(Archived) Google Checkout

I'd like to Upgrade to Premium.

The only payment option seems to be something called Google Checkout. Weird. And when I try to pay, I get this message over and over:

Oops!

Your account state prevents you from performing this action or seeing the expected page.

To request more information about this issue, please contact Google.

Can I just send a check or pay with a credit card? Why would you make upgrading so difficult?

And why would you use Google Checkout? Who even has heard of it?

If you have to use an online one, perhaps you might consider a company that specializes in payment. They are called PayPal.

Google is an advertising company, in case you didn't realize that, and not really a payment gateway.

Anyway, how can I pay you? (without involving Google, that is..)

Thanks, we hope to have a second option in the not-too-distant future. It turns out that recurring payments (i.e. bill automatically every month) are messy and complicated with each provider, so it takes a bit to make them work right.

Thanks

Hello,

When you say "in the not-too-distant future", what is it? A month? Two months? A year?

I'm very in a hurry! The new feature, by which we could put some Office documents on our account, is exactly what I need right now. If the other payment option arrives in more than a month, me and some other users have to find a new product. I'm frightened of this situation. I praised so many times Evernote, so I won't be disappointed...

Please, help us! We really need an alternative way to pay, like the regular e-credit card that I use normally!

Thanks a lot in advance.

-MATSYA-

I just tested this, and the PayPal logo sends me to PayPal. Many people have successfully purchased through PayPal.

Could you try again? If it still doesn't work for you, please let us know what browser and version you're using, and on which operating system.

Thanks

I just tested this, and the PayPal logo sends me to PayPal. Many people have successfully purchased through PayPal.

Could you try again? If it still doesn't work for you, please let us know what browser and version you're using, and on which operating system.

Thanks

Hello,

First, thanks for this new way to subscribe to Evernote Premium!

Secondly, I have a question about Paypal, because I never use it. Am I obliged to use my (real) credit card number or can I use my e-credit card with Paypal?

Thanks for your response.

-MATSYA-

Secondly, I have a question about Paypal, because I never use it. Am I obliged to use my (real) credit card number or can I use my e-credit card with Paypal?

You should be able to pay with any Paypal mechanism ... we don't require you to use a specific credit card. (We implemented PayPal so that you would have an option if you couldn't use a credit card with Google Checkout.)

Doing a purchase via PayPal does not work for me, either. From FireFox 3.05 I get forwarded to the Paypal-login screen, but upon logging in I am told that the request cannot be processed and that I should return to the merchant to pick another option. Using the Internet Explorer I cannot get to the Paypal-Page at all, both links send me over to Google checkout. I am using Windows Vista as OS.

What can I do, as Google Checkout is no option for me.

You should be able to pay with any Paypal mechanism ... we don't require you to use a specific credit card. (We implemented PayPal so that you would have an option if you couldn't use a credit card with Google Checkout.)

No, I want to know if I can use my e-card with Paypal or if Paypal need to have my real credit card number?

Am I clear enough?

-MATSYA-

Doing a purchase via PayPal does not work for me, either. From FireFox 3.05 I get forwarded to the Paypal-login screen, but upon logging in I am told that the request cannot be processed and that I should return to the merchant to pick another option. Using the Internet Explorer I cannot get to the Paypal-Page at all, both links send me over to Google checkout. I am using Windows Vista as OS.

What can I do, as Google Checkout is no option for me.

Thank you for the report about IE. I have reproduced this issue and filed a bug.

Can you pay with Paypal if you log in to Paypal first, then go to Evernote and choose the Paypal option? I don't get this problem with FF3 on Windows.

@engberg: no, unfortunately it does not work that way either. Might this be related to the fact that I am using a German paypal account? This has caused any problems with other vendors yet, but you never know.

This shouldn't cause a problem for anyone, but that may be relevant. Thanks for letting us know.

No, I want to know if I can use my e-card with Paypal or if Paypal need to have my real credit card number?

No, you don't need a credit card number to pay with Paypal.

In fact you're wrong. I have to give a credit card number to Paypal : paypaloo1.th.png in order to purchase a premium account.

So, I really don't want to give my real credit card number, my adress, my phone number, my name, etc... to Paypal.

Is it so strange the fact that I want to use my e-card (which is more secure and easier to use than Paypal or Google Checkout)?!

