Not enough contrast in Evernote tag page. Hard to read

gotofritz

Idea

Hi

The tag page in Evernote has a grey background, with the tags a slightly different shade of gray, and the text a slightly darker shade of grey.

I can't read them, there isn't enough contrast.

Any chance you could change the colours, or at least make them user configurable?

For your referencem, here's a tool to check whether contrast complies with various accessibility legilslation

http://snook.ca/technical/colour_contrast/colour.html

Thanks in advance

12 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. I agree with you, and I hope that developers on the Mac side are reconsidering their shades of gray. I am a big fan of gray myself, but when it comes to text, I tend to at least want black on a light gray background, and usually black on a white background. Contrast is really important, especially when you spend a lot of time with Evernote.

I'm afraid that I don't have a workaround to suggest in this case. I have tried to change the accessibility settings on the Mac, but to no avail. Grayscale and inverting the colors doesn't seem to help.

By the way, to get an idea of what we are talking about (non-Mac users might wonder about our whining), here are screenshots.

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/29489574-06de-43d9-865a-a081fd9de90b/f569d773e6825dc15314d2029fc60740

Hmm ... that's weird. I seem to see far more contrast in the tag screen: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s3/sh/1ecf1f34-77eb-48ad-81e6-27d3284ff66c/80cc866b30034e50f487667ed242d89b

Also, all notebook titles are black in the dropdown here. 

I am on OS X 10.8.2, EN 5.0.6. The screenshot above is on a cheap LED-monitor. This is what it looks on my 2011 MacBook Pro: screenshot.png

It is not a lot better, but it is better. I wonder why that is.

• Level 5*

GM, your tag screenshot is showing a disabled tag. PG's screenshot more accurately reflects the actual colors.

Well, it is an "actual" screenshot that shows the "actual" colors that exist on my interface :)

I will admit it doesn't show every color, though, and it wasn't my intention to mislead anyone into thinking this is all the interface shows. I should not have shown only the most egregious lack of contrast, though this is the one that bothers me the most. I will correct the screenshot to show all three ("on," "neutral," and "disabled"). It would be nice if we had the kind of contrast seen by tags in the "on" position.

Aha! That explains a lot. I never noticed. No big deal to me; it seems I just accumulate tags instead of managing them ... but I don't see why active tags couldn't have more contrast though and perhaps the disabled tags have the current active tags contrast. Something :)

• Level 5*

Aha! That explains a lot. I never noticed. No big deal to me; it seems I just accumulate tags instead of managing them ... but I don't see why active tags couldn't have more contrast though and perhaps the disabled tags have the current active tags contrast. Something :)

OK. I have modified the note so that it shows all of the options. Personally, none of them even come close to black on white for me, but at the very least, we really ought to move away from the "deactivated" gray on gray (in my opinion).

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s74/sh/29489574-06de-43d9-865a-a081fd9de90b/f569d773e6825dc15314d2029fc60740

Notice that the only Evernote employee response in this thread ignores the central issue. I think it's a case of designer ego vs. user needs. Evernote is a wonderful program, but in this case the users lose. It's been a problem for a LONG time. I don't think they intend to respond. Sad!

As one over 55, with decades of exacting line drawing work (pencil - arch drwgs). I can say Enote's font should be bolder. Background Fine in light grey and/or lightgrey ish Sienna (LESS blue light!

- keep insomnia in mind). And fonts are too lightweight, and too too gray - higher contrast and: BLACK Fonts Please!

Archived