• Announcements

• gbarry

Reach out to Evernote support on Twitter @EvernoteHelps   09/20/2016

We've been leveling up our support across all channels. If you're active on Twitter, try your hand with our @evernotehelps feed. It's helmed by a crack team out of Austin, TX who are here to answer your questions. They're generally active from 7am-4pm CST.  https://twitter.com/evernotehelps  
dlu

windows (Archived) Windows 4.6.4 Final Beta (RC)

dlu    628

I would recommend the advice here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35970-windows-464-final-beta-rc/page-3#entry196567

This is just to make sure you're getting REVO to fully uninstall 4.6.3 and because I personally don't like manually fussing with registry entries.

Actually, I just realized there's something else to try. During one of my adventures with this bug, I had thoroughly trashed the registry settings and REVO seemed to not work as expected, nor could 4.6.4 install properly. I had also previously tried to install an older internal build and all sorts of other messy things that you do with test machines. Anyways, I found that I could get 4.6.3 to install cleanly. After that, REVO picked up 4.6.3 AND bits of a 4.6.4 file. I had REVO go delete eeeeeeeeverything it could find. Then a clean install worked like a charm.

So I guess to summarize. Make backups. See if 4.6.3 will install and launch. Then try REVO again. Delete everything possible that's related to Evernote (it sorta hurts to type that sentence...) Then see if 4.6.4 will install cleanly.

danroot    3

I get the same installer errors.  I never had the beta- I get this with 4.6.4 Public (26844).  W7 64bit w/ Office 64bit.  Can we expect an update that fixes the installer, or do we _really_ have to uninstall with REVO and re-install?

dlu    628

I get the same installer errors.  I never had the beta- I get this with 4.6.4 Public (26844).  W7 64bit w/ Office 64bit.  Can we expect an update that fixes the installer, or do we _really_ have to uninstall with REVO and re-install?

From

what I can gather via the very helpful log files people have sent in,

working with Customer Support, discussions with our team and other such

activities, it seems that there is a bug with version 4.6.3 that affects

some Windows 64bit users that also have Microsoft Office 64bit

installed. We haven't been able to narrow down which versions of Windows

64bit and which versions of Microsoft Office 64bit are required in

which combination for this bug to occur. There are just a ton of

versions of Windows, even within Windows 7 there are multiple

variations. The same issue with the Office suite. Trying to find the

right combinations of the two is, what I would describe as frustrating.

Anyways,

back onto the issue. After you've installed 4.6.3 the 4.6.3 installer

is cached by the Windows operating system. So when you try to upgrade to

4.6.4 the operating system grabs the 4.6.3 uninstaller that is cached

and uses that to do the uninstall process. We don't have a way of

forcing Windows to use the fixed 4.6.4 installer to do the

uninstallation, so there doesn't seem to be anything we can do from

within our application. Hence the 3rd party uninstaller (which I

recommend), or the need to manually remove registry entries or files

(which makes me personally nervous, but only because I've personally

done stupid things before).

Anyways, I'd like to emphasize my apologies for this whole affair and that it only affects a subset of Windows 64bit users.

dlu    628

Actually, just found this:

The other workaround is to uninstall regularly, then reinstall 4.6.1, then install 4.6.4, as the issue is with the 4.6.3 install.

I would recommend the advice here: http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/35970-windows-464-final-beta-rc/page-3#entry196567

This is just to make sure you're getting REVO to fully uninstall 4.6.3 and because I personally don't like manually fussing with registry entries.

Actually, I just realized there's something else to try. During one of my adventures with this bug, I had thoroughly trashed the registry settings and REVO seemed to not work as expected, nor could 4.6.4 install properly. I had also previously tried to install an older internal build and all sorts of other messy things that you do with test machines. Anyways, I found that I could get 4.6.3 to install cleanly. After that, REVO picked up 4.6.3 AND bits of a 4.6.4 file. I had REVO go delete eeeeeeeeverything it could find. Then a clean install worked like a charm.

So I guess to summarize. Make backups. See if 4.6.3 will install and launch. Then try REVO again. Delete everything possible that's related to Evernote (it sorta hurts to type that sentence...) Then see if 4.6.4 will install cleanly.

Tried doing this, no Evernote at all now except on the Programs and Features. Still getting the error code 2732 and I have to use the web version of Evernote. So frustrating.

jefito    4,222

Tried doing this, no Evernote at all now except on the Programs and Features. Still getting the error code 2732 and I have to use the web version of Evernote. So frustrating.

@Jenniferlspies: Please try what dlu recommends in the post immediately above yours.

@Jenniferlspies: Please try what dlu recommends in the post immediately above yours.

Can't do that because a newer version of Evernote is technically still on my computer. It won't let me install 4.6.1 and gives me an error "A newer version of Evernote is already installed. Please, uninstall the installed version manually if you wish to install this version."

gbarry    1,562

I'm including a link to three separate steps below, so anyone running into this should try them to get you past this specific error.  It's not a bad note to keep handy for future reference either, since it has links to Revo and the like in it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2372-workarounds/

Jennifer--it sounds like you've done all of the above.  I'm wondering if you are in "Advanced Mode" when running REVO. This is needed to fully wipe Evernote from your computer.  I've added that nuance to the directions included above as well.

NickBr    1

Now I am stuck.  REVO ininstalled 4.6.3, it can no longer see it.  But installing 4.6.4 gives the bootstrap 2732 error.

I'm including a link to three separate steps below, so anyone running into this should try them to get you past this specific error.  It's not a bad note to keep handy for future reference either, since it has links to Revo and the like in it.

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/36401-windows-error-code-2372-workarounds/

Jennifer--it sounds like you've done all of the above.  I'm wondering if you are in "Advanced Mode" when running REVO. This is needed to fully wipe Evernote from your computer.  I've added that nuance to the directions included above as well.

Thanks! That did help (and a lot faster than going through Evernote, even being a premium member). Glad to have the desktop version back!

• Like 1

dlu    628

Now I am stuck.  REVO ininstalled 4.6.3, it can no longer see it.  But installing 4.6.4 gives the bootstrap 2732 error.

Hi Nick, I'd try going into REVO's advanced mode. Even if you see a 2732 error in Revo, you can continue on and just wipe out registry entries & files. That should get you a fresh start. Remember to back up first!

EdH    1,053

EdH,

Thanks for the report - ticket #6171 has been filed for that issue. 

Here is a bug that has cropped up in the last build or two. I never recall seeing it before last week.

Any update on #6171? It is still happening in build 4.6.4.8136. It seems to be worse in that it happens more often and to add more than 3 common tags to notes with the multi-selected pane, I have to just add them manually to each note.

dlu    628

EdH,

Here is a bug that has cropped up in the last build or two. I never recall seeing it before last week.

Any update on #6171? It is still happening in build 4.6.4.8136. It seems to be worse in that it happens more often and to add more than 3 common tags to notes with the multi-selected pane, I have to just add them manually to each note.

Apologies. It is still on our list. If we had a policy of giving timelines, I'd say ... *gets tackled from behind*

• Like 3

EdH    1,053

EdH,

Apologies. It is still on our list. If we had a policy of giving timelines, I'd say ... *gets tackled from behind*

Just an update on this - it gave me the thick white bar today instead of the thin gray line. Shot of it here.

burrt    0

Thanks for the post on the fix

ps: complete ***** though... seriously how did you ***** up an update that badly...