I just tried to put my e-card number in the box and I tried to buy a premium account, but the transaction is being processed and never worked.

I feel so angry...

-MATSYA-

Matsya -

What country do you live in? Paypal seems to have a lot of strange configuration options for merchants, and some of them are specific to the country of the customer. We're trying to figure out how to set this up correctly.

Thanks

PayPal's support department replied and said:

"... subscription payments require a PayPal account, and also require that the account have a credit card active on it. If these two conditions are met, when the customer logs in to their PayPal account, they have the option to select the funding source at this time."

So this means that if you want to pay for a subscription using PayPal, you need to have SOME credit card in their records with them. Once you've put this card into their system, you will then have the option to actually pay for Evernote using whatever PayPal mechanism you want.

PayPal's support department replied and said:

"... subscription payments require a PayPal account, and also require that the account have a credit card active on it. If these two conditions are met, when the customer logs in to their PayPal account, they have the option to select the funding source at this time."

So this means that if you want to pay for a subscription using PayPal, you need to have SOME credit card in their records with them. Once you've put this card into their system, you will then have the option to actually pay for Evernote using whatever PayPal mechanism you want.

First, thanks for your response.

Well, I'm afraid that I couldn't never buy a Premium account.

This is exactly the problem. I really don't want to give to E-Bay/Paypal or Google so private informations such as my name, my complete adress, my phone number, the credit card number wich is written on it, the name, it's date of expiration, the visual cipher, etc.

I think that you don't entirely understand what an e-credit card is (in France). If yes, I'll explain it. In fact, an e-credit card is an IT service which is given by my bank. When I want to buy something, I open the IT software, I tell it the amount that I want to pay and in which money (euro, US dollars, etc.), then it gives me a credit card number, a date of expiration and a visual cipher. Those 3 informations could be used once and are valid during a short time.

Do you understand? This system is highly secure and I don't have to give private informations to someone else.

Is there a chance to could buy a Premium account with my e-credit card soon?

-MATSYA-

The credit card requirement from PayPal was a surprise to us. You may want to communicate to PayPal to suggest that they provide an option to purchase subscriptions without requiring a credit card. We would love to see them enable this.

Thanks

The credit card requirement from PayPal was a surprise to us. You may want to communicate to PayPal to suggest that they provide an option to purchase subscriptions without requiring a credit card. We would love to see them enable this.

Thanks

Ok, well, do you have an idea about how I can say this to them? I'm not comfortable enough with English so I think that I couldn't be clear properly.

Thanks.

@engberg: no, unfortunately it does not work that way either. Might this be related to the fact that I am using a German paypal account? This has caused any problems with other vendors yet, but you never know.

The problem might well be related to having a German PayPal account.

I recently ran into difficulty when a merchant was using one of the "national" PP accounts.

PP got if fixed up quickly enough, but it was a PITA and didn't reflect well on PayPal.

The poor merchant wasn't aware there was a problem until I had advised him.

Daly

Ok, well, do you have an idea about how I can say this to them? I'm not comfortable enough with English so I think that I couldn't be clear properly.

Perhaps something like:

I would like to purchase a subscription to a web service (Evernote - http://www.evernote.com) that supports PayPal. I would like to pay for this subscription using the bank e-card connected to my PayPal account, not with a credit card. When I attempt to pay for this subscription, PayPal requires me to enter a credit card number. I do not want to pay for this subscription with a credit card, so I do not want to provide a credit card to PayPal.

Evernote's Support department says that the requirement for a credit card comes from PayPal. PayPal support said:

Can you give me any other option for subscribing to an Internet service via my e-card without requiring me to enter a gratuitous credit card number first?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with German Paypal Account and since I'm living in China I cannot register for google checkout .... hmmm, would be happy if issue with German paypal accounts could be solved or if there would be a simple credit card payment option without using google or paypal.

best & thanks,

.tobi.

We are still working with PayPal to see if they can improve this behavior. They have told us that they do not put information about the specific reason for the purchasing failure on their error page to keep people from circumventing the issue.

In their last email to us, they said:

"Perhaps under a trouble shooting guide you could mention:

Make sure that your PayPal account

- Is in good standing.

- Has a verified bank account and credit card.

- Has a verified email.

- If all above are complete add funds to your PayPal account for at

least the amount of the purchase and retry after funds transfer is

complete."

Archived