(Archived) More "desktop"-like functionality/productivity

lawliss

I absolutely love Evernote (EN). I use it dozens and dozens of times throughout the day. More and more, I find myself using my Android tablet for work. Unfortunately, I don't feel as though EN for Android really keeps a lot of the functionality that I have with Windows. Often, I simply have to go back to my laptop in order to not waste time trying to use the Android app. Although, EN for Android is great for capturing things and keeping them in one place.

Here's a few things I've thought about that would help improve how I use EN on Android (and keep me productive):

• Batch operations -- selecting, tagging, moving, etc
  • Ability to see search items in a full window, rather than just a slim little strip (prevents me from seeing all my tags/notebooks properly)
  • Re-order notes within a notebook by tag (similar to the way EN Windows does it --> keeps like tags together w/ 1's before 2's, etc); I often use EN as a way of keeping projects & next items in order of priority via tags, which works out perfectly when clicking on the "tag" heading to re-order items in Windows. However, this isn't an option in Android. True, I could simply search via a single tag, but if I'm using multiple tags or wanting to stay within one notebook without having to do a drawn-out search, I'm out of luck.

That's the big ones right now. I'll add more as they come to mind. Feel free to tell me if I made a mistake, and one of the items I mentioned is already available (I'd be more than pleased).

Hope this helps. Again, I absolutely love EN, and it's one of my favorite tools to use. I'm glad that I can contribute and assist you guys/gals in making this the best product it can be. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Hi - The various Evernote development teams are charged with providing the best interface their particular hardware can support - complicated in the case of Android by the 1,001 different dialects of 'droid as she is spoken by various manufacturers.  I'm sure developments will continue,  but unless someone comes up with a radical new layout design,  or until most OEMs use Android 5.0 (Ragnarok)* and coding is a little more uniform,  I think things may have gotten about as good as they can.

Devs will see your suggestions here though,  so thanks for the thought!

* Kidding,  OK?

• 2 weeks later...

Android UI guidelines specify that in contexts where it makes sense, a long press takes you into selection mode, and then you can act on multiple items. This guideline has been in place since mid-2011.

http://developer.android.com/design/patterns/selection.html

Evernote's app does not adhere to that guideline, and feels clumsy. Other functionality is sparse, too, with fundamental actions like deleting notebooks missing entirely. These are not issues caused by Android. Other Android apps I'm using are well-behaved and feel like they belong on the platform. Frankly, it looks like the devs have somewhat dropped the ball.

• 2 weeks later...

Lately I've been using Evernote at work a lot in conjunction with Google Docs.  It's great to paste the share links to relevant docs in EN notes.  The combination has been very efficient for me because the doc in Google can be collaborated on and the note stays up to date.  Android is my platform of choice, but the inability to create and properly use URL links has got me seriously looking at going back to Windows. 

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the forums. I assume there's an OS issue that limits the creation and use of URLs in Android - there's no rational reason why the developers would have intentionally limited it.  Improvements might have to wait until we're up 5+ versions.  Meantime though,  where and when do you need to create URLs and what is the problem with the current situation?  There may be workarounds we can suggest,  and if there's a compelling use case,  you might get the Devs looking at this situation again sooner rather than later...

Archived