(Archived) Setting default author attribute

I am migrating my employees to a Business account and it would be very desirable to have the author (and last editor) automatically inserted in the appropriate field. This way I can monitor who created and modified notes. 

I see this was a topic some time ago but I see no sign that the feature was addressed or resolved.

Hi and welcome to the forum,

This could be a useful feature which I have flagged for the Evernote team to look at. Totally not sure of the implications so I am by no means saying it will be done of course.

Regards

Chris

Thanks Chris,

It does seem strange that authors specifically need to enter their names. Typing errors and inconsistencies mean that the Author sort function is less useful. Everything is there - the field, the sorting, the note history. Just make it a little easier not to overlook to  set the author.

David

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'll add this to our listing of feature requests for Evernote Business to kick off internal discussion. It's a good idea that we'll look into.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for reaching out to us and I'll add this to our listing of feature requests for Evernote Business to kick off internal discussion. It's a good idea that we'll look into.

Yes please.  This is a huge request that we have here as we push more and more employees to use Evernote.  We are currently resorting to having an employee watch the Activity Logs to figure this out which seems mundane.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would like to add my support for this request. We are at the evaluation stage choosing between EverNote, OneNote and GoogleDocs and although I am personally leaning towards EverNote some of my colleagues regard the lack of automatic author tagging as a possible deal killer.

So, Yes Please from me.

Updating this thread--that feature is presently available--if you look in the "info" section of a note, it will show the author/edited by info.  It seems we may be looking for something more specific--if ya'll are, holler at me with suggestions below.

Updating this thread--that feature is presently available--if you look in the "info" section of a note, it will show the author/edited by info.  It seems we may be looking for something more specific--if ya'll are, holler at me with suggestions below.

Hi gbary,

We're looking to have it auto-populate the author at note creation, not have to go back and update it manually.  

Hrmmm...it is autopopulating though.  I'm staring at business notes right now in Mac that show both the original author and the last editor--neither of which required manual editing of the note info pane.

EDIT: nevermind, I see it happening.  Let me check on this.  No ETAs, but I'd like to get back an answer on whether we have it in the pipeline or not.

Hrmmm...it is autopopulating though.  I'm staring at business notes right now in Mac that show both the original author and the last editor--neither of which required manual editing of the note info pane.

Hmm, not seeing it on PC, version 4.6.6.8360 (268868) Public.  Will be able to verify later today if working on my Mac.

No need--see my edit--I was looking at some that were apparently manually updated.  I'm checking on this.

Thanks gbarry.  Everyone in this thread appreciates the interactive dialogue on this topic, I'm sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Short comment - Please keep this high on priority list/roadmap.

Long version - 

Still having a hard time believing it is not there with the field and everything set up for it. Definitely need it to start moving to next level of collaboration. While I understand there are 42 ways to handle 'updates' the biggest solution is to be VERY CLEAR what the rules would be so we can work around the challenges of any compromise. But this is a very much needed feature. At least allow the editing of the field in clipper saving the need to then 'race' (before the squirrel mind finds a new shiny object) to the client to add the author (and location). It almost makes emailing everything into Evernote a better solution (BTW that adds more overhead for you, and ecologically unfriendly).

Question: Has anyone set up a macro way to handle this (IFTTT or internal keystrokes or other tools) need to add author to each note as it is created?

• 2 weeks later...

It seems natural that it would use your login name (or Display name like the discussion board) to auto-populate the field by the user logged in.  While the ability to change it should remain, it should have a default author instead of being blank by default. I believe that is what is being requested and hopefully will be an easy fix.

• 3 weeks later...

No need--see my edit--I was looking at some that were apparently manually updated.  I'm checking on this.

Any update? Windows user here ... 4.x IMHO EN business is not audit proof at all at the moment. No diffs, no highlighted changes, no simultaneous edits ... :-(

• 5 weeks later...

I posted this suggestion almost 6 months ago and hoped there would be some action by now. I've just updated to Evernote 5 Windows and see that the author field is still not populated automatically.

Inexplicably, the "last edited by" field is. If the program can do one, why not the other? In the new version the author attribute is now not even obvious - it's hidden in the info tab.

Come on guys, why is this so difficult?

David

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed something today with the latest Evernote 5... It looks like a move in the right direction but there looks to be a bit of disconnect.  I created a note in a shared resource and it showed in the header of the note who created it and edited it automatically...

XLYseva.png

But the info window still doesn't contain this information automatically :(.

FMlYvZh.png

Also looks like new Evernote for iOS 7 doesn't contain that type of info anymore so it may never be a priority for Evernote :(.

kl9qwHn.png

Archived