(Archived) Unable to show html content from the import folder (Windows 7)

It is my first time to post a question here. I have been using evernote for about six months and really love it. Today when I tried to import some html files to EN, I encoutered this strange problem:

It seems that EN does not work with earlier version of html file. I have these HTML files from my Windows Live Messenger Chat Log long while ago. They can be opened with any browser without problems. However, when I put them in the import folder of EN, their contents show up a blank in EN. Please check a sample HTML file in the attachment.

I tried the most recently saved HTM files however, they work with the import folder just fine, which leads to my speculation that there is something to do with the older version of html file or there are something specific about html from MSN Chat Log, but how do I make them work?

Thanks in advance!

DS

hgquan@hotmail.com.html

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums.  It seems like you're wanting the html to display the full page within your Evernote note,  but the content has already been clipped with another application which may have added or removed code,  or because these pages are 'older' clips they may contain content which Evernote can't interpret.  If as you say these pages are shown OK in a browser,  why not 're-clip' them into Evernote using that browser's Evernote clipper?

Another way to handle this may be to add the pages as attachments,  so only the icon shows in the note; then to see the content in full,  doubleclick to open in a browser.

Hi and welcome to the forums.  It seems like you're wanting the html to display the full page within your Evernote note,  but the content has already been clipped with another application which may have added or removed code,  or because these pages are 'older' clips they may contain content which Evernote can't interpret.  If as you say these pages are shown OK in a browser,  why not 're-clip' them into Evernote using that browser's Evernote clipper?

Another way to handle this may be to add the pages as attachments,  so only the icon shows in the note; then to see the content in full,  doubleclick to open in a browser.

Thank you! I cannot manually use browser to "re-clip" each every one of them because I have hundreds. That is why I have to use the import folder for automatic importing.  I think you are right in saying the pages contain content which Evernote can't interpret, I will look further into those pages to find out why. It is probably not the problem of EN.

• 9 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hmmn.  Never tried the fix myself - it seemed such a no-brainer.  However you're right.  Good to know...

Plan B then - print HTML to (searchable) PDF and use an Import Folder to suck the files into Evernote.

Archived