(Archived) 2 Versions of Evernote Coexisting on my Computer?

I am soooo confused!

I have been using the desktop version of EN for the past couple of weeks or so, accumulating quite a few notes. Then, when EN was hacked, we were told to reset our passwords. I did that but then was presented with a pristine version of EN - completely empty! I suspect that's the web version.

Throughout all of this I have been using the desktop version without ever closing it down.

The problem is that I lost my pw to that one, and I am afraid that the new pw that they gave me after the hacking won't let me access the desktop version. Am I correct on this?

The reason this has become an emergency is that Windows needs to close down for updates, and every few minutes it keeps telling me it will shut down. HELP!!!!

I am soooo confused!

I have been using the desktop version of EN for the past couple of weeks or so, accumulating quite a few notes. Then, when EN was hacked, we were told to reset our passwords. I did that but then was presented with a pristine version of EN - completely empty! I suspect that's the web version.

Throughout all of this I have been using the desktop version without ever closing it down.

The problem is that I lost my pw to that one, and I am afraid that the new pw that they gave me after the hacking won't let me access the desktop version. Am I correct on this?

The reason this has become an emergency is that Windows needs to close down for updates, and every few minutes it keeps telling me it will shut down. HELP!!!!

If you are using the same account & have successfully sync'd, the same notes are accessible from any client, whether it's the Mac or Windows or web or iOS, etc. The exception is if you have unsync'd notes on a Mac or Windows client & that includes local/non-sync'd notebooks. If your original notes went AWOL after the password reset, were they sync'd? You may also find this post helpful:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35574-notes-missing-after-password-reset/?p=192773

No. I choose not to synch.

If you choose not to sync, you are responsible for making your own backups. I assume you've been doing this...??? Without knowing all the steps you did, IDK why you seem to have lost your data with the password reset. (It actually sounds like you created multiple accounts, like Heather is talking about). But if you had a backup of it, you could retrieve it. Simply rebooting your computer does not cause data loss & unless you log out of your Windows client (as opposed to simply closing the app), you do not need to sign back in.

Ok, I appreciate your trying to help, but please read what I wrote. I never said I lost my data. I said I NEVER CLOSED EN on my desktop, therefore was able to continue using it. So far nothing got lost because I never closed it down. (And frankly, if I had known that I was practically going to be forced to synch my files I wouldn't have started to use EN in the first place.)

I would absolutely love to back up my notes. The problem is, I can't tell which files in EN are the ones containing my notes. When I started to backup EN into my backup service, it started to back up the whole entire program, and I had to stop it and delete what it had done. I then looked in detail at all the folders and was unable to tell which ones contained my notes. Do you happen to know about this?

but please read what I wrote. I never said I lost my data.

Maybe *you* should read what you wrote & then explain what this means... (emphasis mine)

That makes me think you have inadvertently created two accounts like Heather talks about.  OTOH, since you're not sync'ing, sure, if you add notes to the Windows client then use the web client, of course the web client will be empty.  This would be expected, if you're not syncing.  But easy to fix - simply don't use the web client, if you're using the Windows client & not sync'ing.  Easy, peasy.

And frankly, if I had known that I was practically going to be forced to synch my files I wouldn't have started to use EN in the first place.

You are not forced to sync your notes. But that is part of Evernote's draw - being able to collect/organize & retrieve notes from a number of OS's and/or devices. Evernote is clearly a cloud app, so I don't know how you could have overlooked this aspect. But again, you are not forced to sync your notes. 

I would absolutely love to back up my notes. The problem is, I can't tell which files in EN are the ones containing my notes. When I started to backup EN into my backup service, it started to back up the whole entire program, and I had to stop it and delete what it had done. I then looked in detail at all the folders and was unable to tell which ones contained my notes. Do you happen to know about this?

The search function is your friend. In your other thread, I told you which file you need to backup. And please search the message board for more information on backup/restore as this has been discussed a lot already. No need to keep regurgitating the same info in various threads.

Good luck.

Archived