(Archived) Is Evernote for me? Suggestions?

I was looking into moving my documents into Evernote to allow easy access across all my devices. My current paperless setup is centered around my class notes. A couple of years ago I scanned / ocr'd all of my class notes into devonthink pro. At the end of each semester I scan all of my notes and import into Devonthink. 

My biggest concern is the file size of some of my pdf's, some come in at 130mb (engineering notes). How do most people manage larger pdf's? Is their a workflow that someone possibly came up with that auto-splits pdf's if they reach a certain size? 

Also, because I already have a lot of notes scanned, what would be the suggestion to upload them given the limit per month, etc. I don't mind upgrading to premium, in fact given the monthly upload on free, I would have to upgrade or else I'd be uploading forever.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

• Level 5*

Well let's see.  Evernote has a thing called 'local notebooks' that aren't part of your upload limit,  so I'd prioritise uploading only those things that you need to access anywhere,  and put everything else into a local book.  Your 130MB PDFs will break even a Premium note limit,  so you'll have to consider splitting them into sections - no easy route here that I'm aware of other than individual editing.  Or you could extract the text content (Search Grumpy Monkey's posts for his posts on this) and save the -much smaller- file that results.  Or you could look at the various ways to shrink a PDF - a general web search should help with suggestions.

Then.  All you have to do each month is upload your essential files until you reach the limit (Premium users can buy extensions).  If you have months where that limit is not reached with the essential stuff,  you can move some notes from the offline local notebook into online storage.  It'll take some time,  but you'll have everything up there eventually.

• Level 5*

Dropbox doesn't give you the in depth searching options of Evernote though - a good compromise might be to store the overflow documents in Dropbox rather than the local notebook - then all the content is available while roaming.

• Level 5*

I was looking into moving my documents into Evernote to allow easy access across all my devices. My current paperless setup is centered around my class notes. A couple of years ago I scanned / ocr'd all of my class notes into devonthink pro. At the end of each semester I scan all of my notes and import into Devonthink. 

My biggest concern is the file size of some of my pdf's, some come in at 130mb (engineering notes). How do most people manage larger pdf's? Is their a workflow that someone possibly came up with that auto-splits pdf's if they reach a certain size? 

Also, because I already have a lot of notes scanned, what would be the suggestion to upload them given the limit per month, etc. I don't mind upgrading to premium, in fact given the monthly upload on free, I would have to upgrade or else I'd be uploading forever.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi. Here is how I have optimized my account (http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/29245-how-to-optimize-your-evernote-experience/#entry173506). It works perfectly for me. It might be a little extreme for others.

If you can get your pdf's down to a more manageable size then yes, I think you will find Evernote very useful for your purposes.

I agree with Dropbox for storing the pdf's temporarily. But you have a limit to what you can store, so check out this site as well if you need to:

http://www.mediafire.com/

I haven't used it so this is not a recommendation. But at 50GB foc, it might be worth looking at.

But your biggest problem is obviously getting the size of the pdf's down. I use the full version of Adobe Acrobat and because I email a lot of them, I make sure they are at their smallest size when I save them. It might be worth taking one of your larger pdf's and seeing if someone who has a copy of Acrobat can make it small enough for you.

Best regards

Chris

Archived