernote. Evernote guys, please listen to this people, who need this.

Why is it so hard to understand, that there are people out there, who are thinking in structures, not in tags? Decades of working with real folders and structures, could not be complete wrong.

Am I to old with 47, although being a 100 % paperless guy? Countless real papers are reaching me, my family and my company and getting to Evernote with ScanSnap Scanners and OCR Software. All new documents are meanwhile getting digital in a searchable way and from time to time also the old documents are following them. Also since years I'm using online tools for collaboration or project management, which seems far more progressive than handling everything with e-mail clients. But also these tools offers folders or folder like structures. Still wonder, why I know many twenty somethings, who are stack in "old fashioned" e-mail folder structures or something like that for project work.

I tried it several times with tags, but I failed. Still I'm putting every new document from inbox to stacks and notebooks, as it is the fastest way to handle a big amount of new documents every day.

The point is, I don't want to be creative at the moment, when I have to decide, where a document has to go. Do you know, what search you will do in future? I not! But I know, that I can search through content, and if this not works, I can rely on a well done folder structure, where the chance is big to find my documents as expected. That's all.

Tags are organization structures, though of a somewhat different sort than folders. Tags are not some new idea, though -- all they are are simple labels that can be applied to a note, much like one might use keywords in an abstract. You can also build hierarchies of tags and apply them that way, similar to folders, if you want.

This is not a "twenty-something" thing -- I am twice twenty-something and then some (actually older than you). This is learned behavior, as use of folders is, and you can learn it. If you have special use cases, or want advice, feel free to ask questions. There are several viable approaches to solving organizational problems in Evernote.

Am I to old with 47, although being a 100 % paperless guy? 

Tags are definitely not a twentysomething thing. I've got half a decade on you. Discovering Evernote was such a relief to me. Finally, a data storage and retrieval program that didn't force me into a virtual approximation of a physical filing cabinet. Working with real file folders certainly isn't wrong but there's no reason to let it limit you. For some people, tagging takes a bit of getting used to. But it has the ability to give you much more flexibility. For example, where do you put your auto insurance documents? In the folder called "Auto"? Or the one called "Insurance"? Or the one called "Bills"? Or maybe the one called "Things I have to renew in six months"? I found I spent way too much time figuring out which folders made the most sense and then later, because it ended up being an arbitrary decision, remembering which one I'd put it in. Tags allow me to use all of the above categories.

Honestly, even if I forget to tag things, I can generally find something by simply searching Evernote for it faster than I could digging around in folders. So, if tagging isn't working for you, you may want to look a little more closely at Evernote's searching abilities. 

Best of luck. 

Archived